Cell service in roatan

cruisinmeme

we will be in roatan on thanksgiving day and wanted to call home. Looking at the Verizon map it looks like there is little or no service in the area. Maybe I have my head in the sand, but don't they have cell service everywhere?

Anyone that has Verizon and been there lately have any input.

we will be in roatan on thanksgiving day and wanted to call home. Looking at the Verizon map it looks like there is little or no service in the area. Maybe I have my head in the sand, but don't they have cell service everywhere?

Anyone that has Verizon and been there lately have any input.

You should have ship cell service maybe at $2.50 minute.

Verizon is based in the States as far as I know.

Roatan is part of Honduras.

You would need to talk to Verizon about an international package.

There are two cell companies on the island Tigo and Clairo. If you have a phone that can be "unlocked" you can buy a sim card and use it in your phone.

I figure it is just easier to pop in to a internet cafe and use their phone for a small fee.

Most places in the world do indeed have cell service.

Will that service work with your phone ? Maybe - maybe not. I leave mine home.

Dh used his iPhone there but he has international service of some type (I am a techno dummy) He is an attorney and his office pays for it as it is expensive but he has to stay in touch. It was a bit "off and on" though.

Cell phone service is available throughout a very large part of the entire world. The problem though is that some countries (including Europe) use a different type of cell service....think of it as Microsoft vs Apple both are computers but they each use different programming at their core levels.....whereas the US and some other countries use another. Most of the newer smart phones can be installed with a foreign use sim card to allow use in most areas. Most major carriers in the US...Verizon, Sprint, AT&T all have or have agreements with local carriers for use in other countries. Simple phone call to the carrier will tell you what you would need. If you're only going to want to use it once though I would just use the ship's cell service or if you are in a port get a calling card and use a public phone (least expensive and you get longer talking time).

We traveled all over Europe a few years ago for 10 days and had the cell phone....worked great when it worked but just like the US there is some spotty service in areas.

I am also sailing over Thanksgiving. Have you checked into calling from your ship? I know in May when I sailed on the Carnival Destiny it was $1.99 a minute. Actually it was cheaper then Verizon international which I think was $2.49 a minute. I will probably just call from the ship before we head out for our excursions.

Go the page linked below and fill in your data for destinations and phone model. It will tell you what your rates will be. Remember to call VZW ahead of time to turn on global roaming. Also, decide whether you want to just call home or to use data (e-mail, surfing, etc.) as well. If the former, make sure to turn off data roaming on your phone, or you will unknowingly incur data charges from apps running in the background. If the latter, then it would probably be best to go for the Global Data Plan. We used it for two weeks and did not come even close to the 100Mb limit. (YMMV.)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Archived