Gem delayed, itinerary change??

lidodeckfan

That is a pretty US centric view.

This happens every day all over the world and don't forget there are millions that do not even have electrical power or a home.

How often do you think about all the africans that die trying to reach europe via sea while you are planning your cruise.

Stop being so hypocritical that is by far worse than the people you attack are.

I think the comment above is a little harsh. I'm not from the US, but over here we as a nation acknowledge that what has happened is tragic. People have lost lives, not to mention the devastation this hurricane has caused to all countries/cities/towns in its path. The US is always the first to help out when tragedies/natural disasters effect other nations. It will be interesting to see how many nations come to their aid.

I think the comment above is a little harsh. I'm not from the US, but over here we as a nation acknowledge that what has happened is tragic. People have lost lives, not to mention the devastation this hurricane has caused to all countries/cities/towns in its path. The US is always the first to help out when tragedies/natural disasters effect other nations. It will be interesting to see how many nations come to their aid.

No doubt about the tragic of the event. And I am sure it would be the same when that had happened in any other country.

But it still is not a valid argument to pick on someone who has valid converns about his vacation and money just because a tragedy happened in his country. As long as you look away from all that tragedy all over the world all the time, and we all do and need to as we could not live otherwise, you have no right to attack someone like it has happened here.

I don't think most folks on here were not empathetic with those who were losing their vacations or were frustrated with getting information. The conversations began to unravel however when the frustration/anger seemed to be misdirected toward NCL/customer service folks and what seemed to be a real dismissal of the enormity of the situation in which NCL (and all cruise lines and all airlines) are dealing. There are many interlocking pieces here--hundreds who could not even get to the pier because the airports are closed and a pier that is closed--and while was a storm was predicted, the exact details were not. And unfortunately it is a pretty bad scenario for New York. The world does not go back into perfect order after an event such as this. And yes--it is sad for those who lose their homes (and unfair), sad for those who lost lives (very unfair), and sad for those who lose vacations (and unfair). But it is the nature of life. These things happen. To think that when they do the world is going to revolve around your needs is just not realistic and it actually puts more stress into your life than is necessary because there is just nothing you can do to make those planes fly or make the port open. And then when you get angry at others and start blaming. . . yes, then people begin to lose their empathy.

I hope that NCL deals with their current pax on the GEM first. They have been on the ship three extra days than what was expected.

I am glad they decided to go to Boston.

Hopefully many of the pax can get home to NY and other areas. I am sure they are worried about their own homes and families.

NCL does need to deal with two situations. I am sure they are doing the best they can.

Yes I am frustrated sitting at home and the kids sent to school instead of frolicking on deck.

I would like to salvage what I can. I have even looked into sailing the Jewel on Sunday, but even still, what if the port is still is not opened.

The port authority website still says the ports are closed until further notice.

I am trying to make the most of it......

I hope that NCL deals with their current pax on the GEM first. They have been on the ship three extra days than what was expected.

I am glad they decided to go to Boston.

Hopefully many of the pax can get home to NY and other areas. I am sure they are worried about their own homes and families.

NCL does need to deal with two situations. I am sure they are doing the best they can.

Yes I am frustrated sitting at home and the kids sent to school instead of frolicking on deck.

I would like to salvage what I can. I have even looked into sailing the Jewel on Sunday, but even still, what if the port is still is not opened.

The port authority website still says the ports are closed until further notice.

Exactly, hopefully you passed this on to your roll call buddy:rolleyes:

I think the 11/4 Jewel sailing is completely booked, and it's still up in the air if they will be able to use the Manhattan port. I am on that sailing, so waiting to see what happens.

Yes, there are differing reports as to when the port will open. Some have said within next few days, others are saying longer. So of course NCL does not know. So this is a terrible holding pattern for those waiting to hear. It is also a terrible time for those doing the work and the safety responses--there is also the issue of whether people can even get to the port as public transportation is not available and the New York airports are still closed. It is truly a mess and difficult to determine how/when things will get straightened out.

My heart goes out to you reasonable folks--I hope in the long run this works out so that you get a well deserved vacation. (RYMOMA I am sure your kids were very bummed to be sent off to school today!!:()

I think the 11/4 Jewel sailing is completely booked, and it's still up in the air if they will be able to use the Manhattan port. I am on that sailing, so waiting to see what happens.

i saw that they are booked solid. it blows that is may effect your cruise as well. i am sure they are coming up with alternatives.

I live 3 hrs north of NYC and about 1.5 to boston so either port works for us

<snip> (RYMOMA I am sure your kids were very bummed to be sent off to school today!!:()

we picked up the dog from the boarder, my oldest kid will be happy but bummed to see her. in his brain he will think that we are not going on vacay at all.

just trying to come up with somewhere to take them on short notice, but alot of money is tied up in waiting on what NCL chooses to do.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Hurricane Sandy Update

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 10am ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Hurricane Sandy has had a devastating impact on New York City, and as a result the Port of New York remains closed and the re-opening date is uncertain.

At this time, Norwegian Gem is calling in Boston to take on provisions, fuel and give guests the opportunity to go ashore. The ship will depart Boston at 3 pm to set sail toward New York where the ship will continue to remain at sea until the Port of New York reopens.

At this time, we anticipate that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. For guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise, we are preparing an alternate itinerary for a five or six-day Bermuda cruise, departing on Thursday or Friday, subject to the reopening of the Port of New York. As a result of the shortened itinerary, guests will receive a pro-rated credit for the missed days based on cruise fare paid.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding and patience as we work through these extreme conditions.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Hurricane Sandy Update

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 10am ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Hurricane Sandy has had a devastating impact on New York City, and as a result the Port of New York remains closed and the re-opening date is uncertain.

At this time, Norwegian Gem is calling in Boston to take on provisions, fuel and give guests the opportunity to go ashore. The ship will depart Boston at 3 pm to set sail toward New York where the ship will continue to remain at sea until the Port of New York reopens.

At this time, we anticipate that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. For guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise, we are preparing an alternate itinerary for a five or six-day Bermuda cruise, departing on Thursday or Friday, subject to the reopening of the Port of New York. As a result of the shortened itinerary, guests will receive a pro-rated credit for the missed days based on cruise fare paid.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding and patience as we work through these extreme conditions.

Thanks, Peg. I was just coming here to post the same thing.

As noted in the large bolded area above, NCL is doing precisely what everyone was trying to get across to those concerned about their hard-earned monies. Those of us who've been around a while knew this would be the case, and I'm glad there's finally some concrete evidence, to help allay the concerns of those who were worried.

I sincerely hope everything else works itself out, and everyone is able to enjoy what will surely be a wonderful, albiet short, cruise.

I can attest to that DH was up on our roof in the dark replacing shingles and we felt very fortunate that what was suppose to leave NYC and keep coming toward us fizzled out.

It's not over yet...it's supposed to cross into Kingston area later today, and then veer toward Montreal.

The whole thing is awful. :(

Agreed.

If there is anyone who is as as angry and annoyed as I am with NCL for dragging us through the mud with all these "delays", you can always file a complaint to the "better business bureau". The more of us that complain about their incompetence, the more they'll have to answer for. But what if both of you are the same person?

I took off work for this vacation, and I can't even go back because I have to sit at home and wait... wait for new updates, any news, anything. At this point, all they had to do was rebook us or refund us. And instead they are stringing us along, and honestly, that is NOT okay with me.

This is my last time with Norwegian.

Actually you COULD go back to work, NOT use up your vacation time, and then once the compensation stuff has been arranged, take a different NCL trip later in the year.

HINT: Telling the company they have unequivocally lost your business already, is NOT the greatest way to entice them to compensate you well. Every good-will dollar they give you, is as useful as throwing it onto a fire... because as you've said, it's your last time. You'd probably bad-mouth them even if they DID give you a refund, but then they'd be bad-mouthed AND out that amount of money.

What would you do, in their position?

Everybody has tragedy in there life. Nobody is going to tell me if I go on a cruise it going to make anybody life any better or worst. If NCL cancels the cruise and put displace people by flood or power onto the ship so they have food, warm water. It would be fine with me. But that is not going to happen. They are a multibillion dollar company that has our money. and just don't seem to give us the respect to tell us anything. I am sure they don't know. But they haven't yet said, we will give you a refund. we will give you full credit. Just sit like a good DOG, and we will bring out the hoop for you to jump through. You are on vacation and you cant do anything until we tell you.

Everybody has tragedy in there life. Nobody is going to tell me if I go on a cruise it going to make anybody life any better or worst. If NCL cancels the cruise and put displace people by flood or power onto the ship so they have food, warm water. It would be fine with me. But that is not going to happen. They are a multibillion dollar company that has our money. and just don't seem to give us the respect to tell us anything. I am sure they don't know. But they haven't yet said, we will give you a refund. we will give you full credit. Just sit like a good DOG, and we will bring out the hoop for you to jump through. You are on vacation and you cant do anything until we tell you.

If you read this whole thread you would see exactly what NCL is going to offer in both small and large print.....take time to read it.:rolleyes: Not sure how anyone expects NCL to tell them what NCL itself has no control over - they can't dock until the port is open - that is not that hard to figure out.

I am sure they don't know. But they haven't yet said, we will give you a refund. we will give you full credit.

You are right. They don't know. NO ONE KNOWS. We all can only work with the information we have at the time.

Obviously they have been working with the Port Authority to get an idea of when they can dock. Here is what they are saying now:

"At this time, we anticipate that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. For guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise, we are preparing an alternate itinerary for a five or six-day Bermuda cruise. As a result of the shortened itinerary, guests will receive a pro-rated credit for the missed days based on cruise fare paid."

And who knows, this may change if the port can't open. But we all have to roll with the punches. Just get prepared for Bermuda and keep your fingers crossed. Mine are.

+2 Jake.

You are right. They don't know. NO ONE KNOWS. We all can only work with the information we have at the time.

Obviously they have been working with the Port Authority to get an idea of when they can dock. Here is what they are saying now:

"At this time, we anticipate that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday...

First it was Tuesday, then Wednesday, now Thursday or Friday. Next it'll be check back on NCL.com Monday night for a possible Tuesday sailing.

Archived