Does Princess have wheelchairs on board?

Cher7

We are scheduled to board the Grand Princess November 17th for a 2 week Caribbean cruise. I fell a few days ago and now have a hamstring injury. I can hobble around the house but may not be able to manage the on board walking. I would appreciate any information anyone has to share with regard to a wheelchair.

We are scheduled to board the Grand Princess November 17th for a 2 week Caribbean cruise. I fell a few days ago and now have a hamstring injury. I can hobble around the house but may not be able to manage the on board walking. I would appreciate any information anyone has to share with regard to a wheelchair.

Hi Cher7

I think the answer can be found here: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp under "Passengers with special needs" -"We have wheelchair-accessible staterooms on all Princess Cruises’ ships. If you require a mobility device, you must provide your own".

You could ring Princess to enquire. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Happy sailing!

Princess used to provide wheelchairs but no longer. They are available only for use by the Medical Center. You'll need to either rent a wheelchair and bring it with you or arrange with a wheelchair rental company to deliver it to the ship.

Wheelchairs must be able to get through the cabin doorway and stored in the cabin. You cannot leave it in the hallway or any public area.

You can arrange for wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarking. Princess tours with the term "EZ" in the tour name are designed for those with mobility problems. If you let Princess know you have a special need, a packet will be in your cabin with information and tour suggestions.

If you don't need a wheelchair to get to the port, you can arrange rental through "Special Needs at Sea dot com" or "Care Vacations dot com". It will be waiting in your cabin. Then you should call your TA & arrange to have wheelchair assistance for boarding & disembarking from Princess. If you need a wheelchair to get from car to the port area, you should arrange for one from a local medical supplier. Since you are somewhat mobile, you can hobble into your cabin and then the wheelchair can be folded up & brought into the cabin. At this late date, it is doubtful if you could get a handicapped cabin. Also, if you go to the Disabled Cruising Boards, you will find more detailed information.

We use a 'transport chair' for my elderly mom. It is very stable to board, disembark and explore ports. As an example, last year on Thursday (we were set to disembark on Saturday) I tore my meniscus pretty bad in my knee. :mad: I could not walk at all. I could not hop but a few steps because of my weight. We were in a balcony cabin and the chair just fit between the wall & bed to get me to the restroom and back. I disembarked and went through the airport in that chair. It folds to go in the cabin of the plane and also fits well on the bus/van for tours on the islands. We store it in the cabin closet when not in use. Go check it out before you decide. 99.00 at a drug store. By the way, that incident taught me a lesson and I have since lost weight. Someone else in your family will most likely benefit from the chair someday also. Good luck!

We rented a wheelchair from one of the companies that has them waiting in the cabin for you, for my DM to use (age 90 at the time). Had arranged for wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarkation. The wheelchair supplied by the rental company was waiting when we arrived however it broke within 24 hours. Princess let my mom use one of their wheelchairs for the duration of the trip, even allowing us to take it off the ship for excursions. That was wonderful customer service on their part!!

Archived