Sights from Heathrow to Southampton

Nickwolf and English Rose (or anyone else who can answer my question). While I'm being transported from Heathrow to Southamptom, will I see any of London's treasures - even from the window of a bus? Due to my flight schedule, I will arrive and be taken directly to the ship and immediately back to the airport at the end of the cruise. I was unable to book a "cruise related" stay at the end of the trip - unless I wanted to spend $850+ for 2 nights. So, I'm going to be reduced to seeing "in passing" whatever is on the way to and from the airport. Please tell me they'll take me by at least a few of the things that are "important to tourist."

It is not a route I know well as it is not the way I go to Southampton, I have just followed the route on a map though and I am sorry to say you will not be seeing anything of real interest on the way (and certainly no treasures). English Rose or Globaliser are more likely to be able to give you a definative answer as they will know the roads far better than me.

If you are anything like me after a west to east trans-atlantic flight the only thing you will see is the inside of your eyelids anyway.

When I go abroad I always find it interesting just seeing the everyday things as well as the sights, I hope you do too.

Nick.

If you are anything like me after a west to east trans-atlantic flight the only thing you will see is the inside of your eyelids anyway.
I'd highly recommend seeing these, as there will be little else of interest if the coach takes the conventional route to Southampton.

The only London "treasure" you're likely to see anything of is the M25, also known as the London Orbital Motorway. A vast piece of engineering, it's a road that completely rings Greater London with the intention of diverting through traffic around the city. It's an amazing thing, as every year you can watch them building more on to it. If you're really interested, you can see it in great detail for hours on end, as the road can magically turn - at the blink of an eye! - into London's biggest car park. Watch the locals' magic tricks as they change the colour of their faces into interesting shades of red! See the fascinating steam emission tricks played by the radiators of their overheating engines! Observe the ability of modern bumpers to absorb most of the shock of a rear-end collision! And if you're really lucky, learn some choice English swear words - just look for the fists being shaken by drivers at other drivers and keep your ears open!

Sounds as if I'm going to feel right at home - every day of the week during rush hour! Thanks folks for your advice. You're probably right, the only thing I'll really see is the inside of my eyelids. Oh well, it didn't hurt to hope......

Archived