renting in Europe

ClaudiaF

I think it would be much, much easier to bring your own wheelchair. It would be a huge hassle to find places in European cities that would be nearby to the cruise port that would bring a chair for just one day's use. Unfortunately, many European cities just don't have the facilities for the disabled that we have in the US.

I did a google search and found very little in the way of renting chairs. One site might give you a little help.

http://www.slowtrav.com/europe/disabled_travel.htm

what country? I have a lot of local places, bot not one big all inclusive chain that serves all of the continent. Here is a link to the products/services part of our database of accessible travel resources (whihc lists some rental places in Europe).

http://emerginghorizons.com/resources/index.php3?viewCat=144

Is this for a cruise? If so, you might ask the cruise lines who their preferred providers are in the embarkation city. They can deliver it to the ship then.

Candy

for France ( Provence area) for a barge cruise actually.. don't need it for all the time, but thought it might make it easier on hubby in museums etc.

Hate to schelp one from home, if can get a company to deliver to ship and pick it up at the end of the cruise..

• 2 weeks later...

There's an organization -- Scoot Around -- that rents electric scooters and, I think, wheelchairs, in some European countries at very low rates. Some have limited hours of operation, and it's a good idea (possibly even a requirement) to make reservations ahead of time. I think their website is http://www.scootaround.com/ I know they were in Great Britain a couple of years ago; we rented scooters in Bath and Southampton for ridiculously low prices.

Sorry; the European scooter rental places are Shopmobility (or Shop Mobility), not Scoot Around. They do have a website, but I can't recall exactly what it is. Scoot Around rents scooters for use on board the ship, while Shopmobility rents them for use around European towns.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have information on how to rent a scooter for a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise? CareVacations (who will supply the scooter for our cruise) wants to charge what I think is an outrageous amount for delivering the scooter to our hotel and then having it delivered to the ship. Anyone have info on where to rent in Barcelona for a more modest cost?

Archived