Beware of "Guaranteed" categories

waytogofromhere

My friends and I each booked an Inside Guarantee on our first cruise ever.

When our cabin was assigned we were on the 11th deck, larger inside cabin.

1 week before our cruise the cruise line (RCCL) called us and asked if we would like to give up our two inside cabins for a Royal Family Suite....Two bedrooms with twin beds that convert to queen-size beds, two bathrooms (one with shower, one with bathtub), living area with double sofa bed and Pullman bed, and a private balcony. (532 sq. ft., balcony 53 sq. ft.). And it was on the back of the ship!!! We had to go to deck 8 though.

Well I must say that was one incredible upgrade. We were in a room that would have cost in excess of $16000 (8000 per couple), and we paid a measly $1400 per couple.

Unfortunately I have never hit the Jackpot again (17 cruises later) and have been assigned some less than favourable locations, so we always book the cabin of choice. Unfortunately it is not a suite but always a balcony cabin.

I had booked a New Year's cruise on the Sun in October. I usually book a balcony room, but I was trying to save money and booked a category "IB". I was told by the NCL representative that this was an inside cabin on the 8 or 9 deck guaranteed. He also said that I may get a better cabin but I was guaranteed to be on deck 8 or 9. This was very important to me because my husband was not happy about not getting a balcony and I did not want to end up on a low deck. Well, I go on MyNCL and find out that they have assigned me a cabin on the 4th deck which they consider to be a "better" cabin since it has a port hole. This is total BS...the cabin I paid for was supposed to be 172 sq ft, their "better" cabin is 144 sq ft. - way down on the 4th deck. I told them that I do not want this "better" cabin but they said there was nothing they could do because they feel that they upgraded me. TOTAL GARBAGE!!! Now I will probably just bite the bullet and upgrade to a balcony. They may be getting more money from me now but this will be the last time I sail on NCL.

The bad news is, an IB cabin is not a guarantee. If you booked and paid for an IB, NCL would not move you. Sounds like you actually booked an inside guarantee. That being the case they can move you anywhere as long as it's at least an inside and since that's the cheapest cabin available, you can be put anywhere on the ship and be upgraded. Lesson learned? You should not be mad at NCL. I'm guessing if you look at your booking info it says inside guarantee? I doubt that it says IB???

The bad news is, an IB cabin is not a guarantee. If you booked and paid for an IB, NCL would not move you. Sounds like you actually booked an inside guarantee. That being the case they can move you anywhere as long as it's at least an inside and since that's the cheapest cabin available, you can be put anywhere on the ship and be upgraded. Lesson learned? You should not be mad at NCL. I'm guessing if you look at your booking info it says inside guarantee? I doubt that it says IB???

Well, you would be wrong. For the last CTN I booked a IA/GTY directly from NCL and that is exactly what my invoice says. We were actually assigned an OV with large picture window. Once a category is sold out they still book it as GTY except for suites.

Well, you would be wrong. For the last CTN I booked a IA/GTY directly from NCL and that is exactly what my invoice says. We were actually assigned an OV with large picture window. Once a category is sold out they still book it as GTY except for suites.

I'll try again. They will not be booked in an IB, they will be booked in a GTY. So, they will not be put in an IC/ID etc but in an IB or above. Again, if you want a certain type of room, you must book it! Perhaps an NCL rep told them they would be guaranteed a certain room even if they booked GTY, but if they did it may be recorded and they could get if straightened out? If, as others have said, they follow a script, it would be hard to mislead someone.

i have been on multiple cruises. the first one i went on (Original Pacific Princess) i was told that a guarentee ensured you a place on the ship...period, but you could get awesome deals. that was 24 years ago. i booked a guarantee, prepared to spend my time in the bilge. :( i am happy to say, we were upgraded 8 categories to a ocean view with a huge window :). except in a couple of cruises, i had always booked guarentees. you can guarentee at any level, to ensure you won't be downgraded past a certain point. with NCL, we have always been upgraded to the top of that category, but never out of that category. i have been in suites to insides, but never pay the full price for that category. the last couple cruises, i got guarentee prices, but got to choose my cabin ??? the long and short of it, appears its not NCL's fault, but either a agent who doesn't know the "rules" or the OP failed to read the print.... unfortunately, their are new agents or agents who don't know all the lines and policies. once i had an agent who insisted i had to book a dining time with NCL, changed my cabin, because he thought it was better etc.

I feel sorry for the OP and am so glad that my first cruise (and all others) were through a TA. GTY was thoroughly explained to me. My first TA sent me descriptions of all the possible room types I could wind up with if I booked a GTY - both the good and the bad. I didn't like the "bad" possiblities so booked a specific cabin. I have only booked a guarantee one time and that was on our New Years cruise. It was the only option available and I got exactly what the guarantee was for. Whew.

I had booked a New Year's cruise on the Sun in October. I usually book a balcony room, but I was trying to save money and booked a category "IB". I was told by the NCL representative that this was an inside cabin on the 8 or 9 deck guaranteed. He also said that I may get a better cabin but I was guaranteed to be on deck 8 or 9. This was very important to me because my husband was not happy about not getting a balcony and I did not want to end up on a low deck. Well, I go on MyNCL and find out that they have assigned me a cabin on the 4th deck which they consider to be a "better" cabin since it has a port hole. This is total BS...the cabin I paid for was supposed to be 172 sq ft, their "better" cabin is 144 sq ft. - way down on the 4th deck. I told them that I do not want this "better" cabin but they said there was nothing they could do because they feel that they upgraded me. TOTAL GARBAGE!!! Now I will probably just bite the bullet and upgrade to a balcony. They may be getting more money from me now but this will be the last time I sail on NCL.

I don't understand why you're quitting NCL when ALL cruise lines work their guarantees the same way. You are not guaranteed a certain deck but are guaranteed that category of cabin or better, based on their method of categorizing. On any cruise line a porthole window cabin is a higher category of cabin than an inside, regardless of deck or size.

I guess I don't understand what the OP expected. From the cruise line's point of view, GTY allows them to oversell certain ship categories to allow them to sell out the ship. It's like an airline that oversells seats - expect in this case, the seats are actually guaranteed (unlike the airlines).

I've only cruised once, and never done GTY, but thought it was easy to figure out what GTY was for.

Only used GTY one time before and didn't have any problems. Normally, I like to do everything in advance to include cabin selection but I'm using Balcony GTY on my Jan cruise because I saved $320 per person with a TA. I see that it is now sold out in that category so I guess I should be getting cabin assignment soon, hopefully along with the e-docs.

Threads that start with BEWARE:eek: always amuse me. I think the real lesson here is BE AWARE!:D

Yeah, but what if your thread is about the Ides of March? Should you Be Aware of them?

What about ghosts? goblins? other things which go bump in the night?

I'd just as soon NOT be aware of the latter. :D

Stephen

Archived