Windows in Riviera 'C' cabins

JAKUEHNLE

I'll have a better report in a few weeks, after we return from our December Riviera cruise in 7077 (right in the middle of the Category C Oceani View cabins), but I know they don't open. I expect they will have a fabulous view because they are not obstructed by a balcony railing or the balcony partitions.

That's the photo I was looking for! I thought I remembered that Riviera does not have the railings that Marina has over the Ocean View windows.

Here's a photo of Marina sent to me by another CC'er...Note the railings, which are absent in the photo of Riviera.

144628.jpg

If I knew how to slip a photo into this post you would see the railing as I am sitting on cabin sofa. I never gave the railing a thought. At first I was disappointed with orange life boats being right under window, but you tend to forget about them. There was only one time when all life boats were lowered for tendering and that means crew are on the boat right in front of your window. After that particular day the one in front of our window was never lowered again. We did have a banging/clanging noise that would happen periodically during the night sailing that we felt was coming from the life boats or right underneath our cabin. Not our imagination b/c our neighbors heard the same thing. We complained and wine gift was sent to our cabin. We also spoke to a crew member who told us the noise had been discussed at a meeting and on the cruise after ours a crew member was going to sleep in one of the C cabins to try and discern the noise. We use ear plugs and even without them it would not keep you awake all night, but it was there. We don't care about a verandah and only wish there were more C cabins on the O-ships.

That's the photo I was looking for! I thought I remembered that Riviera does not have the railings that Marina has over the Ocean View windows.

144628.jpg

Interesting

After a lot of thought we have given up on OC and OW due to Joys

stomach .

I came to the conclusion for the first 2 trips we will try and get

7062/7064 or 7065/7067

Due to being low, in the middle and connecting

Cost is absolutely outrageous for 2 but allowing for previous

moaning about the Suites that are up high and are either end .

What else can we do .:(

During one of the refits which took place nearer to the end of the QE2's career, four of the first class cabins on TWO DECK were reworked into the Aquitania and Carinthia Suites:

These were not repeated in the current Queens, so I can only assume they were not booked as well as had been hoped.

Has Joy tried Bonine?

Jim

She has had a go at everything. The problem is not so much vomiting but she

has Esophageal Varices and that requires risk management. :eek:

In regards to Suites on Cunard . They do have on Elizabeth and Victoria in the

middle of these Ships 4 Penthouse Suites (Q3) on decks 4,5,6,8 (ie16) and

2 Master Suites (Q2) on deck 7 (double Penthouse ) .There are 4 Grande Suites(Q1)

on 6 and 7 at the Stern

Same old story in a way.

Regards

Steve

Cunard does have other Suites which are located mid-ship, but none that are as low in the hull, as the two that I described previously.

Passengers seem to want the views and the vantage point more than they worry about motion. I suppose that stabilizers have gone a long way to making that true.

My heart goes out to Joy, those Esophageal Varices are a serious business.

Cunard does have other Suites which are located mid-ship, but none that are as low in the hull, as the two that I described previously.

Passengers seem to want the views and the vantage point more than they worry about motion. I suppose that stabilizers have gone a long way to making that true.

My heart goes out to Joy, those Esophageal Varices are a serious business.

Absolutly. But Day Surgery every few months keeps her on top of the problem.

In regards to Suites in the middle I suppose the 4 Deck is better than nothing . And they are designed for big seas.

But its the formal stuff that is a worry. :eek:

Still they have quite a sensible Itinery up the Norwegan Coast . :)

Along with an Oceania Baltic Cruise would be next on our list . . :D

I'm curious what the purpose was for the railings on the "C" rooms on Marina -- esthetics? Will they be removed in drydock to make a clean unobstructed view as on Riviera?

That depends on who you talk to...

170354.jpg Some say that the design is based on the cabins of a luxury cruise line which added "Juliet Balconies" to former Oceanview rooms about ten years ago.

130706.jpg Others say that without the guard there, and that HUGE Window, that some people might experience vertigo.

6.8+no+more+fear+heights.JPG Of course, that sort of thing does not bother some people.

Archived