Sun Princess thoughts and reviews

uncialman

Greetings fellow cruisers!

I will be leading a large group aboard the Sun Princess on the August 29th Northbound itinerary and wanted to get some of your thoughts on several different areas:

a. How "intimate" is the Wheelhouse bar aboard the Sun Class ships? Is it appropriate for groups and meetings?

b. How much space is offered in the spa pool above the Horizon Court Rest. ? Is is enough to have a small gathering around the terraced steps late at night?

c. How is the food and service in the main dining room?

d. What would you say are the 'can't miss' excursions during the Northbound route (I have only done RT Vancouvers in years past)

e. What is the present condition of the Sun? Have the years (and Princess) been kind to her?

Thanks for your comments...

Uncialman

the Wheelhouse bar can be very intimate its theme is dark cherry, leather chairs and couches, they do have a lounge singer or a piano player, this bar is mostly busy at dinner times, so anytime after 5pm till late they are hopping, people love to lounge and have a drink before and after dinner.

During that day i find them to be quiet and intimate

Not much space at all on pool decks especially days at sea, people are sunning there bodies, days at port u will find more space at pools.

Dinner in the dining room is fabulous, i prefer Traditional seating over persoal choice, Traditional seating you will have the same waiter every night and will accommodate table sizez prior to trip

I havent been on the Sun in years, i too am skeptical going on a ship under 2000.

Hope this helped!

We were on the Sun a week ago. It really is in pretty good shape for a ship of that age, and seems to be maintained very well.

thanks for the tip! I am now searching for my next cruise and i might be going back on the sun!!

thanks for the tip! I am now searching for my next cruise and i might be going back on the sun!!

We will be on the Sun next March for the "Eastern Caribbean Voyager" cruise (10 days). Join us !!! :D

Alain R.

The Sun is in excellent shape for a 10-year old vessel and the food was excellent when we sailed her back on 1/28.

The Wheelhouse Bar is one of my favorite places on the ship and I'm certain you'll enjoy it as well.

Many people are quite fond of the Sun-class ships because they seem to be the perfect mix of space and people.

I suggest seeking out the "Live from the Sun" thread I started on our cruise.There are some very knowledgable people there and will have an answer for any question you may have.

Have a fantastic cruise!

I love the Sun. Did Panama Canal on her in 2003. Also cruised her sister ships. Nice size and good trafic flow. Going on her again in Nov to So Caribbean, can't wait.

Wheelhouse bar is wonderful anytime! I think it would be ok during the day for a group meeting, as long as you are done before pre dinner cocktails.

I think you are referring to the spa pool on Rivera deck, aft, with the terraced steps (seats). Seems to me like there was someone there most of the time but never crowded. Those seats are usually wet. Late at night might be the best time for a small gathering.

We found the food and service in the main dining room excellent. We always do traditional, first seating. Works for us.

Enjoy your cruise!

Carol

uncialman,

My DH and I will be on board the ship with you and your "large group". We have a thread started on the roll call board if you or any of your group would like to join us. Only a few folks so far, but it is bound to start hopping as we get closer to the sailaway date.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of a group are you leading? This is my first cruise, so I am not familiar with how the group thing goes.

Looking forward to a great cruise,

Not much space at all on pool decks especially days at sea, people are sunning there bodies, days at port u will find more space at pools.

!

NOT in Alaska, the pool deck is completely empty. Plenty of space if you want it. :)

We were on the Sun last month and were impressed with the great condition the ship is in - everything looked to be in great condition and very clean. The food was very good, I do not think you need to worry about that :-) We loved the size of this ship and it never felt crowded--in fact we occasionally wondered where was everyone :-)

uncialman,

My DH and I will be on board the ship with you and your "large group". We have a thread started on the roll call board if you or any of your group would like to join us. Only a few folks so far, but it is bound to start hopping as we get closer to the sailaway date.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of a group are you leading? This is my first cruise, so I am not familiar with how the group thing goes.

Looking forward to a great cruise,

Hey there Hate2w8t!

I will be leading the Alpha and Omega Ministries/Audience 1 cruise on their 6th annual cruise this year (This is their first (and my first with a group of this size) venture on Princess: they have primarily have been on either HAL or Celebrity.

Alpha and Omega Ministries and their Founder, Dr. James White, deals mainly with Christian apologetics of the presuppositional and classical realm, with an emphasis on scholarly debate. He will be leading the group in several teachings in regards to manuscript origins of Scripture, the sufficiency of Scripture etc. This year, they will be bringing theologian Dr. John Dominic Crossan (Jesus Seminar Co-Founder, well published author, Bible skeptic who has been featured on PBS and Peter Jenning's specials on ABC) to debate the Ressurrection of Christ. The debate will last 3 hours and will be done in a very scholarly, thoughtful manner.

Audiece 1 is the ministry of Grammy Award winning Christian musician Steve Camp. He will be performing at least twice during the week.

I'll be pretty busy trying to keep this group facilitated, but I'd love to meet you on board if time permits...

Uncialman

Archived