Diamond Princess Asia Beijing to Thailand Cruise

Duane T

Asia was our next destination after cruising/vacations to Europe/Mediterranean and Middle East. We chose Princess based on a successful Baltic cruise on the Crown Princess. We chose to use Princess Air, Princess Pre/Post Hotels/Tours/transfers except for and extra night on our own at the Beijing Marriott City Wall Hotel which we had to make on our own since Princess could not accommodate us with the extra pre-cruise hotel night. In retrospect, we’ll go back and do independent air/hotel/tours on our next cruise.

Pre-Cruise Travel: On the way to the airport from our home, the taxi driver (small women) could not get our luggage out of the trunk of her taxi. I twisted something in my right arm helping her which rendered my right arm somewhat useless as lifting anything caused discomfort for the next 25 days of the trip (What a way to start). Korean Air was an excellent airline with excellent food, service and comfort (US airlines can relearn from how Korean Air treats their passengers). Upon arrival in Beijing International Airport, we had made independent arrangements with the Beijing Marriott City Wall Hotel to send a driver to pick us up as Princess Cruises had told and written to us that our package would not include the airport-hotel pre-cruise transfer since we were arriving one day early. Not only were we greeted by a Marriott Hotel Meet/Greet limo driver in black suit, but we also saw our hand-written name on a piece of cardboard by a women in a sweater who turned out be the local travel agency Princess uses. We went with the Marriott Hotel limo driver and told the Princess rep we would not need their van (we told her what Princess had communicated with us and she apologized on behalf of Princess and left).

The Beijing Marriot Hotel (City Wall location) was a relatively new hotel with excellent service staff, great food/buffet and large clean rooms. I was surprised the rooms were even larger than Marriott hotels in the US with a great view of the city (separate review on TRIPADVISOR.COM). We spent the first day on our own which in Beijing was very easy due to the location of the hotel and nice weather.

The Beijing Chinese tour agency that Princess contracts with was excellent. Their organization and guides were well versed in English, very efficient, always on-time and informative/entertaining throughout the 3-day Princess tours. Our primary tour guide (a college professor) had to leave us on the first day due to a family death, but his protégé stepped right in and took over. She was just as fluent in English and provided excellent commentaries mixed with some humor. The transfer to the ship went flawlessly and we were off the bus through customs/boarding in less than 10 minutes. Our luggage was waiting for us in the balcony cabin (Aloha 619).

ON THE DIAMOND PRINCESS: Our balcony cabin had upgraded LCD Television and everything was what we expected including the older-type shower vinyl curtain, vacuum flush toilets, refrigerator, hairdryer, safe, plenty of storage space/shelves. We even got brand new beds and pillows that they had to unwrap as we watched from the side. Our stateroom attendant (Glennard) was there to greet us and we exchanged information on our dining schedules and requested ice schedule every night. Since the ship was built in 2004 in Nagasaki, Japan, it was still in great shape and we constantly saw crew members repainting metal/wood, floors, and hulls during the entire cruise. The carpets were a little worn, but we saw no spots/discoloration anywhere. We took daily walks on the Promenade (Deck 7) deck that went around the entire ship from the bow to the aft.

The Vivaldi Dining Room staff was absolute fantastic. Our waiters Euncil and Fernando remembered our food and wine selections and made recommendations every night. The Diamond Princess Cruise Directors had an absolutely great Entertainment Director. The singers and dancers were top notch performers of a higher quality than what we had experienced on other cruises. We looked forward to the shows in the Diamond Princess Theater and we always got front-row seats.

Disembarkation in Bangkok, Thailand was a different ordeal. Since we were on a Princess post-cruise hotel/tour package, for some reason Princess was not as organized and had little or no information on the itinerary. From the moment we walked off the ship, there was some confusion as our group seemed to be made of 130 to 140 people, half spoke English, 25% were Italians and 25% Brazilians/Spanish all directed to 4 buses with no indication of which bus to board. After waiting 55 minutes, we were told we would leave late as our bus had to wait for one couple who woke up late and were still in their cabin. We ultimately left without them. That threw our schedule off and we missed part of the tradition Thai folklore show at our first stop.

After a long day hot, humid outdoor viewing of elephants and tropical plants in a sweltering sun, we had lunch and then started a 2.5 hour non-stop bus ride to the Shangri-La hotel in Bangkok. The hotel itself is a top-notch 5-star hotel on the river with its own boat dock. The Princess cruise passengers were directed to a ballroom for check-in where we were greeted by polite hotel staff offering water, a cool sweet ginger drink, and cool towels. It was all well organized as they gathered our passports to match up with welcome packages and hotel check-in documents.

After about 75% of our bus was dispatched to their rooms, a crowd of loud, pushy and downright rude Italians and Brazilians barged into the ballroom and immediately swamped the hotel staff and ruined the tranquil atmosphere that hotel staff was trying to methodically maintain. After 45 minutes into the melee, our tour guide returned to the ballroom, saw what was going on jumped into the fray as well and started yelling at the hotel staff to get our rooms assigned. We finally got our room which we found out was a smoking room which was unacceptable. Rather than go back to the ballroom, I went to the main lobby (I had noticed a number of Princess passengers returning to the ballroom complaining of wrong rooms, missing luggage, etc). The main lobby was a sea of tranquility compared to the ballroom. I was greeted by the Resident Manager Marlon Hirsh who listened to our plight and immediately directed staff to get us a non-smoking room, find our luggage, and within 5 minutes we were taken care of and we settled into our non-smoking room with a great view of the river/city. The staff and service personnel of the Shangri-la Hotel are to be commended for getting everyone, including the loud, pushy, and rude passengers, processed. (See separate TRIPADVISOR.COM on Shangri-La Hotel review).

The flight home went smoothly from the hotel to Bangkok Airport. We used United Airlines for the flight home with a connection in Narita (Tokyo), Japan. The (UA) airline attendants were very good but the food and entertainment program was a notch below Korean Airlines in terms of quality and selection.

It was a wonderful and memorable experience, but we’re glad to be home. Checked off several bucket-list sites to see and do.

Asia was our next destination after cruising/vacations to Europe/Mediterranean and Middle East. We chose Princess based on a successful Baltic cruise on the Crown Princess. We chose to use Princess Air, Princess Pre/Post Hotels/Tours/transfers except for and extra night on our own at the Beijing Marriott City Wall Hotel which we had to make on our own since Princess could not accommodate us with the extra pre-cruise hotel night. In retrospect, we’ll go back and do independent air/hotel/tours on our next cruise.

Pre-Cruise Travel: On the way to the airport from our home, the taxi driver (small women) could not get our luggage out of the trunk of her taxi. I twisted something in my right arm helping her which rendered my right arm somewhat useless as lifting anything caused discomfort for the next 25 days of the trip (What a way to start). Korean Air was an excellent airline with excellent food, service and comfort (US airlines can relearn from how Korean Air treats their passengers). Upon arrival in Beijing International Airport, we had made independent arrangements with the Beijing Marriott City Wall Hotel to send a driver to pick us up as Princess Cruises had told and written to us that our package would not include the airport-hotel pre-cruise transfer since we were arriving one day early. Not only were we greeted by a Marriott Hotel Meet/Greet limo driver in black suit, but we also saw our hand-written name on a piece of cardboard by a women in a sweater who turned out be the local travel agency Princess uses. We went with the Marriott Hotel limo driver and told the Princess rep we would not need their van (we told her what Princess had communicated with us and she apologized on behalf of Princess and left).

The Beijing Marriot Hotel (City Wall location) was a relatively new hotel with excellent service staff, great food/buffet and large clean rooms. I was surprised the rooms were even larger than Marriott hotels in the US with a great view of the city (separate review on TRIPADVISOR.COM). We spent the first day on our own which in Beijing was very easy due to the location of the hotel and nice weather.

The Beijing Chinese tour agency that Princess contracts with was excellent. Their organization and guides were well versed in English, very efficient, always on-time and informative/entertaining throughout the 3-day Princess tours. Our primary tour guide (a college professor) had to leave us on the first day due to a family death, but his protégé stepped right in and took over. She was just as fluent in English and provided excellent commentaries mixed with some humor. The transfer to the ship went flawlessly and we were off the bus through customs/boarding in less than 10 minutes. Our luggage was waiting for us in the balcony cabin (Aloha 619).

ON THE DIAMOND PRINCESS: Our balcony cabin had upgraded LCD Television and everything was what we expected including the older-type shower vinyl curtain, vacuum flush toilets, refrigerator, hairdryer, safe, plenty of storage space/shelves. We even got brand new beds and pillows that they had to unwrap as we watched from the side. Our stateroom attendant (Glennard) was there to greet us and we exchanged information on our dining schedules and requested ice schedule every night. Since the ship was built in 2004 in Nagasaki, Japan, it was still in great shape and we constantly saw crew members repainting metal/wood, floors, and hulls during the entire cruise. The carpets were a little worn, but we saw no spots/discoloration anywhere. We took daily walks on the Promenade (Deck 7) deck that went around the entire ship from the bow to the aft.

The Vivaldi Dining Room staff was absolute fantastic. Our waiters Euncil and Fernando remembered our food and wine selections and made recommendations every night. The Diamond Princess Cruise Directors had an absolutely great Entertainment Director. The singers and dancers were top notch performers of a higher quality than what we had experienced on other cruises. We looked forward to the shows in the Diamond Princess Theater and we always got front-row seats.

Disembarkation in Bangkok, Thailand was a different ordeal. Since we were on a Princess post-cruise hotel/tour package, for some reason Princess was not as organized and had little or no information on the itinerary. From the moment we walked off the ship, there was some confusion as our group seemed to be made of 130 to 140 people, half spoke English, 25% were Italians and 25% Brazilians/Spanish all directed to 4 buses with no indication of which bus to board. After waiting 55 minutes, we were told we would leave late as our bus had to wait for one couple who woke up late and were still in their cabin. We ultimately left without them. That threw our schedule off and we missed part of the tradition Thai folklore show at our first stop.

After a long day hot, humid outdoor viewing of elephants and tropical plants in a sweltering sun, we had lunch and then started a 2.5 hour non-stop bus ride to the Shangri-La hotel in Bangkok. The hotel itself is a top-notch 5-star hotel on the river with its own boat dock. The Princess cruise passengers were directed to a ballroom for check-in where we were greeted by polite hotel staff offering water, a cool sweet ginger drink, and cool towels. It was all well organized as they gathered our passports to match up with welcome packages and hotel check-in documents.

After about 75% of our bus was dispatched to their rooms, a crowd of loud, pushy and downright rude Italians and Brazilians barged into the ballroom and immediately swamped the hotel staff and ruined the tranquil atmosphere that hotel staff was trying to methodically maintain. After 45 minutes into the melee, our tour guide returned to the ballroom, saw what was going on jumped into the fray as well and started yelling at the hotel staff to get our rooms assigned. We finally got our room which we found out was a smoking room which was unacceptable. Rather than go back to the ballroom, I went to the main lobby (I had noticed a number of Princess passengers returning to the ballroom complaining of wrong rooms, missing luggage, etc). The main lobby was a sea of tranquility compared to the ballroom. I was greeted by the Resident Manager Marlon Hirsh who listened to our plight and immediately directed staff to get us a non-smoking room, find our luggage, and within 5 minutes we were taken care of and we settled into our non-smoking room with a great view of the river/city. The staff and service personnel of the Shangri-la Hotel are to be commended for getting everyone, including the loud, pushy, and rude passengers, processed. (See separate TRIPADVISOR.COM on Shangri-La Hotel review).

The flight home went smoothly from the hotel to Bangkok Airport. We used United Airlines for the flight home with a connection in Narita (Tokyo), Japan. The (UA) airline attendants were very good but the food and entertainment program was a notch below Korean Airlines in terms of quality and selection.

It was a wonderful and memorable experience, but we’re glad to be home. Checked off several bucket-list sites to see and do.

WINE NOTE: Diamond Princess had excellent wines...we preferred Cabernet's but they have a package that your waiter can give you more details on or check with the crew members who are stationed in different parts of Deck 7 during the cruise who can give you more information and sign you up. We did not sign up but we tried 5 of the ship's selection during the cruise and also bought wines while we were on shore excursions and tried local varieties (except the snake/scorpion wine...which our port lecturer tried and said was sweet...we prefer drier wines).

Captain Dino Sagani Note: I replied to a couple of questions so I thought I'd post some notes on Captain Dino Sagani, currently in command of the Diamond Princess. He's been a captain on three other Diamond cruise ships. He was always walking around the ship and willing to answer questions. He announced at a gathering at Club Fusion he will be heading over next year (2013) to take over as Captain of the new Royal Princess AFTER it's inaugural cruise. Congratulations to Captain Dino Sagani!

Captain Dino Sagani Note: I replied to a couple of questions so I thought I'd post some notes on Captain Dino Sagani, currently in command of the Diamond Princess. He's been a captain on three other Diamond cruise ships. He was always walking around the ship and willing to answer questions. He announced at a gathering at Club Fusion he will be heading over next year (2013) to take over as Captain of the new Royal Princess AFTER it's inaugural cruise. Congratulations to Captain Dino Sagani!

I believe Captain Dino Sagani will be the Staff Captain on the Royal (2nd in Command)

We were on the recent Diamond sailing from Whittier to Beijing and found him to be a terrific Captain!!!

• 1 month later...

We are scheduled to take this same trip at the end of March. I am interested in any Princess shore excursions that you took. Do you recommend any? Were there any that you thought were not worth your time?

Thank you for your review! Hubby and I were also on the Diamond Princess and we did the 8 day pre-cruise tour package versus the three day Beijing that many selected. I DO remember the confusion in the conference/waiting area in order to get pax's passports and credit card numbers, etc.

Bangkok: I do remember some loud people and the shouting. It did seem rude. I was so exhausted, I wished I had enough sense to just walk up to the lady giving instructions and quietly tell her that most of us could not hear any of her instructions. She was a very soft spoken person which doesn't work well in a room with what seemed like about 70-100 people. In the end, because we did not hear the instructions, we were one of the last out to be "processed", but it all worked out for the best regardless.

And we also met the Hotel Manager and he was amazing and was remarkably able to keep his cool despite a the chaos. Kudos to him. And yes, the Shangri-La is a beautiful hotel and the staff very gracious. They deserve the highest rating with TripAdvisor.

:)

I believe Captain Dino Sagani will be the Staff Captain on the Royal (2nd in Command)

We were on the recent Diamond sailing from Whittier to Beijing and found him to be a terrific Captain!!!

I did not get to meet Captain Dino Sagani, but oh, did I enjoy his daily updates. I LOVED his Italian accent, but he came across as so personable. We have done 13 cruises now, and I think "I fell in love" :D with him (or his voice, anyways)...hehehehe. Really, he sounds like a very down-to-earth person. He said goodbye to all of us on his last day(forget at which point, Hong Kong?) and then the new captain took over. Captain Sagani was getting his big break and rest.

One tour that I thought was really good was the Pedicab tour in Nha Trang, Vietnam. It was more memorable than the pedicab tour through the Hutong in Beijing - having said that the Hutong tour (included if you are doing the landcruise) was good. Reason Nha Trang was good/different was due to the fact you have vehicles coming at you on both sides of the road, what is on the back of motor scooters and going round roundabouts that needed people at the entrances trying to limit other vehicles joining. I also had the extra "bonus" of my pedicab clipping a motorscooter and then my cyclist and the driver having a good argument.

All the tours we went on were well worth it.

When you are on board if you have ever wanted a hand made suit they have a tailor on board that will measure you and the suit/shirt/blouse/dress will be waiting for you after Hong Kong.

We are scheduled to take this same trip at the end of March. I am interested in any Princess shore excursions that you took. Do you recommend any? Were there any that you thought were not worth your time?

Princes Cruises' Beijing 3-day tour was the best of all. The tour agency and hotel (Marriott City Wall) in Beijing were very well organized, efficient with professional staffs.

Many of the other ports were hard to get around on your own because we docked at container ports versus a passenger terminal. Nagasaki and Singapore are two ports that were well organized, next to town, and you can get around with a little homework or guidance from the port lecturer who was on board the ship and gave great travel tips for each location.

One tour that I thought was really good was the Pedicab tour in Nha Trang, Vietnam. It was more memorable than the pedicab tour through the Hutong in Beijing - having said that the Hutong tour (included if you are doing the landcruise) was good. Reason Nha Trang was good/different was due to the fact you have vehicles coming at you on both sides of the road, what is on the back of motor scooters and going round roundabouts that needed people at the entrances trying to limit other vehicles joining. I also had the extra "bonus" of my pedicab clipping a motorscooter and then my cyclist and the driver having a good argument.

All the tours we went on were well worth it.

When you are on board if you have ever wanted a hand made suit they have a tailor on board that will measure you and the suit/shirt/blouse/dress will be waiting for you after Hong Kong.

The PRincess shore excursion in Nha Trang was sort of interesting visiting ancient temples, the riverboat ride (where the tour operator gave us straw hats (the kind the locals where)), visit local pottery making shop run by a rural family, but it was all outdoors and very hot. I think the pedicab ride would give you a real flavor of local life in town.

Nice review!

We were on diamond princess on our recent Alaska trip

Captain Dino Sagani is a nice n good captain.

We manage to reach our ports of call on schedule for our trip n he can be humorous in his broadcasts ;)

Still miss the ship 3 months from our cruise...

Archived