Jumbo jets at Maho beach on 11/17

wakar13

Saturdays and Wednesdays are the best days for Maho beach because that's when the big airplanes land at Princess Juliana airport. I would get there in the mid morning because by 3pm, you'll have seen several big jets. When you get there, look at the surfboard that is standing up by the bar. It's updated daily with the flight info.

Saturdays and Wednesdays are the best days for Maho beach because that's when the big airplanes land at Princess Juliana airport. I would get there in the mid morning because by 3pm, you'll have seen several big jets. When you get there, look at the surfboard that is standing up by the bar. It's updated daily with the flight info.

Big jets land daily. I remember while on vacation in the the summer of 2011 the Biggest KLM flight from Amsterdam came in the morning around 11 on both Sunday and Tuesday.

Flight arrivals really depend entirely on the season. I would try to plan ahead instead of getting there and looking at Sunset's surfboard to see what the schedule might be. Personally, I wouldn't even be at Sunset, I'd be at Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar, across the beach, opposite side of the runway.

I would strongly suggest using something like Kayak to check flights well in advance or use something like Joyce Prince's flights page to see what's currently happening on the same day of the week that you will be there a week or two in advance.

That said, I would definitely plan to be out of Maho Beach headed back to the Cruise Facility before 3:00 unless you ship leaves at 6:00 or 7:00.

gary

Maho was worth every minute - missed a lot of these posts as we turn off cellphones as soon as the ship makes its first move from home port.

Saturday 11/18 was awesome - considering that its winter in most places the busy season for cruises and planes should start now and weekends are when most people begin or end travel especially Fri/Sat- logically speaking of course.

We were there from 12:30 - 3 and just feasted on at least 8 large jets in that time frame plus smaller craft to practice picture taking. The takeoffs were equally phenomenal - and yes if you see an Insel Air be prepared for a special takeoff or blow away depending on which side of the plane you are on!!

Highly recommend this road trip - plan on traffic there is a big detour on the way to Maho so at least 30-40 minutes by taxi.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond!

• 2 weeks later...
Maho was worth every minute - missed a lot of these posts as we turn off cellphones as soon as the ship makes its first move from home port.

Saturday 11/18 was awesome - considering that its winter in most places the busy season for cruises and planes should start now and weekends are when most people begin or end travel especially Fri/Sat- logically speaking of course.

We were there from 12:30 - 3 and just feasted on at least 8 large jets in that time frame plus smaller craft to practice picture taking. The takeoffs were equally phenomenal - and yes if you see an Insel Air be prepared for a special takeoff or blow away depending on which side of the plane you are on!!

Highly recommend this road trip - plan on traffic there is a big detour on the way to Maho so at least 30-40 minutes by taxi.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond!

Doy ou have any pictures? I read that there is a lot of erosion in the beach. Can it still be used just as a beach or is it too rocky for that?

Archived