How do you do one ways cheaply?

cruisingrightalong

How do you do one ways cheaply or reasonable.

Example: cruising in Hawaii and coming back home

Knoxville to Honolulu and then later

San Diego (or Vancouver) to Knoxville.....

Prices are unreasonable and realize 2 round trips tickets and throwing one away doesn't work.

Lou

Many travel websites let you price "Open Jaw" or multi-city tickets, certainly most airline sites let you do that. If those words don't show see if there is an advanced search..sometimes it's under there. You should be able to price Knoxville to Honolulu then San Diego to Knoxville. We recently got tickets from LAX to Auckland, then Christchurch back to LAX. They aren't classified as one way but are combined.

Ciana:)

Most of the new, "low-fare" carriers sell one-way tickets at very reasonable prices and the mainline carriers are beginning to respond to this competition. Of course, these "low-fare" carriers don't fly between every city that you may be interested in. More importantly, perhaps, is that they are not even listed with some of the popularly used airfare search websites and thus you may be unaware that they even exist, thus one needs to go their website(s) directly. But, one thing that you can do is check to see if service exists to a "nearby" airport. Southwest Airlines is a good example. Depending on the date of travel you could purchase a one-way ticket from San Diego (SAN) to Nashville (BNA) for only $109.

AirTran serves LAX and prices all their flights as one way. Very good service and pricing. They also allow 2 checked bags, each weighing up to 70 lbs. Not 50 lbs like most airlines.

Airlines WILL NOT sell your planned trip as an open-jaw. An open jaw is defined by the airlines as a A-B, C-A flight (or variations thereof) where the B-C segment MUST be shorter than both of the A-B, and C-A segments. Your planned trip, TYS (Knoxville)-HNL is 4500 miles, HNL-YVR (Vancouver) is 2705 miles, and YVR-TYS is 2173 miles. This means your open segment (HNL-YVR) which you do not fly, is smaller than your opening segment, which means this is NOT an open jaw and cannot be sold as such. The prices you are looking at appear to be two one-way tickets sold by the airlines.

As Parody has mentioned, you can look for airlines that sell one-way tickets as a matter of business, generally these tend to be Low-cost carriers eg Southwest or Jetblue. However, you may be able to find similar pricing with semi-majors such as ATA, which will not fly you return from Vancouver as they do not fly there, or Delta... and since you are buying one-way tickets, you do not need to return on the same airline as you left. Note also, that Air Canada now sells tickets for all of North America as one way tickets, with no penalty for not booking returns. Something to think about.

Enjoy your cruise

-bb123

Also try Cheaptickets and Priceline( the top is where they show you the Airlines and prices not where you have to bid)

We were able to purchase NY to London one way for 186. including all taxes on Virgin this way. One the Virgini site the same ticket was over 700 dollars

Hello-I have been watching the fares from LAX to Vacouver for 3 months. @$200.00-was told by both airlines(Air Cananda and Alaska Air) that their

1 early am direct flight was 75% booked and the price

would NOT go down. Finally booked last wk at $200 pp. Yesterday cked Air Canada, same flight now $107 They were nice enough to refund me my first

tcks-bought new ones on line-saved @$140.00. $107 is a good price so anyone sailing out of Vancouver on a Sept 05 repo-go for it.

Airlines WILL NOT sell your planned trip as an open-jaw. An open jaw is defined by the airlines as a A-B, C-A flight (or variations thereof) where the B-C segment MUST be shorter than both of the A-B, and C-A segments. Your planned trip, TYS (Knoxville)-HNL is 4500 miles, HNL-YVR (Vancouver) is 2705 miles, and YVR-TYS is 2173 miles. This means your open segment (HNL-YVR) which you do not fly, is smaller than your opening segment, which means this is NOT an open jaw and cannot be sold as such. The prices you are looking at appear to be two one-way tickets sold by the airlines.

As Parody has mentioned, you can look for airlines that sell one-way tickets as a matter of business, generally these tend to be Low-cost carriers eg Southwest or Jetblue. However, you may be able to find similar pricing with semi-majors such as ATA, which will not fly you return from Vancouver as they do not fly there, or Delta... and since you are buying one-way tickets, you do not need to return on the same airline as you left. Note also, that Air Canada now sells tickets for all of North America as one way tickets, with no penalty for not booking returns. Something to think about.

Enjoy your cruise

-bb123

Let's not confuse the people on this board. Technically, you are correct. HOWEVER, almost all airlines allow multi-city bookings, leaving from one airport, a land or cruise segment, and then a return from another airport. And you are NOT buying one way tickets, lumped together.

I booked the flights below, at the AA website, in March. Price was $629.40RT pp. PHX to AMS or even DFW to London is certainly more miles than Southhampton to NYC via the QE2. I just priced a one way ticket to London from Phoenix (same flight I am taking) and the least expensive price was $865.00. I certainly am NOT buying one way tickets for what I paid.

Your Itinerary

Carrier Flight

Number Departing Arriving Aircraft

Type

City Date & Time City Date & Time

AMERICAN AIRLINES

1528 PHX Phoenix 12/29/2005 08:56 AM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth 12/29/2005 12:17 PM M80

AMERICAN AIRLINES

78 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth 12/29/2005 07:00 PM LGW London 12/30/2005 09:55 AM 763

AMERICAN AIRLINES

OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS 6551 LGW London 12/30/2005 01:00 PM AMS Amsterdam 12/30/2005 03:10 PM 737

AMERICAN AIRLINES

OPERATED BY SWISS 6219 AMS Amsterdam 01/02/2006 07:25 AM ZRH Zurich 01/02/2006 08:50 AM 319

AMERICAN AIRLINES

OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS 6675 ZRH Zurich 01/02/2006 11:20 AM LGW London 01/02/2006 12:00 PM 737

AMERICAN AIRLINES

313 LGA New York 01/10/2006 09:00 AM ORD Chicago 01/10/2006 10:40 AM M80

AMERICAN AIRLINES

1531 ORD Chicago 01/10/2006 12:56 PM PHX Phoenix 01/10/2006 03:41 PM M80

Fair enough. I'm glad that you got your flights at the price you did. It looks like a fantastic price to go overseas! I was simply replying to the original poster whose question was "why are the flights that I am looking at so expensive". I gave him an answer that is the rule by the airlines...

Your flights, great price that they are, are not strict "open-jaw" (by definition). I'm glad to see more airlines opening up their pricing practices so that consumers aren't being robbed blind (or having to rely on charter airlines) taking long multi-stop itineraries.

Anyone else looking for flights similar to greatam's should take it under advisement then that this is truly possible - don't give up without looking; however airline pricing, as we have all learned, is hardly predictable.

As an example, were I to look up an identical itinerary to yours from my hometown (Ottawa, Canada), with nearly identical flights (excepting the overseas legs), the price comes out to $950 USD. Identical One-way from Ottawa to AMS is $500 USD; one-way from LGA to Ottawa is $300; one-way from AMS-LGW is $125. There you have it - this has been constructed pretty much from one-way fares - for a nearly identical itinerary.

Something else that could be taken from this for fellow Cruisecritics is the idea of trying nearby airports -- you never know when you might fish out a fare that matches exactly what you are trying to do at a price at which you are happy.

• 2 months later...

We're sailing from FLL to Barcelona April 30-May 14 and then traveling around Spain on our own, planning to return from Madrid to Phoenix at the end of May.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this for less than outrageous one-way fare??

At the worst, I guess we could take the cruise return, but not sure if it will work two weeks after embarkation (and we'd have to get back to Barcelona)....:confused:

Maybe we could find a freighter!!:rolleyes:

THANKS!

Another option from US to Europe is to fly to London and pick up a cheap flight over to Europe. You have to be careful of your luggage allowance on the small planes but if you're travelling light you might find it a good deal.

I'm flying Toronto to London Gatwick and then easyjet from London Gatwick to Barcelona and saved approx $300 rather than flying direct Toronto-Barcelona (even though the flight would stop in London anyway!)

Easyjet

Ryanair

flyebe.com

Frances

Archived