ES to Pack & Go...taking my chances

sunluv

Just wondering what experience others have had with this.

I'm on ES, already paid in full so just looking to gain some OBC and put in the request for the Pack & Go rate which would get me a $120 credit.

I received the email saying I would need to give up my room and go into the guarantee pool. My room is nothing special, just an OV so I'm taking my chances. $120 sounds pretty sweet to me!

Has anyone had this situation? How did it turn out for you?

:) I have had balcony's, ocean views, and once an inside. I have discovered that there are some things to consider with carnival choosing your room for you. The 10 (5 port and 5 starboard) rooms that adjoin every elevator intersection have the potential of being very loud, if noise is an issue for you! The other consideration would be lower level thruster locations. Those will wake the dead. I don't mind the noise from the intersections so much, but the first time the bow thruster vibrated me out of bed @ 6 am was enough to make me try and choose my location. Ironically enough, I just booked a last minute 4day for 189.00pp sailing in 12 days that Carnival will choose for us!

I did it for both of our cabins on our Valor/Glory B2B next month. Gave up Inside Aft (Riviera) on Valor for $39 OBC and got a higher deck (Empress?) but ALL the way forward; gave up a Lido Inside on Glory for $114 and got a mid-ship inside (Main?). Hated to give up our first Lido deck cabin but the OBC is needed. BTW, OBC is nearly always much less after new taxes/fees.

Thankfully noise isn't an issue for me, I could sleep through an atomic bomb! LOL

I'm just wondering, if my original cabin was an OV, would my guarantee also remain an OV? or could I possibly be dropped to an inside?

where do you find the pack n go rates? and how close to the actual cruise are they offered?

Be aware that they're offered usually Wednesday afternoon thru the Weekend (not necessarily all sailings) usually a month or two to several weeks before sailing. ken

Wow, am I glad I decided to read this post. Never knew about the goccl Site. I have a question related to the original post. Not sure what ES means, but am I to understand that you had a cruise booked and paid for, saw that the pack and go price was less. So by giving up your guaranteed room and letting Carnival now choose your room, you will receive the difference in price in obc? Not too bad if your cruise appears on the pack and go list!

nissach, ES means Early Saver. If you book under ES, you are guaranteed the lowest rate for the cabin category you booked. You just need to keeep your eye on price drops and request the lower rate, b/c they will not automatically do that for you.

If the rate drops before you pay off your cruise, you final payment amount will go down. If you are past final payment, then you will receive the credit as an OBC. You still get to keep your same cabin.

However, since the lower rate I spotted was for a Pack and Go, if I choose to get the credit, I have to forfeit my room because Pack and Go rates don't allow you to choose your own room. I figured it was a good enough deal to go for it and take my chances.

So far I've had a total of $160 in price drops, $40 credit before final payment and $120 in OBC!!

We are booked in a 1A cabin with ES rate. Evidently those are sold out, because none are showing. However a "regular" IS cabin is now less than our cabin at the past guest rate.

Can we use the price protection in this situation?

Thanks.

You can submit the ES price form requesting the IS fare; you must be willing to give up your chosen cabin if you're price matching to a (IS) guaranty fare.

We are booked in a 1A cabin with ES rate. Evidently those are sold out, because none are showing. However a "regular" IS cabin is now less than our cabin at the past guest rate.

Can we use the price protection in this situation?

Thanks.

I don't think it will price match but you can upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

We moved from a 1A to 1S and were eventually assigned a room on Empress deck. Since then I have submitted three forms when the price went down $10 each time, the first Nov. 14. All three requests have been ignored--no email confirming or denying and nothing new showing up on billing.

I had the military rate for my upcoming Fascination cruise, and I saw the Pack & Go rate, which was only $15 cheaper, but for my son and I, that as 30 bucks (or a bucket and a half in my currency:p) and we had no real attachment to our OV room. One thing I looked at was there were very few cabins on the Empress deck right under the clubs, so I didn't think the risk of a noisy cabin was high.

After I accepted giving up my room, my cruise documents changed to cabin TBA, and I did see that our cabin was available to book. Then, 1 day later we were assigned back to our original cabin.

I'm now paying less than $40/day for an OV cabin. :)

Oh, and I sail in 8 days!:D

Archived