Behind the Fun tour

Kforoz

Hi all. We have a group of 10 going on the Imagination in December for my niece's high school graduation. Has anyone done the Behind the Fun tour on this ship? The grandparents would love it but Grandpa has had some back surgery and, though mobile, does have some chronic pain and less stamina than he used to. Are there a lot of stairs? How long is the tour? I wold hate to have him looking forward to it then be unable to complete the tour.

Thanks for your help!

Karla

Hi all. We have a group of 10 going on the Imagination in December for my niece's high school graduation. Has anyone done the Behind the Fun tour on this ship? The grandparents would love it but Grandpa has had some back surgery and, though mobile, does have some chronic pain and less stamina than he used to. Are there a lot of stairs? How long is the tour? I wold hate to have him looking forward to it then be unable to complete the tour.

Thanks for your help!

Karla

We found the tour to have a lot of stairs.

You take the same route as the crew members, so no elevators.

I'm not sure that I would recommend it to someone with chronic pain.

The tour also lasts about 3.5 hours, so that is another factor.

If you do choose to go, remember a few things..

Only 16 people per tour, so book quickly.

Only close toed shoes.

Must be over 8 years old.

We loved the tour and will be doing it again soon on the Breeze in December.

Good luck.

My husband and I did it 2 weeks ago on the Victory, we loved it. There is a lot of walking and some stairs. We toured the galley, laundry, cold storage areas, show areas, crew areas, engine control room, the bridge.. It was great! I think it was $55 per person on our ship and lasted about 3 1/2 hours. You will be on your feet the entire time except for 10-15 minutes when we were in the crew area and sat for cookies and a beverage. Cameras and cell phones are not allowed, even if they are turned off. They will be collected and returned at the end of the tour. That evening a 8 X 10 photo from the bridge with the captain was delivered to our room, along with a plate of chocolate tuxedo covered strawberries from the chef! Lots of times for questions. We really enjoyed it. Oh, and you can not pre book it like we did the Chef's Table. It has to be booked after you board and there is a limit to how many can do the tour, there were 16 on ours that day, and only offered once for the week.

DW and I did it on the Conquest last year. It was fun and informative, but exhausting!

There were a lot of stairs, and fast paced the whole 3.5 hours. :eek:

It might not be a good idea for someone with a lack of stamina and chronic back pain.

Happy Sailing!

We did this on the Miracle last year, well worth the money and very interesting. I wouldn't advise it for your Grandpa, lots of stairs and standing around while various department heads explain their role on the ship.

Make sure you board early and go straight to the excursion desk to book it, it does fill up fast. No phones or cameras are allowed, either leave them in your cabin or they will be taken from you and returned at the end.

When I did the tour, I found it to be quite interesting! There were two groups of 15 allowed to do it. If I recall, it was on the last sea day of the cruise.

Was it worth the time and price? To me, yes! Will I ever do it again? Probably not.;)

My wife and I did the tour on the Imagination, we both enjoyed it a lot. You do need to be in reasonably good shape as it involves a lot of walking and stair climbing. They give you some souvenirs to take with you, we got hats and lanyards. They also take your picture on the bridge with the Captain and send you chocolate covered strawberries.

The areas we visited:

Main galley

Laundry room

Engine control room (the actual engine room is too hot/dangerous for guests)

Recycling and waste disposal room

Food/beverage/booze storage areas

Crew training area

Crew mess hall

Looked in a crew cabin

The bridge

Foc'sle (the bow)

The crew bar

Backstage area (main theater)

We did it on Fascination (Imagination sister) really enjoyed the tour and was worth the $55 for the roughly 2 1/2hr tour we had a 4 day sailing and it was on the last day of the cruise which was a sea day. the larger ships will have longer tours and cost mor for the tour thatn the smaller ships like Imagination, fascination, etc... As far as stairs yes there was a good bit of stairs very steep at times. something to think about though. Definately go to the excursion desk as soon as you board to inquire and while there ask about their thoughts on how extreme it can be.

Can it be booked in advance? How can I book it? I looked online but couldn't find it.

You can't book it ahead of time. When you embark, go right away to the Shore Excursions desk and ask to book the tour. They only take 16 people per group (or sometimes they'll do 2 groups of 16), so they sell out fast. It's usually on the last sea day.

Archived