Drinking water

GuelphGal

That is very interesting but makes little sense. Here is why. Modern cruise ships use 3 types of water onboard,,,,potable or white, grey, and black. The white is perfectly safe to drink, tested several times a day, and is what comes out of all the faucets, used as drinking water in the dining rooms and lido, comes out of the shower, etc. Grey water is used in the toilets and for washing down decks, fire fighting etc. The grey is treated but not drinkable. Black....well that is basically sewer water and on most ships it is treated and turned into grey water. The solids extracted from the black water can be disposed in various ways or is stored for disposal in ports.

So, the bottom line is that the water you get out of the lido is the same water that is coming out of your cabin faucet. I should add that this is all regulated by law and enforced by various health inspections including the US Coast Guard and various EU authorities.

Hank

I also notices the difference in taste. The water from the bathroom sink was hardly drinkable, whereas the water from the dispensers on the Lido deck tasted ok, especially with a lot of ice and some lemon slices.

My guess is that the water dispensers have good filters built in that remove some of the bad taste. As you said, the water from the bathroom faucet has to be drinking water as well, so it's safe to drink as long as one can get over the taste...

You can bring those little single serving Crystal Lights mixes with you as well if you want to make the water taste better, lemonade, fruit punch,etc....

Ha! My husband uses Crystal Light all the time but I think it is the worst tasting stuff imaginable. I have to spit it out if I accidentally drink from a glass with it in the glass.

We drink plenty of water o board, and usually carry a case of bottled water on board to take off the ship with us at each port. If you run out of water while at port, just drink beer! That works for us!

Not sure where you are crusing....but if you want bottled water ashore why not just buy it ashore? Never understood carrying water around.....but then I guess we are not one of the "water people." Having traveled to over 110 countries on 6 continents we have never had a problem getting good bottled water (or beer) anywhere (getting beer in some Muslim countries can be a minor challenge :).

Hank

Here is a thought for the "avid water drinkers." One can make the statement that "drinking too much water may be dangerous to your health." I know it sounds crazy but it's actually true. The body is a delicate chemistry set that depends on a fine balance of various chemicals, electrolytes, fluids, etc. Too much water can upset this balance and lead to lots of health problems including death. Ok...so you think I am crazy (no more so then folks that are always carrying around water bottles). Just Google "water intoxication" and read.

Hank

The water coming out of the taps on a cruise ship comes from the on-board desalination plant. While it's sometimes true you can get a different standard of water out of different types of taps on a cruise ship all of the water from taps that are supposed to have potable water give the exact same water.

Archived