Wine in checked luggage

Daydaes

A few people on this thread said there is no limit to how much wine you can bring on board and that you can bring more on from every port.

Does this mean they do not charge a corkage fee for any additional wine you bring above the allowed1 bottle per person ?

If you bring wine onboard at a port during your trip, do they hold it until the last night of your cruise of can you take it to your cabin?

My husband likes a wine that only comes in 2 L bottles. Will they allow each of us to bring one of these without additional charge, or will there be a corkage fee for the second bottle?

I apologize for all the ?'s but this thread provoked a lot of questions. I thought HAL permitted 1 bottle pp without charge and above that, a corkage fee with no limit to how many bottles you can bring. This thread says differently. Please help with the current rules.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

HAL allows 1 - 750ml bottle per person on embarkation. If you bring more than 1 per person, you are charged corkage of $18 per bottle. You are no longer able to bring it on from every port; should you decide to purchase wine in port, either forfeit it until it is returned the last night, or pay the $18 corkage per bottle. Wine must be in your carry-on; if it is discovered in your checked luggage, you will be called to the "naughty" room to have a little talk about it. :D

The 2 Litre bottles are not allowed, just as the boxes of wine are not allowed, as they are over the 750ml limit.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

HAL allows 1 - 750ml bottle per person on embarkation. If you bring more than 1 per person, you are charged corkage of $18 per bottle. You are no longer able to bring it on from every port; should you decide to purchase wine in port, either forfeit it until it is returned the last night, or pay the $18 corkage per bottle. Wine must be in your carry-on; if it is discovered in your checked luggage, you will be called to the "naughty" room to have a little talk about it. :D

The 2 Litre bottles are not allowed, just as the boxes of wine are not allowed, as they are over the 750ml limit.

Thanks for the clairification. Can we bring 1 2L bottle in lieu of 2 750ml bottles at embarqation ?

Is HAL really strict about that? We've never cruised HAL but have been able to bring wine onboard at every stop on other lines.

Patti

Which cruise line and how long ago?

Most the big cruise lines do not allow as they did years ago. Saga does... no problem. I don't know any others.

Not sure what you mean by the wine must be in your carry on and not in checked luggage. You can't carry wine on an airplane so it has to be in your checked luggage.

This is the CURRENT wine policy from the Know Before You Go document. It should clear up some of the questions and answers posted above.

"ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine

or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on

luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not

be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml)

in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00

(subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where

they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to

bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard.

Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all

alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this

policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and

returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not

receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages

that were removed from luggage.

^ For voyages that depart from and return to Australia and/or New

Zealand, this policy applies to guests 18 years and older.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml)

purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard

subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each,

irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored

and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports

of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from

onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening

of the voyage at no charge."

We want to bring our wine with us on the cruise. What is the best way to pack it in the luggage? We know it can't go carry on so assuming it must be checked. We have the cardboard container that it was shipped in, would that work?

It is actually the opposite: wine has to be in carry-on when boarding a HAL ship, not in checked luggage.

If you are not flying -- then you can put your wine in your carry-on.

No, HAL specifically states that it has to be carried on; it is not an option.

Edited by Boytjie

You should not pack wine in your checked luggage, as the bottle may break an ruin other guests clothing and suitcases. Bags are usually stacked many on top of each other, in large metal cages for loading on the lower decks of the ship. The best way is to keep wine with you. You are allowed to bring wine onboard on Holland America.

David

A few people on this thread said there is no limit to how much wine you can bring on board and that you can bring more on from every port.

Does this mean they do not charge a corkage fee for any additional wine you bring above the allowed1 bottle per person ?

If you bring wine onboard at a port during your trip, do they hold it until the last night of your cruise of can you take it to your cabin?

My husband likes a wine that only comes in 2 L bottles. Will they allow each of us to bring one of these without additional charge, or will there be a corkage fee for the second bottle?

I apologize for all the ?'s but this thread provoked a lot of questions. I thought HAL permitted 1 bottle pp without charge and above that, a corkage fee with no limit to how many bottles you can bring. This thread says differently. Please help with the current rules.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !

I bolded your last paragraph.. Please Note Everyone: This thread is 3 YEARS OLD...That is one of the dangers of resurrecting an old thread.. HAL's wine policy has changed & IMO a New thread should have been started if a newer thread was not found....

1) No Wine in your checked luggage, it must be carried on board..

2) Each adult is permitted one 750 ML bottle..No 2 litre bottles permitted

3) Anything over one bottle will have a corkage fee of $18.00 no matter where you drink it..

Windsailer's post No. 31 quotes the present HAL policy..

Not sure what you mean by the wine must be in your carry on and not in checked luggage. You can't carry wine on an airplane so it has to be in your checked luggage.

It must be in your carry-on when you board the ship. If you choose to fly with wine in your checked luggage, then go for it, but to board the ship, you should be placing it in your carry-on.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Just to confuse this issue a little more; our Med cruise last summer (2015) on the Zuiderdam had several Holland America shore excursions that included stops at wineries. We were told that as long as we purchased the wine at the winery, we were allowed to bring one bottle per passenger back to the ship to enjoy without paying the corkage fee. I did this at a few of our stops, with no problems.

It must be in your carry-on when you board the ship. If you choose to fly with wine in your checked luggage, then go for it, but to board the ship, you should be placing it in your carry-on.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Not sure how I would get a case of wine in a carry-on. We are carrying wine for an extended trip. The cruise is only part of it.

People still drink "Sauternes?"

Why yes, yes they do. In case you're wondering, people also still drink Port, Madeira, Vin Santo, Tokaji, late harvest reds & whites, Oloroso, Amontillado, Sherry, and demi-sec Champagne.

As a general rule, the table that uses the most wine glasses wins.

Not sure how I would get a case of wine in a carry-on. We are carrying wine for an extended trip. The cruise is only part of it.

It's not as hard as you'd think. A good shipping box with a handle strap balances on top of a rollaboard suitcase, a Wine Tote of Awesomeness in each hand, or a dedicated wine suitcase. It gets tricky when you try to exceed 18 bottles per person, but up until that point it's pretty doable.

Why yes, yes they do. In case you're wondering, people also still drink Port, Madeira, Vin Santo, Tokaji, late harvest reds & whites, Oloroso, Amontillado, Sherry, and demi-sec Champagne.

As a general rule, the table that uses the most wine glasses wins.

What, no muscats? Beaumes de Venise, or Moscato di Canali, Moscato d'Asti, etc? ;)

It's not as hard as you'd think. A good shipping box with a handle strap balances on top of a rollaboard suitcase, a Wine Tote of Awesomeness in each hand, or a dedicated wine suitcase. It gets tricky when you try to exceed 18 bottles per person, but up until that point it's pretty doable.

I misinterpreted your comment. I was thinking carry on like something you can put overhead on an airplane. My wine is in a 4 wheel spinner, polycarbonate wine suitcase. If carry on means I keep it with me that is doable.

I misinterpreted your comment. I was thinking carry on like something you can put overhead on an airplane. My wine is in a 4 wheel spinner, polycarbonate wine suitcase. If carry on means I keep it with me that is doable.

Basically, as long as you can take it aboard the ship with you, you're fine. You just can't give it to the porters for delivery to your room. It also has to fit through the security x-ray scanner, but even a 12 bottle shipping box, which is quite a bit thicker because of the extra padding, fits. You should be fine.

Basically, as long as you can take it aboard the ship with you, you're fine. You just can't give it to the porters for delivery to your room. It also has to fit through the security x-ray scanner, but even a 12 bottle shipping box, which is quite a bit thicker because of the extra padding, fits. You should be fine.

At long last, I've got it. Just a little slow on the uptake I guess. My wine suitcase is a spinner so I suspect it will get through the scanner just fine http://www.vingardevalise.com

At long last, I've got it. Just a little slow on the uptake I guess. My wine suitcase is a spinner so I suspect it will get through the scanner just fine http://www.vingardevalise.com

Just be prepared to pay at check-in $18.00 per bottle over & above your allowable one bottle per person.. Technically you can't give the spinner wine tote to the porters at the ship..