Disappointed by Valor

dwing18

Why would you go through a TA? What real benefits do you get from a TA? To each his own, use them if you want, but I never would.

Once again..travel agents/agencies/singles cruise agencies make a LOT of sense for single/solo travelers.

Most offer free roommate matching....which is a huge plus. Many singles don't have someone to cruise with, and don't wish to pay the 200% most cruiselines stick them with.

Even if they go "solo" in a cabin, they want to be with other single people...not stuck at table with families, kids, teens or with married couples

Then there are the perks....wine, cocktail parties...excursions booked together ....pre and post cruise parties and fun, friendships and (sometimes) even romance. Most of these companies do NOT push this as romance, but more to be with other singles and have company.

Many "friends" book together on these too...again to be with other singles. I have met married women whose husbands don't want to cruise who come on these.

Many many reasons ....Realistically with the divorce rate in this country, and the possibility of losing a spouse a LOT of the 2x2 people here on this board may one day use such a deal.

If you are NOT single, you obviously don't have any need for these cruises.

There are other "group" cruises too for "like minded" people....Gay, Music, Irish, Kosher, rock and roll, nudist, vegans, or whatever....travel agents/companies put these together. I was once on a cruise where half the ship was Donnie and Marie Osmond fans LOL>> they paid a lot more for the privilege but it did not bother us much. Any large group might be a problem for some

I was on this sailing as well - but not a part of the singles group. I have to say that DH and I were very impressed by the ship and the staff. The waitstaff in the MDR wasn't the best we've had as they always seemed rushed. Other than that, we have no complaints about the ship or staff.

If there were problems with the staff or with the singles group being singled out, why blame the specific ship and not Carnival? Often times some of the staff will end up on a different ship eventually anyway so choosing a different ship in the same fleet really doesn't fix anything. If that were the case, I could easily say that I am disappointed by Valor because they allowed such a large group of singles to be on board. That's just silly.

We did find the singles group to be a bit obnoxious at times but we ignored it the best we could and had a great time. Personally, if I were in a group that large, I would be expecting to have some sort of problems. There's no avoiding it.

It appears to me it was a lot of "mob" mentality..It only takes a few to spoil it for the whole group..This is another reason I refuse to travel at Holloween, it seems to bring out the crazies..Dennis

Once again..travel agents/agencies/singles cruise agencies make a LOT of sense for single/solo travelers.

Most offer free roommate matching....which is a huge plus. Many singles don't have someone to cruise with, and don't wish to pay the 200% most cruiselines stick them with.

Even if they go "solo" in a cabin, they want to be with other single people...not stuck at table with families, kids, teens or with married couples

Then there are the perks....wine, cocktail parties...excursions booked together ....pre and post cruise parties and fun, friendships and (sometimes) even romance. Most of these companies do NOT push this as romance, but more to be with other singles and have company.

Many "friends" book together on these too...again to be with other singles. I have met married women whose husbands don't want to cruise who come on these.

Many many reasons ....Realistically with the divorce rate in this country, and the possibility of losing a spouse a LOT of the 2x2 people here on this board may one day use such a deal.

If you are NOT single, you obviously don't have any need for these cruises.

There are other "group" cruises too for "like minded" people....Gay, Music, Irish, Kosher, rock and roll, nudist, vegans, or whatever....travel agents/companies put these together. I was once on a cruise where half the ship was Donnie and Marie Osmond fans LOL>> they paid a lot more for the privilege but it did not bother us much. Any large group might be a problem for some

Once again... You do not have to cruise with 600 singles. You can have you're singles web site, meet a few people and book a cruise together. IMO, a TA is not needed. If you chose to use a TA then good for you, but I don't see a TA doing anything a group leader could not do. Disagree if you want, this is just my opinion. BTW, I'm not really talking about group bookings or specialty cruises anyway, if a TA puts a cruise together and then you join in, that's a little different. What I'm talking about is you and a few friends get together and want to cruise, any 1 person could call and arrange that, no TA is needed.

Oh please...why don't you go over to the "cc group cruises" threads and remind them that the "leaders" are getting a "free cabin"???

For singles...a group works well...assures them that they are seated with other singles, have people to go to the shows with, go on excursions with.

The cruise in question had 600...and yeah lots of "free fares">> what is it to you?? That is a large company...they had "hosts" along who devoted much time and effort to hosting the events, introducing people, passing out wristbands, keeping crashers out, running events. The company is a travel agency..in business to make money. Have a problem with that/? Last I looked Carnival is not a charity...John Heald doesn't work for free, nor do the "hard working room stewards and waiters" that everyone here worries so much about LOL

The "free cabin" and commissions the travel agency gets also means they get perks...the group cruisers get wine, cocktail parties or other group amentities.

Really unless you are single, or been on these sorts of cruises, or know about them, why spread misinformation?? I promise I won't post about what games to bring for toddlers or how to plug in a c-pap machine cause I have NO idea...not my realm of experience. Fair enough?

Wow - why the hostility? Perhaps you are one of the "organizers" or the travel agent - don't know or care but I never said anything about commissions although I know that some people that group cruise can feel a bit ripped off when they realize that they are paying full fare for others to sail free. I never said don't use a travel agent - someone posted here complaining about the treatment the group got from the cruise security and I was commenting. I've never been on a large group cruise but I have been on a group cruise and been the organizer so while I'm far from being an expert, I know enough. We all have the right to comment and you don't have to agree, fair enough?

Wow - why the hostility? Perhaps you are one of the "organizers" or the travel agent - don't know or care but I never said anything about commissions although I know that some people that group cruise can feel a bit ripped off when they realize that they are paying full fare for others to sail free. I never said don't use a travel agent - someone posted here complaining about the treatment the group got from the cruise security and I was commenting. I've never been on a large group cruise but I have been on a group cruise and been the organizer so while I'm far from being an expert, I know enough. We all have the right to comment and you don't have to agree, fair enough?

Why the misinformation? I am NOT a travel agent...fyi, but yes I use one

first of all..you assume that singles would have enough friends to make a group, and be able to "decide" when/where to go...and get it together

usually a travel agency finds a good time/rate/ and a cruise with a good group deal/amenity points...they post the cruise hold space (using their money) and people book it. The travel agency may book solos...and/or friends who have a roommate to share with...but they also have a database /email list of cruisers and they do roomate matching - same sex, usually similar age and non smoking etc

so really no carnival pvp would do that

Groups booked thru the cruiseline tend to be already formed...like a church group, co-workers, sorority, class reunion, family reunion

Groups that are special interest charge more and bring on their own entertainment >> Polka cruise, Heavy Metal Cruise, Irish Music Cruise, Salsa cruise etc

but Singles cruises FYI are based more upon the fact that singles are looking to save money with free roommate matching, have a host to introduce them/troubleshoot, get group perks and be seated/meet other singles/solos to cruise with , have dinner with etc

Why so much hostility and bad misinformation from you may I ask?

I don't tell people how to book music cruises or cruises for vegans or whatever since I don't know anything about them and never went on those cruises. I do know about single's cruises

Oh...are you aware that Carnival and many other cruiselines used to offer free roommate matching?? Carnival would even put up to 4 in a cabin, same sex, smoking or non (yeah this was back in the days when they allowed more smoking LOL). Plus many cruiselines had solo cabins on the "old" style ships (especially those converted). Holland America still offers roommate matching on their around the world and some exotic cruises I think?

Are you aware that Carnival used to offer much more affordable solo rates? They have totally increased

I really have no idea why you are so against travel agents. The agency that did that 600 person cruise has a good reputation. Lots of people like the convenience, price and fun.

Perhaps Carnival could warn passengers of large groups. Generally such groups turn out to be a LOT of fun for both the groups and non-group people. Their cabin crawl was during the early seating for dinner, the singles eat at late seating. I went to MOST of the 10 rooms and you could not have seen a better, very well behaved group of adults! It was not out of control. All during the cruise, right from the beginning, security had a "macho" attitude and tried to show it had power. And I am sure they lied and exaggerated their case to their naive management which in turn now causes Carnival to use its own arbitrary "rules" as an excuse to get rid of ANY passenger with more than a few people in a cabin even if just visiting. If you want a totally quiet cruise experience, travel on Holland America. Carnival likely lost hundreds of customers and yes, perhaps a few whining passengers complained because they were not having the same fun this group was having. Jealous I suppose. I heard prejudice on the way over to the cruiseship, I told a couple there were going to be over 600 singles amd the husband says to his wife "I wish I knew that, I don't like that, we would not have booked had we known that. So they complain without even knowing these are mostly business professionals, but complain simply because these are SINGLE and in their mind likely "sinning". OMG they have no idea...these are not stupid, mindless passengers, but i am sure they assumed the singles were going to be trouble. I saw more problems with non singles and the attitude of the security ****s was unacceptable.

Over-reaction by Carnival....carnival, change your advertising, you are NO LONGER the Fun Ships.

That wasn't prejudice you heard. :rolleyes: Like the gentleman you encountered, I would have felt the same way about ANY group of 600 people traveling together. There is bound to be excessive noise and certainly will be large crowds impossible to push through to navigate the ship for those passengers who are not a part of these large groups. Even if the people participating in the cabin crawls that have been mentioned were not being overly loud, that many of them spilling out of one cabin would create quite a din and be disturbing to the other passengers.

It really sounds like some people in this group had a huge sense of entitlement and a lack of concern for the rest of the passengers.

Going on the Valor 4/13 so i clicked into the thread and all i can see is a bunch of nonsence. Cant you guys keep on topic?

That's the way things roll around here sometimes :)

We sailed the Valor in 2008, our first cruise. We loved it! Without reading all the previous posts, all you need to remember, is a cruise is what you make of it. Things will not be perfect, it's how you roll with it.

Honestly, people get peeved at the silliest things sometimes.

I just got of the Valor.

This was my fifth Carnival cruise.

While I will cruise with Carnival again I will avoid Valor.

I am going on the Valor on December 2, 2012 and I cannot wait. Just remember everyone is different what one likes or dislikes doesn't mean you will like or dislike the same ;)

Share12212

Carnival Liberty 6-12

Carnival Valor 12-12

Carnival Dream 6-13

I was just on the Valor 11/10 - 11/18 with a singles group of about 120 people. They all wore the beaded necklaces. They were alot of fun and we had no trouble with them. The man beating up his wife outside my cabin was another story....ugh. This is my second time on the ship and we had a great time. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

• 2 months later...
We were on the Valor 10-13-21 and loved it!!!

hey we were on it on the Oct 13th too!! and we had a blast!! loved the ship.. our dinning room staff was wicked wicked AWESOME.. Our Cabin stewart always remembered our names and kept our room clean.. We had a blast at all the ports.. enjoyed all the shows on the ship...

I would for sure book on the Valor again :D

Archived