Vegan and Gluten Free and other allergies on the Allure?

We are considering going on the Allure this summer, but I am concerned that we will not be able to eat anything! My daughter is allergic to shellfish and tree nuts, and I am gluten-free and vegan. I've heard Disney cruises are fantastic for those with special dietary needs, but how is the Allure?

We are considering going on the Allure this summer, but I am concerned that we will not be able to eat anything! My daughter is allergic to shellfish and tree nuts, and I am gluten-free and vegan. I've heard Disney cruises are fantastic for those with special dietary needs, but how is the Allure?

We are just off Allure and I am vegetarian. I enjoyed the food very much, but wish they had a few more choices. I paid close attention to the menu everyday because we will be sailing with my Son & his wife soon and he is vegan. I thought the menu provided very little for vegans. I did see items that were gluten-free. I think if you make RCI aware of your special diet & your daughters dietary allergies, they will be able to accomodate you.

Johnny Rockets offered a vege burger for lunch and soy "sausage" for breakfast, but I can't be certain they were truly vegan.

The menus at the main dining room are now marked as to which items are gluten-free, dairy free, vegan, etc.

My experience in the past has been that Royal has been very responsive to passengers with special dietary requirements and if you ask your waiter they can usually provide the necessary information.

I would contact RCI before your cruise to make them aware of your dietary needs. Don't rely on the waiter each evening to make the chefs aware.

You may also want to try specialty restaurants on Allure, there are so many good ones. Most post their menu, so you can decide before if it will work for you. When when I made the reservation on the phone at 150 Central Park, I told them I was vegetarian because they have a set menu. I asked if it could be adapted and they said yes, no problem. When we arrived, I reminded our server and he said it was a problem, that they don't just have extra food laying around in the kitchen to substitute. I offered to leave and he said he would check with the chef. He came back and said there were only 2 dishes that contained meat and it was an easy substitute.

Again, I am sure It won't be a problem if you contact prior to sailing. I thought the food taste & quality vastly improved with their new menu.

We just returned from a November 4th cruise on the Allure. My wife is gluten sensitive, fortunately not celiac, but does react to gluten.

We tried contacting RCI before the cruise to advise them of her special dietary needs. Their response was for us to inform the dining room staff once upon the ship.

We had a few hits and misses. Although there are menu items marked gluten free, be careful, some are not. For example, the MDR in the first night had a salmon dish identified to be gluten free, yet when it was served, it came with a bread crumb crust. Our waiter, however, did his best, in the future to ensure and advise as to dishes that were truly GF. A nice touch was that GF bread was available to supplement each meal.

We had a much better experience with GF in the specialty restaurants. We booked the chef's table package that included the Chef's table (a special 6 course tasting menu paired with wines for only 16 guests per seating), Chops and 150 Central Park. Each of these venues called us the day of the dinner to inquire and confirm about my wife's dietary needs. At the dining venue, the maitre'd also confirmed the GF requirement, as did the waiter. This was an example of the exemplary service we received on board.

By the way, the specialty restaurants go out of the way to ensure a great alternative is served GF. As you might expect, the MDR simply cannot compete the same way. After all, they are an assembly preparing meals for nearly 5000 guests. Special orders are not nearly as creative or tasty as the specialty restaurants, particularly for desserts. My wife was only able to have creme brulee, ice cream or an occasional mousse that was on the menu.

We just returned from a November 4th cruise on the Allure. My wife is gluten sensitive, fortunately not celiac, but does react to gluten.

We tried contacting RCI before the cruise to advise them of her special dietary needs. Their response was for us to inform the dining room staff once upon the ship.

We had a few hits and misses. Although there are menu items marked gluten free, be careful, some are not. For example, the MDR in the first night had a salmon dish identified to be gluten free, yet when it was served, it came with a bread crumb crust. Our waiter, however, did his best, in the future to ensure and advise as to dishes that were truly GF. A nice touch was that GF bread was available to supplement each meal.

We had a much better experience with GF in the specialty restaurants. We booked the chef's table package that included the Chef's table (a special 6 course tasting menu paired with wines for only 16 guests per seating), Chops and 150 Central Park. Each of these venues called us the day of the dinner to inquire and confirm about my wife's dietary needs. At the dining venue, the maitre'd also confirmed the GF requirement, as did the waiter. This was an example of the exemplary service we received on board.

By the way, the specialty restaurants go out of the way to ensure a great alternative is served GF. As you might expect, the MDR simply cannot compete the same way. After all, they are an assembly preparing meals for nearly 5000 guests. Special orders are not nearly as creative or tasty as the specialty restaurants, particularly for desserts. My wife was only able to have creme brulee, ice cream or an occasional mousse that was on the menu.

You have made me VERY happy. I have celiacs and are on the allure in Feb. We are planning on just specialty restaurants, but I was worried they could not accomodate GF esp Chef's Table. Thanks for the post, it puts my mind at ease.

Becky

Archived