Inexpensive things to do in Grand Cayman

newbie3815

Yes, the Grand Cayman Historical museum is right near the port. It is located at 3 South Church St. across from the South Terminal and just a short walk from the North Terminal. It is only $5 for Adults (not sure about children's rates) and is open M-F 9-5 and Sat 9-1. There is a small cafe that serves tropical drinks, ice cream and snacks plus a little gift shop that has some very nice Christmas items in addition to other Cayman gift selections.

We were scheduled to port in GC on our past two cruise but because of sailing both times during Hurricane season, we missed the port twice. We were, however, planning just to get off of the ship and walk around a bit and visit this museum then sit and have a drink in thier courtyard cafe. I have not been there but have heard that it is a quaint place to visit and inexpensive as well.

Good luck to you, have a great time.

http://www.museum.ky/73/About-Us.htm

You can easily hop on the bus to 7 Mile beach.....$2.50 pp. They have chair and umbrella rentals, restrooms, food/drink on the beach. If you don't want a chair, you just use your ship supplied towels!

Thanks for the info; we have always done excursions with the ship so I am a little nervous about us getting on a bus alone. How far of a ride is it to the beach. Is it easy to let them know where you want to get off? Where do you find the bus to board and catch it back to the ship.

Thanks for the info; we have always done excursions with the ship so I am a little nervous about us getting on a bus alone. How far of a ride is it to the beach. Is it easy to let them know where you want to get off? Where do you find the bus to board and catch it back to the ship.

I haven't ever taken the buses on Grand Caymen but I have on several other islands and I feel very comfortable doing so. I feel like you get more of a feel for the culture of the island by mingling with the locals. I just always make sure I head back to port with at least an hour or so to spare in case I run into problems with buses being on "island time". Often times I just talk to the bus driver and explain that I'm not sure where to get off and often he will tell me when we are at our stop. I had one really nice bus driver on Antigua who asked us what time we wanted to come back and he came back at that exact time and picked us up at the beach. :) I am planning on taking the bus on Grand Cayman in February when we are there.

When leaving the pier area, walk a short distance to your right. In plain view, is a small

vendor providing snorkeling equipment.

A small set of steps leads directly to the ocean's edge. The vendor feeds the marine life and a virtual frenzy will incircle a snorkeler.

The primary marine visitor is the HUGE tarpon school.

When I was swimming among them a Japanese tourist, stood there and started

shouting "Shark. Shark." Mistaking the tarpon for a Great White.

When leaving the pier area, walk a short distance to your right. In plain view, is a small

vendor providing snorkeling equipment.

A small set of steps leads directly to the ocean's edge. The vendor feeds the marine life and a virtual frenzy will incircle a snorkeler.

The primary marine visitor is the HUGE tarpon school.

When I was swimming among them a Japanese tourist, stood there and started

shouting "Shark. Shark." Mistaking the tarpon for a Great White.

That's PARADISE GRILL. We spent the day there in Sept. and had a lovely and inexpensive time! We did rent a locker for $5 but ended up just leaving our stuff at one of the tables in the restaurant patio area and the waiters kept an eye on it for us (and others that did the same). We did purchase food and drinks throughout our visit and tipped the waiters well, but the table and snorkeling were free!!! (We have our own gear). REALLY NICE.

Here's an inexpensive day. Get off the tender, walk across the main street to the right of Diamonds International (remember to look left!!!), walk up Fort St a short block and Heroes Square will be on your right. On the other side of Heroes Sq is Edward St and you will see the Library. To the right of the Library you will see many small vans...viola!!, the Grand Cayman public bus station. To go to 7 mile, get on Bus # 1 (yellow) or Bus # 2 (lime green). Tell the driver where specifically you want to go, i.e., Royal Palms, Calico Jack's, Tiki Beach, etc. These are places you can get a drink but if you just lounge on the beach with your towel, it's free. Side trip in the West Bay/7 Mile Beach area is a stop at Hell. Just a tourist area but it's fun to send your in-laws a post card from Hell and wish they were there :D. Bus fare is $2.50 pp one way (no transfers). Coming back, just go back out on the road and wave down one of these "buses." They will honk at you but it's just their way of indicating they are available. Remember, GC drives on the left side of the road. Trip to Hell, Hell to Calico Jack's, Calico Jack's to tender pier, $7.50 pp

GC is one of the easiest places to do things on your own. Very clean...very safe....the beach is but minutes away...depending when you hop off the bus! 7-Mile Beach is NOT 7 miles long...MORE LIKE 5+ miles....not far at all.

I agree. This is one port where taking the bus wouldn't cause me any concern. Grand Cayman is a little bit like going to a beach town in California.

We did sponsored excursions on our first cruise and enjoyed them pretty much. Since then, we have chosen to do "DIY" on almost all of our cruises and ports. It is not so bad and you can, generally, spend the day doing what you want and spend as much or as little as you want with no problems.

If you do DIY, just remember something we told the graduation group we chaperoned - the ship leaves ON TIME and does not wait if you are late. Just keep your departure time in mind (be sure to use ship time!) and you will have a great trip!

Archived