Barcelona thieves

kitty allen

In terms of locals, they are not targeted (duh).

The reason the locals are not targeted is because they don't make themselves targets. If tourists would do the same thing they also wouldn't be targeted.

I was in Barcelona last month and had no problems with pickpockets. However, I saw many people that were making themselves easy targets (carrying purses that weren't zipped, wallets in a back pocket, laying bags/purses/backpacks on a park bench beside them, laying cell phones and cameras on cafe tables, etc.)

We took the metro, walked on Las Ramblas and visited the magic fountain (with the crowds of people)...quite a few people on this board have suggested avoiding these due to pickpockets.

In the months leading up to our visit we read these boards and I agree with others - some people on this board make in sound like you're going to get robbed the minute you set foot in the city - and that simply isn't true.

I carried an SLR camera across my body and kept one hand on the camera. My husband carried the camera bag with my extra lens (also across his body) and would keep his hand over the bag. Any maps or guidebooks were kept in the camera bag. DH did keep a metro map in his pocket. We carried with us a small amount of cash and one credit card.

These are the same precautions we take in all our travels. If you're aware of your surroundings and don't let your guard down you'll be fine in Barcelona.

The pickpockets have devised some clever scams such as: someone has a squeeze bottle full of nasty goo which is fired in to the air as the pickpocket is just behind you and his aim is for this goo to land in your hair. The bottle is hidden in a bag, satchel etc. whilst he is being as outraged as the victim with the goo in their hair or wherever it has landed and is also blaming the seagulls, he is also being very solicitous by offering tissues etc. whilst you are naturally distressed and your guard is down your wallet or purse has probably already gone. It has happened to passengers from the Arcadia this year

A person just has to employ street smarts -- No need to be paranoid, just aware.

Ignore any strangers that attempt to get your unsolicited attention. This can often be done by simply avoiding any eye contact, and acting like one didn't hear the person(s) trying to get one's attention.

To some, it may seem rude to not respond to some random stranger on the street trying to get one's attention, but thieves are usually looking for the easiest marks. One can only be distracted if they allow themselves to be.

For a persistent stranger that is continuing on, A simple "Déjame en paz"/"Leave me alone" or "No me toques"/"Don't touch me" should suffice.

The chances that one will likely encounter such strangers increases if they look like a foreign tourist. A baseball cap is often a huge flashing beacon for example.

The chances of getting strong armed during the day is minimal. However, at night (especially in dense crowds) one ought to be more wary carousing the seedier parts of the city.

Just carry what one needs to go sight-see. A little cash, a photocopy of the passport, and the leave the wallet/purses and credit cards/valuables in the hotel/ship safe.

No worries.

• 2 weeks later...

Be wary of anyone trying to distract you, especially on and around the Ramblas. We were walking from our hotel to the Rambla in early evening, less than a block. Suddenly a guy shouts out something to the effect of "give me a high five" - he is standing with his arm in the air right behind my husband. My husband told him to back off, and then the guy sticks a foot behind my husband's feet, trying to trip him as we walked away. DH managed to stay on his feet and pushed the guy away from him, the guy says "oh it is only a joke.." to which I will not print what DH shouted back.. the guy took off, and a few steps later we reach the Rambla where 5 police officers are standing in a circle facing each other, just talking. Great. DH wrenched his back from this altercation. So, despite our efforts to be careful you can still be a target. It happens in a matter of seconds. Frankly I got rather exhausted from having to constantly be on guard, hold my purse closely and look all around before taking photos. This was just Oct 27 and still quite crowded. We like Barcelona, but any future trips we plan will be to other areas of the city.

Archived