Update on broken thump/thumb

cruisinmeme

well thanks everyone for the good wishes, parquets (aka prayers)

It worked. Saw the ortho doc today and no surgery, she got another splint (different from the one she got at ER) and can go on cruise. Will probably get cast after the trip. She was told no pool or water slide.

I was hoping we could take it off awhile and do some water stuff, but if she were to bump it, oops. It all has to do with where the break is.

So in 6 days we are ready for a week of fun.

Thanks everyone

Oh, in the big city of baton rouge and they acted like we were taking a foreign language about a waterproof cast. They were not keen on her leaving with a regular cast. All the things kids will do like scratch inside and cause an infection, or it gets wet, etc.

jeez louise....my daughter had a waterproof cast 30 yrs ago in a small city in nh!! too bad she will have to miss the water fun.....maybe you can do some family pool time at dinner when it's usually empty......one thing they did not tell us was that the cast would smell like lobsters for 6 weeks if she got it wet in the ocean! you'll at least be saved that:D...have a wonderful trip...

Water casts costs more and that is one reason why they are not offered to everyone who they are appropriate for. I highly doubt that ER staff at a major medical center or at an Ortho Clinic didn't know what they are. Chances are their kids got one when they had a fractured bone.

It's one of those squeaky wheel kind of things!

She gets to go and that is the main thing. Have a wonderful cruise.

I would put a plastic baggie with elastics so she could play in the pool, but try to keep her hand out of the water.

Back in the 50's before water-proof casts were invented, I broke my arm 3 summers is a row, at ages 6, 7 and 8. My mom wrapped my arm up in a few bread bags and then had me hold my arm up over my head while I played in the water. It wasn't the same as "swimming" but it sure did make my time in a cast seem not so crappy.

Yes, I know, times have changed and people are more protective of their kids these days...that's fine. But I still cherish memories of my summers wearing the bread bags.

OP, your little one will be happy to get to go, so hopefully the casted thumb will not be a problem and she'll realize how close she was to not having a cruise at all.

ENJOY THAT CRUISE!

Sounds like the cast is coming after the cruise but they sell waterproof cast covers in the grocery store and drug stores here. Not the most attractive but durable, reuse able and effective.

I'm so glad she is able to go, have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring an extra splint +tape. IF the current one gets wet you can swap it out.

I have 2 in competitive sports and can relate . ;)

The slide is not worth it .. But a walk in the ocean may be in order..

As noted we are talking about a splint not a cast ..

Back in the 50's before water-proof casts were invented, I broke my arm 3 summers is a row, at ages 6, 7 and 8. My mom wrapped my arm up in a few bread bags and then had me hold my arm up over my head while I played in the water. It wasn't the same as "swimming" but it sure did make my time in a cast seem not so crappy.

Yes, I know, times have changed and people are more protective of their kids these days...that's fine. But I still cherish memories of my summers wearing the bread bags.

I too wore the wonder bread cast bag as a child. :)

She will have a great time even with the cast.

OP, your little one will be happy to get to go, so hopefully the casted thumb will not be a problem and she'll realize how close she was to not having a cruise at all.

ENJOY THAT CRUISE!

Back when I was 10 years old I ripped the nail and the end part of my middle finger off on the second day or our family's month long cottage vacation. Needless to say that my middle finger was heavily bandaged for the duration. I also used a bread bag and elastics to cover my hand while I was swimming. It was quite a sight. Here was this kid swimming with one arm sticking out of the water giving everyone the finger!:eek:

Have a great cruise.

I'm sorry about the broken thumb. I tore ligaments in my thumb once and had to have casts on for a good month or so. You learn SOOOO fast just how important your thumb is!!!!!

I would go ahead and get a good quality waterproof cast protector. She'll need it after the trip also when she gets her cast. It will make everyday showering/bathing easy to do. There is this website, brokenbeauties (add the www, add the .com), that has really cool cast covers and slings. The cast covers are different types of fabric to make the cast fun. the slings are cool fabrics, too. As long as she has to be in splints/casts, make it fun and fashionable for her!!

Just to clear things up a little .. I think .

"" she got another splint (different from the one she got at ER) and can go on cruise. Will probably get cast after the trip.""

Its sounds as though its a simple splint , no cast.. ;)

Archived