First timer in Cozumel

sleepy1

We're arriving in June on Inspiration at 9:30 am (and leave 10:00 pm) but want to make the most of our time there. We are REALLY disappointed that we won't be able to see Chichen Itza b/c of the time constraint, but would still love to see some great Mayan ruins and still have time for some snorkeling (something VERY easy for people who can't swim very well and scare easily :o ). Is it possible for us to do both or do we have to choose one or the other? The Tulum excursion offered by Carnival takes 7 hours.. but I thought you could see the whole site in about 2 hours..where does the rest of the time go? We're leaving in a week and a half but I still don't know how to make the most of our time there...please help!! :eek:

Hola,

While not on the scale of Tulum, San Gervasio is on the island of Cozumel and can be had for the price of cab fare. Or you might look at www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/tours/tucan.php . Tucan has a tour that can fill your need. I found it while researching tours for our trip in January.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

Hi sleepy1,

Since it's your first time to Cozumel, why not just spend your day in Cozumel? We did a fun dune buggy tour where you drive your own dune buggy off-road, stop to see a very small ruin, go to the beach for a wonderfully prepared lunch, snorkel if the seas allow it and then drive back into town. You could probably even go to San Gervasio after this tour.

To go to Tulum you will have to take a boat over to the mainland (I've heard it can be a rough ride), drive approximately 1 hour south, see the ruins and then do the same transportation to get back. It would be a long day.

We saw Tulum when we were in Cancun for a land vacation this January. I loved the site but I wouldn't go through all that to get there from Cozumel.

This time in Cozumel we're doing a boat tour where you drive your own boat. That also sounds like a ball!!!

Happy planning!

Sleepy1...which date are you cruising on Carnival? We are on the Inspiration June 11, and I haven't found anybody so far that is cruising with us! Just wondering! We are looking for a snorkel adventure for half the day, then the beach at Paradise the other half. We stayed in Tulum in Feb. for a week, all-inclusive, and it was AWESOME! But it is a LONG drive down there, and not much to do other than the ruins on the beach, and then miles of isolated beaches. I think you'd be better of staying on Cozumel for just a day, but definitely plan on making a trip to Tulum in the future!

Sleepy1:

Ever thought of getting to Chichen Itza by Airplane?

A group of us did this in April, and it is a bit pricey, but WELL worth the $$$.

If you are interested let me know and I will give you the people we used, and we have pics, because the Airplane option is not offered by the cruise ships.

We left the ship about 9: 00 am, and we were back on the ship by 3:00pm.

And the actual guided tour was about 2 1/2 hours.

Alisha

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your input. After reading the replies, I've decided to save the Mayan ruins for another trip (to the mainland) and explore Cozumel's beauty underwater instead. I can't wait to set sail on the 6th! See you at the beach!

Archived