Review of NCL Star Oct14-21 Bermuda

luv2cruise53

So after I finished strolling around the full wrap around Promenade.( Wrap around entire ship promenades ar becoming a thing of the past on the new mega builds, simply because the first half or 2/3rds is enough space for life boats or as the new Breakaway.... dining spots that they can stick cabins in that precious promenade space.) The only thing with the Star's promenades is that the very front promenade area maybe 100 feet is closed off for forward viewing....so it is like a white steel tunnel for a few secs....

So back down to 5502, turn right...got it this time....thru the full pizza box maze....do these same cabins live in eternal hope? Once bitten twice shy is my motto.

On the topic of pizza.

The one disappointing thing I find about NCL is they do not have a small pizzeria on board. Sure you can go to buffet and get half way decent slice but only till 9:00 then its room service pizza.

Anyways...into my room and turn on Bridge Channel. We are in Bermuda. Docked it appears....and the temp is 79 degrees and it is dark.

Change into white long pants,... white long sleeve rolled up and a silver-white tie hung loosely...and off white dock shoes. Me be ready in advance...thats the first thing I pack.....No pics cause nobody to shoot me....but on land I would easily get shot with this outfit:D...LOL

So down to the atrium to see who is sporting white and there are quite a few if not most. If any passengers forgot that all important white the ships store was doing a brisk business of selling White Hot T shirts at 20 bucks a pop. Lesson...do not forget your whites....however the T shirt does make a nice souvenier that you will never ever wear anywhere on land lest you get shot.LOL again:D

Next up...The White Hot Party or night of the winged angel parade

Kev:cool:

Edited by luv2cruise53

So an NCL White Hot Party is generally to get hot and sweaty and dance and have a ball. Every ship is different but most follow the same menu....Crew wears angels wings or really over the top white outfits. Music is always by a DJ and always very danceable. The first hour...kids are allowed with their families, usually 9:30 ish to 11:00 ish...After that it is strictly adults only. the decor is white over the top,....with streamers and baloons and feathers and white on white on white. The Crew will really get people pumping with dance music and teaching great line dances....people will, do and generally get drunk, so that white becomes pink when the fruity drinks spill.

That is a White hot Part in a nutshell.

Here is where it gets iffy. Many big ships when in the Caribbean or Bermuda or a warm port will hold the party out on the pool deck or with EPIC in Spice H2o...or in some cases in Galaxy of Stars or Spinnaker in a top deck with walls of windows. The Star had only the Spinnaker Lounge.....below decks and not atmospheric. Some Ships like the Star have removed their top lounges for new cabins and built venues like this Stars Spinnaker Lounge.

I do not like it. If you cannot have it outdoors(and they can't, the slided pool deck is simply not conducive to a White Hot Party) or in a top lounge, then you are relegated to this Star's Spinnaker.

The menu may be the same but the food is not as good.

Still it is a great party and here are some pics NCL White Hot Parties as well as the Star's.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHIYMQxllml7JTmokWkBRJ3NkXIxwgwZsF67JUNocTOMhUiEqMimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDYYuUwA-NdUN9ORZjYK0f88ueB0Uv5YRfEQrOAGt2BFVBindpBNr9apPk

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrRV5Ym9kg5TcjmXxs_UY8LXpNP-mXlQ6T73q-HNZJKS-WskcDnzcy87jCimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbPnp_p5foTZa4MktbPh9fQlyhSVIwJIxGWw9VbbJZ95ayEp0n

This is why a pool deck is better.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXMDjqpvadSPCmHsLD1bMTwRoAJWQ-h9c2cR2mT_h2oFFKlbzKog

But indoors can be great as well images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOD1P6B4DtczAjhREjejjM99QuwqxMPDCF6L0Ni_h-ogZohP9O

If the party is outdoors it generally moves indoors after midnight so you will always get an indoor anyways.

Next up:

More White Hot Party Pics

Kev

Edited by luv2cruise53

More White Hot Party Pics

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl6aQjhANXzvObmwNN6n7v2lm93q0xj73rGfu61Tct_Vy0pooPIQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-Q8joz2OvOrVqnWFbVADRMuyjEotGWvgp2DYjYOBcR4TjjlGQoA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBqM3gx3A-ub5KQD-ckXsAJVM9EsGFvmlpQGjWgJKjJQdRmUz8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaQgibXUpWfl9a7dJwAntcFkV1srN7GRD932pkYp5G3b2TUUrq-w

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxoIhsfzLiOV_w-XL7voVdP3zl9hKJnfCU2vTgx0ZcOVMeWZDh5Q

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuyWgI6YhG2p1wqGjJ5lI6LW8XDPGg2ygjshoc6yGuCDnNYLdL

So a couple of hours of an always enjoyable White Hot and it is time to move on to different pastures, cause...quite simply the Spinnaker is too claustrophobic for me....Rows of chairs, and smallish dance flooor and not a real bar area for scmoozing, but OK at the back of Spinnaker. like I said....It is great for first timers but if you are an Old White Hot Man like me...you yearn....you yearn for the past. Anyway's I decide it is time to head on shore and try the Hammerheads bar in the Snorkel park. I was partying with half a dozen or more 30 somethings and we all thought this was agreat idea. So off we go..onshore and more

Next Up:

Hammered Heads

Kev

Lesson...do not forget your whites....however the T shirt does make a nice souvenier that you will never ever wear anywhere on land lest you get shot.LOL again:D

Very true. I have a vintage one from the old Majesty era when the t-shirts were only $15. I have not worn it any other time except on an NCL ship. :eek:

Wait a minute. Kev - Is this former NCL Cruise Director John Ibraham? (spelling)

I believe so, ...Like I said I took pics from a variety of White Hot Parties....Cause the Star pics I had were bleaaahhhh and I knew people wanted to know about White Hot's etc...

I guess its hard to forget a face like that ha?:eek:

Kev:D

What did you think of the Star's White Hot compared to others?

Edited by luv2cruise53

I believe so, ...Like I said I took pics from a variety of White Hot Parties....Cause the Star pics I had were bleaaahhhh and I knew people wanted to know about White Hot's etc...

I guess its hard to forget a face like that ha?:eek:

Kev:D

What did you think of the Star's White Hot compared to others?

LOL - He was quite the character! I heard he is now with RCC. I did not go the White Hot Party on the Star. I have been to a few and I agree with you that the outside experience is outstanding. I enjoyed the Bermuda Triangle Party this time around on the Star as it was poolside. Although I liked the new Spinnaker well enough, it gets crowded fast. It was very crowded for the Captain's Party, Lattitudes Party and the Wine and Cheese Party. I decided it would be way too crowded to get the full effect of the White Hot Party. I did want to stop in to see if they played Party Rock Antheim, as I am a huge fan. Although I cannot shuffle. :(

LOL - He was quite the character! I heard he is now with RCC. I did not go the White Hot Party on the Star. I have been to a few and I agree with you that the outside experience is outstanding. I enjoyed the Bermuda Triangle Party this time around on the Star as it was poolside. Although I liked the new Spinnaker well enough, it gets crowded fast. It was very crowded for the Captain's Party, Lattitudes Party and the Wine and Cheese Party. I decided it would be way too crowded to get the full effect of the White Hot Party. I did want to stop in to see if they played Party Rock Antheim, as I am a huge fan. Although I cannot shuffle. :(

Yes indeed Party Rock Anthem was a highlight as well as Time(of my life) and Taio Cruz Higher were the best but Usher DJ got us falling in love again was my favorite. And Pit Bull and Chris Brown...That DJ Girl knows how to spin em....which made up for the venue. It's nice enough, don't get me wrong, just not set up for this kind of event. I agree Latitudes was crowded, but remeber Kev snagged prime real estate LOL

Edited by luv2cruise53

I agree Latitudes was crowded, but remeber Kev snagged prime real estate LOL

I was lucky enough to "snag prime real estate" at the Wine & Cheese Party and boy did it pay off. Lots of wine..... :D I will have to remember the prime real estate factor for the next cruise. Unfortunately, I am not sure when that will be at this moment. :(

Ok Kev, as directed by you, I came here last night to start reading your Beautiful Star review. At this point, I'm not too sure I like you...I was up until 4 am last night (well this morning) :eek: because I can't pull myself away. I have sat for hours holding my urine (which I don't do well to begin with-no worries, some near misses, but no accidents) because I wanted to see what happened next. I missed dinner tonight because, well I forgot about it because I was so in to this story...so now I'm munching on pretzels instead. My husband thinks I have "issues" because I keep busting out laughing for no apparent reason. My contacts are now glued to my eyes from the dryness. I keep feeling like I need some type of fruity banana dirty something or other in my hand and I have to work again tomorrow for the 50,000th day in a row. My stomach hurts from laughing so hard (or is that because I forgot to eat? I think it's a toss-up between the two). I have tons of comments and questions from different things but didn't take the time to hit the "you're only allowed to reply to 3 quotes per post" button, so I guess I'm now forced to reread the entire story once you are done and try to recall what all I wanted to comment on and ask questions on. :p

Whew...I hope you get this story done with before I leave on my cruise on the Beautiful Norwegian Star in 8 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes, and 36 seconds...but who's counting. :D

**edit** btw, it's now 3am...once again, I'm still awake. whew

Edited by mitsugirly

Ok Kev, as directed by you, I came here last night to start reading your Beautiful Star review. At this point, I'm not too sure I like you...I was up until 4 am last night (well this morning) :eek: because I can't pull myself away. I have sat for hours holding my urine (which I don't do well to begin with-no worries, some near misses, but no accidents) because I wanted to see what happened next. I missed dinner tonight because, well I forgot about it because I was so in to this story...so now I'm munching on pretzels instead. My husband thinks I have "issues" because I keep busting out laughing for no apparent reason. My contacts are now glued to my eyes from the dryness. I keep feeling like I need some type of fruity banana dirty something or other in my hand and I have to work again tomorrow for the 50,000th day in a row. My stomach hurts from laughing so hard (or is that because I forgot to eat? I think it's a toss-up between the two). I have tons of comments and questions from different things but didn't take the time to hit the "you're only allowed to reply to 3 quotes per post" button, so I guess I'm now forced to reread the entire story once you are done and try to recall what all I wanted to comment on and ask questions on. :p

Whew...I hope you get this story done with before I leave on my cruise on the Beautiful Norwegian Star in 8 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes, and 36 seconds...but who's counting. :D

**edit** btw, it's now 3am...once again, I'm still awake. whew

Thank's Mitsu...I knew you would love it....As you know I am a grad student with 2 masters so papers and stuff are coming out the ying yang but rest assured this week we will finish this review. We only have 3 days left but you will be ready for next week.

Ask anything anytime....I'm here to make you laugh and give my advice.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs70fiZqsJC6wkjXhX40_WmWw74voj6gFZtdYGeQoJ5o8LWfV8

So off the 1/2 dozen or so of us whitely dressed adventurers go to continue our great evening. Down the plank and thru the hut and up the street (5 mins total to the entrance of Snorkel Park). It kinda looks like a cave entrance but is actually an old fort opening. Immediately and without delay you are required to pay a requisite 10 dollars cover. (Five in the day) This entire area is owned by one company and contains the beach and the Hammerheads food and drink venue. In the day there is snorkel equipment...hence....I love that word...hence the name Snorkel Park Beach. You traverse a grassy area and approach a 2 or 3 level structure resembling a large hut.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3prEMigNVtRtBvaXnp3mnF9GpA6Va-VxjIG2t4kInqtc09qkQ

Pics taken from Bermuda site as well as some of my own for Snorkel Park, tonite and tomorrow.

It is quite large inside and appears to be filled with a mixture of locals and tourists. The drinks are easy to come by as the bar is large and they have a ton of bartendes. The prices are not easy on the wallet however.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqV_Mgf-LaEKAxXw0j1RICcUWd4GjJENn1KsBzw48PpmX9_6A

The music is loud but the sound is very high tech and whoever or wherever this DJ may be they are spinning some very good very hip danceable tunes. I did not see a dedicated dance floor nor actually anybody dancing but it was conducive to place grooving...(standing in one place and swaying your hips as if you are the coolest dancer on the planet) There were many pro place dancers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-Wof5798PQdh_7M40HBDeWpQ5myPLCXqXCDm9tjoYD5QVGj8F

There were several banks of Flat screens and an entire wall of video.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxM2Gs7gvOhioeyPnFy_KJ8liznIW-7eDyGgvVpJYKnDZUYFllGw

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAR8izTKStIWXrIoBC5m882SBuYKC-KcO7Ym9hM6zJpuE7UywU

Locals love to have there pictures taken with the girls.

So after we all dropped a hundred bucks and had a 1/2 dozen or more shots and beers and we were truly hammered heads and it was going on 2:00 AM (no sign this place was slowing down) we decided to pub hop crawl back to The Beautiful Norwegian Star and call it a night.

Next Up:

Bermuda Day 3, Sailaway and The best night yet.

Kev

Found this thread way back on page 4. We can't have that..... Bump, bump it up...... :)

Thanks Camz...I am handing in a seminar paper tonite, then I will go as far as I can before I begin last 9 page paper tomorrow. I hope to be done, or done enough by Staurday....whewwwww

Edited by luv2cruise53

Ok Kevin, me thinks you will be tracked down on the breakaway by many of us and held hostage with mudslides until you cough up all the tourist tips that we've made no effort to write down. Having our own guide will be fun lol.

Thank's I think:D Mudslides would work....Anyways, I will re-post all the Bermuda stuff as we get closer to our Breakaway...you know like maps, and bus/ferry schedules/and things to do and all that stuff.

I am also thinking I will organize a scooter tour on day 1, for those who rent scooters and I will bring everybody to all the spots and then they casn be on their own. Most people fear not only the left handed driving but also of getting lost, and there really are only 3 main roads....and every road seems to lead everywher...LOL

Found this thread back on page 4 again. :eek: The saga must continue..... :D

Yes, Last paper handed in at 5:00 PM Today....Nothing left to do but finish this revoo...LOL:D

I think I will be sad when it is over but I was just thinking, I never reviewed my Spirit from Last March so maybe I will do that to entertain myself. that one was out of New Orleans so you can imagine what a debacle that will be,....LOL

Next Up Day 6

Blacks Bay...Sea Glass Beach

Return of the scooter

Lunch at the pizza joint in dockyard

Snorkel park Beach

The fort and the dolphins

relaxing on the waterfront