July vs. Late August

shoegal24

In 2011 we did an Alaskan cruise in mid-July. The weather was PERFECT all week. Didn't rain once and it was mid to high 70s every day.

We're now looking at a cruise at the end of August 2013. Will be be disappointed in the weather? Is it drastically colder in August compared to July?

TIA!

I don't think anyone can predict what kind of weather you will have in late August. However you are sliding into the wet time in coastal Alaska but then again you can have rain anytime; you were just very fortunate on your last cruise.

You will be disappointed with the weather your next trip to Alaska no matter when it is. Very unusual at any time during the summer to have the weather you had for the entire week.

I am afraid you need to lower your expectations re: the weather and just choose the time frame that best suits you.

If late August works better for you this time--adjust your priorities and enjoy the new experience.

For example, we cruised on the Radiance August 31 to Sept 7. I think our weather was better than average for this time of year. In Ketchikan it had rained overnight, but stopped by the time we got off the ship and turned sunny by mid-day. Warm enough to just wear a sweater [for a warm-blooded Virginian]. Since Ketchikan get 12' of rain a year we felt blessed! Saw them catching Salmon on Creek Street.

In Icy Strait it was misty and raw. I think it started in the 40s and get to low 50s, but felt worse. We used our coats on this day. We took a whale watch and that made it feel colder. Juneau was similar to Ketchikan. Rain overnight and clearing.It was sweater weather.

Skagway started out foggy and cleared. It was 50 and VERY WINDY. It started to rain as we left. We used our coats here.

On our land tour we got to see Alaska in the fall. The colors are beautiful and we saw many animals. We got to see snow in Denali and even got to see fabulous views of Mt McKinley. [You know they are great when the train crew ran for their cameras.] We needed coats, hats and gloves for the land tour. LOL On the day we visited Denali it started out at 28 degrees.

The weather never stopped us from doing anything we wanted. We knew to dress in layers. I would remind you to bring gloves and something for your ears. They will get cold.

Not sure about end of August, but beginning of August this year was not very good weather.....made it more adventerous. But had 2 big disappointments because of weather.....our flightseeing tour of Mt. McKinley was canceled 2 days in a row due to the weather and our whale watch tour in Juneau was canceled because of fog. Those were the 2 excursions we were looking forward to the most. Like someone else said though, in Alaska you can not predict the weather. You were very lucky to have the great weather you did for a week in mid July.

We have been to Alaska twice during the second week of August both times.

The first time was a Seattle round trip inside passage cruise. The weather was perfect the whole time except in Ketchikan where it rained all day. But we expected that and were prepared since we knew ahead of time that Ketchikan is in a "rain forest" area. We enjoyed ourselves!

The second time was southbound from Seward to Vancouver. The weather was perfect except for Juneau. It was cold, windy and drizzled until late in the day. We took a whale watching excursion so the weather made us uncomfortable. But, we enjoyed ourselves anyway. And we had a beautiful day in Ketchikan which is unusual!

My wife takes lots of pictures. You might like to see them at the links below.

The weather is unpredictable but you will have a fantastic cruise!

Archived