Airport questions SJU

Dayenu

Hi, all, doing a search I found the following on the www.langland.org website

1) on arrival they check if your claim tag matches your bag

2) on departure, if you still have cruise ship tag on your luggage, you don't have to do agriculture inspection

3) eat before you go through security, as after-security food lines are too long

Can somebody confirm this? Deny? Opinions? Any info? Please :confused:

2) on departure, if you still have cruise ship tag on your luggage, you don't have to do agriculture inspection

3) eat before you go through security, as after-security food lines are too long

Haven't been to SJU for a few years but plan to arrive Saturday for a cruise.

I do recall checking baggage tags but it was quick. I'm surprised that more airports don't do that.

I have always put my bags through the Agricultural Inspection scanners. I hadn't heard about the cruise ship exemption.

When I went to that web site all I got was a screen with the web address on it.

The SJU airport is not noted for it's food or shopping but i don't think this is a priority for people leaving after a cruise.

The best thing about SJU in my opinion is the ease of getting a taxi to your hotel or the ship. There is a transportation desk where you tell the person where you are going and they give you a ticket with the price already established. Then you give it to your driver and you are off.

Very civilized.

I'll check on the agriculture waiver when we fly out on the 17th.

If next week's cruise goes well I hope I can say 'Dayenu'

We've flown in and out of SJU many times and don't recall anyone checking baggage claim tags. If they do that would be a good thing to make sure people are taking the right ones.

Not sure about the USDA inspection, but I doubt a cruise tag would exempt you from that. If you just fly to Puerto Rico and then fly home to the US you need the inspection. Why would having spent time on a cruise ship make one exempt from it? Easier to just get the USDA sticker, it takes all of 10-30 seconds. I've seen people who waited in line a long time to check in and been told they had to go back and get the USDA sticker and start all over again. Not to mention, when I fly I don't want any tags on my luggage except my name tag and the airlines baggage tag. No unnecessary distractions for the baggage handlers, I want it to make it to its destination.

I don't think we've eaten at the airport so I haven't paid much attention to the lines.

We have sailed out of San Juan for the past 5 years.

1. On occasion our claim tags have been checked. Not every time. Just hang on to them and you will be fine. This doesn't hold up getting out of the airport with your checked luggage.

2. In my experience, you always need to do the agriculture inspection. Even if you still have the cruise ship tag on your luggage.

3. We usually get something to eat from the Wendy's across from the airport (you can walk) because it is cheap and hot. Never noticed food lines after security to be out of control.

Hope this helps. Our flight home is typically around 12-3.

-Kristi

never had it happen in 10 years of traveling to SJU

No, everyone must go thruogh the Ag inspection

Since they remodeled the airport a few years ago there are many more places to eat on the "other side" of security. Lines can get a little long but since we like to be at the gate an hour before our flight it's never been a problem.

never had it happen in 10 years of traveling to SJU

No, everyone must go thruogh the Ag inspection

Since they remodeled the airport a few years ago there are many more places to eat on the "other side" of security. Lines can get a little long but since we like to be at the gate an hour before our flight it's never been a problem.

I agree with you! Never had my luggage claim tag checked in 4 visits. Always had to go through the ag inspection, no exceptions. I don't remember long lines at food places, but the airport gets crowded, so lines are probably inevitable. I had no problem getting food on my last visit.

I agree with you! Never had my luggage claim tag checked in 4 visits. Always had to go through the ag inspection, no exceptions. I don't remember long lines at food places, but the airport gets crowded, so lines are probably inevitable. I had no problem getting food on my last visit.

I have been asked for my claim ticket at SJU. And the one time I couldn't find it, I showed the guy my passport and that it matched the tag on my duffel bag. Of course I found the ticket right where I put it, in my front pocket, as soon as I stepped outside. :o

I have been asked for my claim ticket at SJU. And the one time I couldn't find it, I showed the guy my passport and that it matched the tag on my duffel bag. Of course I found the ticket right where I put it, in my front pocket, as soon as I stepped outside. :o

I really think that all airports should ask for claim tickets- It seems like it would be so easy for someone to just walk off with someone else's luggage tag. I guess it's hit or miss at SJU because I don't think I've ever been checked.

I always hear these nightmare stories about how hard it is to get through the airport and I have always been super lucky- except last year when the airplane broke down on the runway and we had to stand in line for 4 hours to get rebooked on another flight. Not sure I can blame the airport for that, though.:)

Archived