Suggestions for Day in Falmouth with family

blestmom3

We are a family of 7, 4 kids ages 6-11, two adults in their 40s and a fit grammy (early 70s.) =) We've never been to Jamaica, but we live in Florida. We'd like to spend a fun day in Jamaica (docking at Falmouth port) but really don't want to spend a whole lot of money. We'd really like to keep it to $60 pp for the day. Any suggestions? If this budget won't work, make your suggestions anyway. We want to know what our options are. The adults have all been on cruises before and mostly done excursions separately from the ship, but this is the first cruise for the kids. Thanks!

Anyone have suggestions for us? We don't have to stay in Falmouth... that's just where we're docking. Wondering what we should experience while in jamaica. Thanks!

We are trying Hilton Rose Hall when we are there in January. We were in Falmouth this June. The shopping area was nice and very controlled. I would not take my family outside that area.

The Hilton Rose Hall thing is a little more that what you were looking to spend. Maybe someone else will give you other ideas.

Blestmom I also would recommend the Hilton Rose Hall. $90 (adults) $70 (17and under). There are not many other good options, so I am going to bite the bullet and pay more than I usually do for this excursion. Our last visit to Falmouth was boring because we didn't book anything. The nice thing about the Rose Hall Hilton is that it is close to the Falmouth port.

How do you book the Hilton Rose Hall? Can you do it through the ship? We are sailing with the Allure over Thanksgiving.

Thank you!

Jamaicaforaday. With transportation adults are $90 and children 17 and under are $70. Starting in 2013 there will be a $4 increase for both adults and chiildren. Here is the link...

http://www.jamaicaforaday.com/Falmouth_Jamaica_Shore_Excu.html

It is also wise to pay the extra money and get transportation through JFAD because cab fares at the port are expensive.

We are a family of 7, 4 kids ages 6-11, two adults in their 40s and a fit grammy (early 70s.) =) We've never been to Jamaica, but we live in Florida. We'd like to spend a fun day in Jamaica (docking at Falmouth port) but really don't want to spend a whole lot of money. We'd really like to keep it to $60 pp for the day. Any suggestions? If this budget won't work, make your suggestions anyway. We want to know what our options are. The adults have all been on cruises before and mostly done excursions separately from the ship, but this is the first cruise for the kids. Thanks!

Can I suggest booking a private tour? Contact Ricardo Riley from Liberty Tours of Jamaica at libertytoursja@yahoo.com or Lindsay McFarlane at takecover2@msn.com.

I had Ricardo as my tour guide and went to the Bird Sanctuary in Wiltshire (near Montego Bay). I also did a tour of Montego Bay and went to Richmond Hill and the local Parish Church to name a few places. Their prices are reasonable, and they can work within your budget.

I hope this helps.

Blestmom I also would recommend the Hilton Rose Hall. $90 (adults) $70 (17and under). There are not many other good options, so I am going to bite the bullet and pay more than I usually do for this excursion. Our last visit to Falmouth was boring because we didn't book anything. The nice thing about the Rose Hall Hilton is that it is close to the Falmouth port.

Jamaicaforaday. With transportation adults are $90 and children 17 and under are $70. Starting in 2013 there will be a $4 increase for both adults and chiildren. Here is the link...

It is also wise to pay the extra money and get transportation through JFAD because cab fares at the port are expensive.

Thank you so much!!! This looks great!!!

I highly recommend Marva Shaw with http://www.knowjamaica.com. She is WONDERFUL - very professional, caring, friendly, and fun. We've taken 2 tours with her and are getting ready to see her during Thanksgiving break.

This cruise, we'll have 25 people booked with Marva. She will pick us up at the port, then take us to Ocho Rios for an excursion at Dunn's River Falls and White Water tubing. We also plan on eating lunch at a local Jamaican restaurant.

I've done this tour before and can tell you that it's a lot of fun and worth the money. Marva only offers private tours out of Falmouth, but it is soooooo worth it! (She charges $45 per person, children may be less, plus admission fees.) Booking privately you'll get one-on-one attention, plus have the flexibility to do what YOU want. You can go "cheap" if you visit less touristy attractions.

Please visit her website and consider Marva for your tour. As you will see, she gets wonderful reviews from everyone (I've never read a negative review), and is rated #1 on Trip Adviser. I also like that she is an independent tour operator - not a giant business. Booking with her will support a local Jamaican.

I would also like to recommend Patrice Bailey, Patmar Tours, patbailey52@yahoo.com. We have been lucky enough to tour with her the last 2 years. Absolutely adore her, she will work with you any place you would like to go and her prices are very reasonable. Contact her for your own personal tour. Great for families, small groups.

I would also like to recommend Patrice Bailey, Patmar Tours, patbailey52@yahoo.com. We have been lucky enough to tour with her the last 2 years. Absolutely adore her, she will work with you any place you would like to go and her prices are very reasonable. Contact her for your own personal tour. Great for families, small groups.

Travelkat:I decided to reserve a private tour with Patrice after reading your post. We made all of the arrangements last night for next week.... looking forward to it. Thanks for letting me know about her. I'll post an update when we return. Thanks!

How close is it? We are nervous about venturing far on a non-ship excursion...heard traffic/transportation is unreliable.

just please don't go outside the gates on your own with kids. I was just there in early October, my mom (65) and I (48) went out the gates to "check things out" well we turned around in about 5 minutes and went back thru the gates!

How close is it? We are nervous about venturing far on a non-ship excursion...heard traffic/transportation is unreliable.

If you are not going to do a ship based excersion, I would seriously suggest organising a private tour well in advance. Do your research, and make sure that the tour guide is registered with the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB). If push comes to shove, ask the tour guide to provide you with proof that they are registered, including a photo of them next to their car showing their License Plate. If their license plate is not red, then they are not authorised. Also, go with recommendations. Whether it be based on my recommendations or someone elses. The chances are that if a few people have been with a private tour guide, then they are reliable. Can you believe everything you read on the internet? Of course not, but you will need to make the right judgement call.

It costs a Private Hire Tour Guide about $2k to get registered to take tourists, so the official guides are not going to risk their license by being unreliable. To some people, $2k isn't a lot in the big scheme of things. But for a Jamaican, for them to spend $2k could be matter of putting food on the table.

Like someone has already said, don't walk out of the gate at Falmouth, as you would be asking for trouble.

The most it would take is about 20 minutes which is a lot better than the hour ride to Ocho Rios. If you go with JFAD they pick you up inside the gate and you arrange what time they pick up for the way back from the Hilton.

Archived