Question about checking ID when returning to the ship from ports

shelly11

I know that when you return to the ship from the ports someone checks your ID. (not the NCL staff but someone at the port itself) On the previous cruises I've been on we've all had passports and just shown them. This time my daughter's friend will have her state certified birth certificate and a driver's license. (she is 16 and this is a cruise that the birth certificate works on) When we board at the ports is her license enough or do we need to carry her birth certificate with us too?

Thanks for the help!

All I've ever used has been a driver's licence for port security ID. Picture ID is what I think they would be looking for. But that may depend on the port. They announce before leaving the ship what ID is required to return.

So far for us, it has always been announced "photo ID required"

The driver's license or other official photo ID is fine (along with the key card).

Often security at a port will check the ID to make sure that the right person is getting back on the ship and the key card brings up a photo on the screen when you get on board.

Not too long ago, there was a smuggling ring using cruise ships to get people into the US. They would swap a legal resident in port for an illegal. The LR would then fly back to the States while the illegal would use the documents on the ship to get in as immigration/customs is usually fairly lax. This loophole has all but been sealed by requiring photo ID when leaving and re-boarding the ship.

At St Thomas last week it was strict photo ID and cruise card and they had a big notice to say. I left my passport onboard and used my European drivers license fine.

Funny thing, there were two entry points back to the ship. The guy closer to the aft was insisting on photo ID, and a bit obnoxious about it. Guy near the forward entry never asked for anything other than the keycard and I went through it 2 times.

You should always carry it, I did for the first 2 times, then left it in the cabin for the 3rd. Worst case is someone you know boards with your keycard and brings your ID out, but people were in a tizzy. I should just have left that guy and walked forward to the other guy and come in again with my boarding card. Dude waved me in eventually though.

Is this just US ports? In europe I've only ever been asked for ship card.

When we boarded in Copenhagen we needed to show our passports to board the ship. This was after checking in with our passports. We had already put them away and had to dig them out.

Since it was our 1st European cruise we did make sure that we had them at all times when off of the ship.

I do think we were asked for our passports to reboard in Stockholm.

We knew that we needed to show them when when we got off in St. Petersburg.

The OP seems to be going to the Caribbean and we have only ever been asked to show photo ID (Drivers License) and ship card.

This is shown to port agents at entrances to ports when re-boarding.

The ship itself usually only requires the ship card.

I've been on 2 cruises to the Bahamas on the Sky. Both times we came back to the ship in Nassau someone from their port asked to see our passports before we could go to the pier. The ship only asked for our ship card.

You don't need to show a passport. You didn't even need a passport to take your Bahamas cruises on the Sky as long as you're US citizens. Any photo ID such as a drivers license suffices. They often say the word "passport" because it's easier to say than "passport, drivers license or other photo ID".

Archived