New to NCL and Very Confused about the Dining Options and Charges

micheleg

oh...one interesting thing I didnt know until too late...any extra tips added to your account go into the staff pool and get split 1704 ways...if you want to reward a particular staffer, hand them cash, dont put it on the recipt

Clay

Micheleg

I too was a little concerned with my first Freestyle experience after my wonderful Alaska cruise on X's summit....but had a great time and discovered the many benefits of NCL....if you want to hear my thoughts, read the reviews of NCL Sun..i.ts on their and basically compares the X experience and NCL.

I am jealous of a suite AND 14 days!

Clay

Hi Clay,

Thanks for the info! Good to hear this from someone who's been on Celebrity. I will check out the review on the Sun vs. X.

Don't be jealous. After we did our first 11 day cruise on the Summit, we knew there was no going back to a 7 dayer. And now that we just did our first 14 dayer on the Infinity going through the Panama Canal, we knew we'd be hardpressed to do anything less than 2 weeks (except that we were sick of eating by day 12). ;)

Meanwhile, if you check out the prices of the sailing on the Jewel, you'll see that anyone could probably afford the mini-suite and even some of the higher suites. We got the Romance Suite. The pricing of Transatlantic cruises typically are much lower due to the amount of sea days v. days in port, but this one was great for us as we don't even need round trip air.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend! God Bless America! :)

Michele

When they seat you do they seat at a table where people have already started eating- or is everyone starting at the sametime?

thanks

chris

We were seated at our own table each time without requesting this.

Chris,

If you do wish to share a table (they usually ask if you do), you don't have to worry about someone being "in the middle of their dinner".

On our last trip on the Dawn, we started a table for 6. We actually sat for several minutes waiting for tablemates, but in the end, we were pleasantly surprised that it did only take a few mins. and the table was full.

We all ordered and ate together, just as if we were "tablemates" for the night.

That's what we like about freestyle - dine alone at a nice table (tables for 2 on "traditional" ships are often the worse positioned and might not have the incredible window views that you find on NCL) - or if you're in the mood to chat, do a share.:)

20 % of what did you tip..:confused:

20% of the actual charge (ie: $15-$20)

or 20% of what you believe the meal would cost in a speciality restaurant at home..

We also dine late..If we have dinner at 7:30 or 8 will we miss the shows?..Does anyone know if the Crown has all of the speciality restaurants?

We're booked on the "Crown" in Nov. to Santiago..

Thanks..Betty

We tipped what the actual charge of the restaurant was. I didn't know if the $10 a day covered them or not so just to be safe.....

Ally

:)

Hi Clay,

Thanks for the info! Good to hear this from someone who's been on Celebrity. I will check out the review on the Sun vs. X.

Don't be jealous. After we did our first 11 day cruise on the Summit, we knew there was no going back to a 7 dayer. And now that we just did our first 14 dayer on the Infinity going through the Panama Canal, we knew we'd be hardpressed to do anything less than 2 weeks (except that we were sick of eating by day 12). ;)

Meanwhile, if you check out the prices of the sailing on the Jewel, you'll see that anyone could probably afford the mini-suite and even some of the higher suites. We got the Romance Suite. The pricing of Transatlantic cruises typically are much lower due to the amount of sea days v. days in port, but this one was great for us as we don't even need round trip air.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend! God Bless America! :)

Michele

I'm checking out this cruise right now! You made it way too tempting!

Even though I hate to fly!

We just booked our cruise for May 2006. This will be our 1st time with NCL and freestyle dining. We are going with a large group (14 adults and 18 kids) how do we do dinner? Can we all show up at the same time and get a few tables close together? Can we do a table of all adults and one or two with just kids? Yikess!!!! will they freak out to see 18 kids ages 5-13 coming (lol). Should we be at the dinning room right at 5:30?

We just booked our cruise for May 2006. This will be our 1st time with NCL and freestyle dining. We are going with a large group (14 adults and 18 kids) how do we do dinner? Can we all show up at the same time and get a few tables close together? Can we do a table of all adults and one or two with just kids? Yikess!!!! will they freak out to see 18 kids ages 5-13 coming (lol). Should we be at the dinning room right at 5:30?

Wow...sounds like great fun!

What ship? I can only help with the Dawn.

Are any of you in a suite?

The good news - people can eat when they get there - trying to get everyone to the sameplace at the same time will be a nightmare. You could plan a couple of giant group dinners. You can make a reservation at the main dining room.

You still have the option of eating in more managable sized subgroups when you want. Some early some late. Some in the Buffet some in a specialty restaurant.

Good Luck

I'm checking out this cruise right now! You made it way too tempting!

Even though I hate to fly!

My BF hates flying as well...but was a trooper all the way from Miami to San Diego when we just took our Panama Canal cruise in April. I figure if the vacation is worth it, then there are some things you just have to deal with in order to enjoy the outcome. LOL...like this Transatlantic...I won't be able to take my obligitory 4 suitcases (yes...I like to have options), since we're flying back one-way from Barcelona. For the Panama Canal cruise, we bought an extra seat so "I" could bring more luggage! ;) But..at least on NCL I won't have to schlep all of the fomal attire like I have to on Celebrity. That is a plus!

Shoreguy,

Do you know if you have a suite, can you order room butler service from the specialty restauraunts and do they still charge you the per person covercharge.

thanks,

We had a little dinner party in our AC Suite on the Sun and everyone ordered from a different restaurant. They did charge the normal fee for each restaurant, but it was fun to order an appetizer from one place, desert from another, as long as someone else was ordering from there.

Ally

Now I'm hungry!

We had a little dinner party in our AC Suite on the Sun and everyone ordered from a different restaurant. They did charge the normal fee for each restaurant, but it was fun to order an appetizer from one place, desert from another, as long as someone else was ordering from there.

Ally

Now I'm hungry!

Thank you :D I order dinner from the Bistro on the Sun as well - normal specialty charges applied.

We are all so excited:) We have some 1st time cruisers, some 1st time with NCL and 1 who has sailed NCL once before. We will be on the Spirit out of NY.:D Will they let the kids have their own tables if we sit at a table next to them? Can we make a reservation at one of the regular dining rooms or only at the specialty ones? Do the specialty restaurants charge the same for kids as they do for adults? Do the have kids menus? How large of a table can we have in any of the restaurants?

You all are making me Hungry! :(

Usually eat our dinner late but, no lunch today as had a big late Sunday breakfast..Our cruising friends just called & invited us to go for "Lupper" (lunch & supper)...They were probably reading this thread too! LOL

So on our way! :)

Michel

I am jealous and therefore tried to find this cruise to see just how cheap it is...I can't even find it listed....what am I doing wrong?

Clay

Hi Clay,

It's not on the regular discounted cruise websites as of yet. It is however on the Cruises Only page and on the NCL website. If you do a search on either one, do it for 4/30/06 and Transatlantic. I didn't think I could post the links due to the Cruise Critic rules. The itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - Miami

Day 2 - At Sea

Day 3 - At Sea

Day 4 - At Sea

Day 5 - At Sea

Day 6 - At Sea

Day 7 - Ponta Delgada, Azores 10AM to 6PM

Day 8 - At Sea

Day 9 - Funchal, Madeira 7AM to 12:30PM

Day 10 - At Sea

Day 11 - At Sea

Day 12 - Civitavecchia (Rome) 10AM to 8PM

Day 13 - Livorno (Florence & Pisa) 7AM to 7 PM

Day 14 - Villefranche, France 7AM to 3PM

Day 15 - Barcelona 5 AM

Hope this helps!

Michele :)

M

Thanks for the link...found it. I agree that the prices for the suites are more affordable than most...but don't ya think that the prices might come down...most of the repositioning cruises seem to settle in between 50-80 bucks a day for an inside...and this one is still above a hundred. I tried to do an X last year...left from San Juan, a couple of island then Portugal and ended in London....15 or 16 days for 799...unfortunately couldnt get the air to work out. Anyway, will keep my eye on this one!

Clay

Archived