Any tips for using Rogers cell phone on Caribbean cruse?

lawk

Some ports will show as 'US' on an American carrier (San Juan, St. Thomas) so it may be that you get Rogers' American pricing there, but that's still ridiculously expensive. If you're going to be using your cell phone frequently on the cruise, you might look into getting an American SIM card with prepaid minutes. That's what we'll be doing for our next trip to the US, but only to use in the US and American ports.

(We're Telus, but the overcharging for roaming is all Canadian carriers)

There doesn't seem to be, which is why my husband bought a Wind cell phone. For $5 a month, he can get unlimited incoming texts and $0.10 outgoing, and $0.20 a minute calling.

My Rogers phone is way more to use. They do have international packages but they are quite expensive- $0.50 per outgoing text and calls aren't cheap either.

There doesn't seem to be, which is why my husband bought a Wind cell phone. For $5 a month, he can get unlimited incoming texts and $0.10 outgoing, and $0.20 a minute calling.

Unless I'm mistaken, Wind is Canada only. Great for urban areas in Canada, but not useful on a Caribbean cruise.

Unless I'm mistaken, Wind is Canada only. Great for urban areas in Canada, but not useful on a Caribbean cruise.

You are mistaken. My husband has used his in France and all over the USA. Wind has great packages for travellers. That's the reason he bought a Wind phone instead of going with Rogers or one of the other big carriers. The package I described in my last post was for use in the US. His European package was an $8 fee to buy $0.40/min calling time and $0.20 outgoing texts/free incoming. Seems very reasonable to me. And of course you cancel the package when you don't need it.

throw ALL of your ideas about international calling out the window when onboard a cruise ship. They have a captive audience and one way out.

US Based cell phones pay $2.49 per minute not matter what plan you have. None of those prepaid phones will work on the ship.

I do not know what Canada based users pay.

Archived