Update on broken thump/thumb

cruisinmeme

Just to clear things up a little .. I think .

"" she got another splint (different from the one she got at ER) and can go on cruise. Will probably get cast after the trip.""

Its sounds as though its a simple splint , no cast.. ;)

Splints can be as hard as a cast and have to be cutoff like a cast so it would also need to be protected like a cast

Just to clear things up a little .. I think .

"" she got another splint (different from the one she got at ER) and can go on cruise. Will probably get cast after the trip.""

Its sounds as though its a simple splint , no cast.. ;)

Yes, a splint. It has Velcro and can be removed. It is a hard splint very much like a cast. The first one was sorta skimpy. The doctor just felt better her leaving with this rather than plaster cast. He doesn't want her removing it and going wild.(lol).

We are bringing an extra one ( she doesn't know about it) in the event we got stuck in rain or whatever. We are also bringing nice plastic bag and tape. We will have a tub so I think a bath will be easier (with help)

When we return they will take another x-ray to see how it is healing. At that time they may put plaster cast.

Yes, a splint. It has Velcro and can be removed. It is a hard splint very much like a cast. The first one was sorta skimpy. The doctor just felt better her leaving with this rather than plaster cast. He doesn't want her removing it and going wild.(lol).

We are bringing an extra one ( she doesn't know about it) in the event we got stuck in rain or whatever. We are also bringing nice plastic bag and tape. We will have a tub so I think a bath will be easier (with help)

When we return they will take another x-ray to see how it is healing. At that time they may put plaster cast.

Sorry, I am trying to figure out why this splint can't get wet. I realize that this is the instruction that you got but I know very well that Dr.'s advice varies as well and perhaps hers is the one out of 5 asked that would give you these instructions. If the splint is not made out of plaster and is instead made out of plastic or metal I personally would not be overly freaked out if it happened to get a little wet. In that case I would do the bread bag trick and at least allow her to wade in the ocean or sit at the edge of the pool where the water laps up and cools you down.

I would be very concerned about her falling on it however and take precautions to prevent that. I would tell her to be very careful when walking on the pool deck and in the buffet especially as these two places tend to be the ones with spills and slippery floors.

Sorry, I am trying to figure out why this splint can't get wet. I realize that this is the instruction that you got but I know very well that Dr.'s advice varies as well and perhaps hers is the one out of 5 asked that would give you these instructions. If the splint is not made out of plaster and is instead made out of plastic or metal I personally would not be overly freaked out if it happened to get a little wet. In that case I would do the bread bag trick and at least allow her to wade in the ocean or sit at the edge of the pool where the water laps up and cools you down.

I would be very concerned about her falling on it however and take precautions to prevent that. I would tell her to be very careful when walking on the pool deck and in the buffet especially as these two places tend to be the ones with spills and slippery floors.

I agree , this is where I was coming from .. ;)

Sounds like the cast is coming after the cruise but they sell waterproof cast covers in the grocery store and drug stores here. Not the most attractive but durable, reuse able and effective.

I'm so glad she is able to go, have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, not that durable actually. My son went through 3 of them with his cast earlier this year. They are very thin around the part that goes over your arm so tear very easily unfortunately. A bag and duct tape is what he'll use next time.

Well she could get it wet.. Would just take forever to dry, even though we have two. Her mother is just wanting us to follow doctors orders of no pool. Wouldn't be a biggy if she was in her pool at home where if she bumps it or jams it they could run her to the ER. Give a kid an inch and they want a mile sorta thing. I do plan to let her at lease sit in kids pool.

I let my kids do anything and everything (they are no 40 & 43) but I try and follow the rules with grandkids.

Well she could get it wet.. Would just take forever to dry, even though we have two. Her mother is just wanting us to follow doctors orders of no pool. Wouldn't be a biggy if she was in her pool at home where if she bumps it or jams it they could run her to the ER. Give a kid an inch and they want a mile sorta thing. I do plan to let her at lease sit in kids pool.

I let my kids do anything and everything (they are no 40 & 43) but I try and follow the rules with grandkids.

She doesn't have to be in a pool or wading in the ocean to bump her thumb. Are you going to allow her in the kids club? In all honesty I would be far more concerned about her re-injuring her hand in there compared to splashing around in the ocean under your supervision or standing beside you in the pool for a few minutes to cool off.

Archived