Internet speed/computer gaming

foto451

I am going on a cruise this saturday on the 'Epic'

to the Eastern Caribbeans - alone.

My very first cruise. Am I ready or what?!!!!! Yeeeeehaaaa.....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

Anyway,

if it is a success I plan to go to Hawaii on the 'Pride of America' at some time, and planning to taking my son along, who is 13.

He is a devoted computer addict - which is the point of making this thread.

By paying US$ 250 while on the 'Epic' I can get a US$ 100 voucher to spend on the Epic if I book another cruise with NCL.

My son and I have been to London three times which he liked a lot.

Landing at London City Airport is simply unique. Watch my videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWXJYHEbo5U&feature=share&list=UUZ6rpeYOWFyw8gm3t8HO3jQ

The arrangement between us was that we went alternatively from a sightseeing place, and then to a cafe with wifi (where he plays games online with his iPad - typically in a Starbucks - while I looked at the female staff :D) A beautiful arrangement...

So, can he get to play his online games at sea? I have heard that internet connections on ships are near to non-existant.

And is the game arcade room on the ship any good?

Klaus

I am going on a cruise this saturday on the 'Epic'

to the Eastern Caribbeans - alone.

My very first cruise. Am I ready or what?!!!!! Yeeeeehaaaa.....http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/cool.gif

Anyway,

if it is a success I plan to go to Hawaii on the 'Pride of America' at some time, and planning to taking my son along, who is 13.

He is a devoted computer addict - which is the point of making this thread.

By paying US$ 250 while on the 'Epic' I can get a US$ 100 voucher to spend on the Epic if I book another cruise with NCL.

My son and I have been to London three times which he liked a lot.

Landing at London City Airport is simply unique. Watch my videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWXJYHEbo5U&feature=share&list=UUZ6rpeYOWFyw8gm3t8HO3jQ

The arrangement between us was that we went alternatively from a sightseeing place, and then to a cafe with wifi (where he plays games online with his iPad - typically in a Starbucks - while I looked at the female staff :D) A beautiful arrangement...

So, can he get to play his online games at sea? I have heard that internet connections on ships are near to non-existant.

And is the game arcade room on the ship any good?

Klaus

My 14-year-old loves his video games. That said, he knows that he will not get to do any gaming except on his phone when in airplane mode. The connection speeds are exactly as you said - slow and EXPENSIVE. Seventy-five cents a minute unless you purchase a package and even then, the price goes down to only like 56 cents a minute.

You can forget gaming on the ship - it's simply too slow.

We'll be right there with you on the ship on Saturday. Have you visited the Roll Call area yet?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1464837

We're meeting in the Bliss lounge on Sunday at 11am and several people are getting together at the pool bar at sailaway.

I'm a gamer. No you will not be able to play online. It's almost dialup speed. Maybe even worse if the seas are a bit rough. Tell your son he will die several lag deaths every 10 minutes if he tries to play. Latency is through the roof.

Furthermore certain ports(computer term. not a place like St. Thomas) services or IP addresses are blocked to maintain bandwidth. I had some extra time as we were crossing the Atlantic back in october. I clicked on a video on a news site and the message came up stating video streaming blocked by provider popped up.

I am an avid computer gamer and online shopper. The thing I like most about cruises, is that I get a mental break from being online all the time. I am on a computer up to 16 hours a day. At first I thought I would hate it and be bored to death, but I could finally forget about work and my checking sales and checking my game and checking news and checking Facebook and checking email and checking, checking, checking all the time. I was finally able to check out of the online world for a week. I'm a bit young by cruising standards (thirty-something). If he has to play, download some offline games on the iPad, it will suffice when he gets desperate :) Also, you can usually find wifi in port to get a quick fix. :D

Thank you everybody for those thoughtful answers. I must look for ways to activate him on board in real life, when I go on the 'Epic'. I mean to get ideas and preparing him and making 'propaganda' as it were.

Guindalf: Yes I am going to the meet 'n greet as well. As I am a camera geek I am the one filming and taking pictures. Just listen for the sound of constant clicking ;).

Klaus

Archived