might need to cancel - have insurance

kathyemma

We are sailing on Oasis for Thanksgiving week. My mom and dd are in one room, my dh and i are in one across the hall. My dd is 14. My mom and dd have insurance. We do not. My Mom might have to cancel. Her brother needs to be admitted into a nursing home. Until a room is ready she is taking care of him. I called and the insurance will cover her trip and they will also pay the single upcharges so her traveling companion can still travel. Well, her traveling companion is 14. Will Royal let her be booked in a room alone? I won't let her stay alone - I would stay with her but as far as paper work goes she would be booked alone. I can't switch names around with Royal b/c the insurance is in my mom and daughtes name.

Anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Not sure if it will matter but my insurance is with travel guard and I booked using a TA. Do you know those big warehouse clubs where you can buy a years worth of paper towels? Well, that is the TA I used.

TIA

Kathy

If I understand the only one canceling is your mom. Insurance is going to get her out of the contract. Insurance will pay your daughters single supplement. I would imagine that you'll be able to have your dh an dd keys changed once onboard. I would venture once your mom cancels and the single supplement paid, RCI may even change the names in the room in advance.

I have the yearly medical travel guard insurance (I travel extensively all year) and wondered what your reference was to that insurance. I only heard good things about it but you sort of sounded like it wasn't good. What do you mean?

Since she'd be across the hall from you they ~might~ let her be in a cabin solo on paper but I wouldn't count on it.

By any chance is your cabin 3/4 accommodating? Could you cancel both (mom &dd) out via insurance then add her to your cabin as the 3rd?

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Being that its Saturday night (when they do their weekly maintenance) don't go by what's on the website - I just looked at April 2013 and its showing 8 cruises only for the whole month for everywhere... Check again tomorrow afternoon once they get the site up and running again.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

There is no problem with a son or daughter being in their own cabin as long as it is next to or across from the parents cabin, you can book this way.

This is true. If she is next door or right across from you, she can be in her own cabin. It is up to you if you want her to stay there alone or if you want to sleep in her cabin. You can get keys from the front desk for you to get into her cabin and she can get into your cabin.

Another thought. I have looked into temporary care for a family member. They have board and care type facilities that take respite care patients for up to two weeks. There may be one in your area. It may just be too costly for your mother to do this, but may be an option.

My nephew 14 stayed in his own cabin across the hall from his mother last year. He also had another person booked in the cabin that did not make the cruise. They took a monitor ( they had one). She did not want to keep calling. He loved having his own space. AND his own bathroom that did not smell " girly". They will do connecting cabins next time.

Another thought. I have looked into temporary care for a family member. They have board and care type facilities that take respite care patients for up to two weeks. There may be one in your area. It may just be too costly for your mother to do this, but may be an option.

My nephew 14 stayed in his own cabin across the hall from his mother last year. He also had another person booked in the cabin that did not make the cruise. They took a monitor ( they had one). She did not want to keep calling. He loved having his own space. AND his own bathroom that did not smell " girly". They will do connecting cabins next time.

Still not sure what is going to happen. The issue is convincing him he can no longer live on his own. My mom is at his house taking care of him - if she can get him to agree to move into assisted living then she can sail. If she can't, then she needs to stay until she can talk him into it.

Kathy

as a side note, while it is expensive, many nursing homes do offer short term respite care...it must be paid for out of pocket (though there may be some sort of coverage based on health insurance...i do not know your situation....) just saying that, it might be an option...

best wishes and prayers for your family......i cared for my mom 24/7 for 2 solid years....without respite care i would have gone crazy.....

There is no problem with a son or daughter being in their own cabin as long as it is next to or across from the parents cabin, you can book this way.
Yup should not have a problem at all. I have done it twice, both times our daughter was a minor and directly across the hall from me. Get an extra key at the customer service desk so you can easily access her cabin.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yup should not have a problem at all. I have done it twice, both times our daughter was a minor and directly across the hall from me. Get an extra key at the customer service desk so you can easily access her cabin.

BonVoyage

Dawna

And the way my dh snores - I will be bunking with dd!!

Still waiting to get final word from doctors/uncle/mom as to what will happen. We have to let insurance know by Thursday.

Kathy

Archived