Still No Cabin Assignment

BassettMom

This was our first time ever doing a Guarantee instead of a specific stateroom. But Hey, what the heck, I like adventures:)

So hubby and I booked the lowest category that we would be happy in an SC, praying for an upgrade to one of our Penthouse Suites SC Aft Wrap Around. I even swore to hubby that if the Penthouse was offered to us again, this time I would not turn it down:)

So, here it is 10 days before our cruise and we received our stateroom right about the same timeline as all our more experienced and long time HAL cruisers stated, "10 days out from the cruise is about when you may receive the upgrade."

OK Y'all 2 hours ago Stateroom was not yet assigned... But, just went and checked again and while I did not get the Penthouse, we were upgraded to SA 7085. Hey, I can live with that, happily!!!:)

Joanie

This was our first time ever doing a Guarantee instead of a specific stateroom. But Hey, what the heck, I like adventures:)

So hubby and I booked the lowest category that we would be happy in an SC, praying for an upgrade to one of our Penthouse Suites SC Aft Wrap Around. I even swore to hubby that if the Penthouse was offered to us again, this time I would not turn it down:)

So, here it is 10 days before our cruise and we received our stateroom right about the same timeline as all our more experienced and long time HAL cruisers stated, "10 days out from the cruise is about when you may receive the upgrade."

OK Y'all 2 hours ago Stateroom was not yet assigned... But, just went and checked again and while I did not get the Penthouse, we were upgraded to SA 7085. Hey, I can live with that, happily!!!:)

Joanie

That is totally awesome. And I think your smiles need to be :D instead of just a smile. Have a great time.

As has been discussed here many times, the time line for issuing GTY cabins can be anywhere from 21 days out to dockside, with 10-20 days being the common window.

How do they assign cabins at dockside? Do you have to carry your luggage all the way around until you reach one of the agents? I have never booked a guarantted, so I have no idea how they would do that.

How do they assign cabins at dockside? Do you have to carry your luggage all the way around until you reach one of the agents? I have never booked a guarantted, so I have no idea how they would do that.

Our 1st cruise with Hal was assigned dockside. When you check in, they take your luggage and tell you at that time what your cabin # is and will deliver your luggage their for you:). At least that was our experiance:)

The porter's have the manifest at the dock and will put the tags on. Just verify what they tell you when you go to checkin to make sure your luggage ends up at the right place. Oh, and tip them a couple dollars a bag, they will appreciate it.

I can see that a lot of people book guarantee. This will be our 19th cruise, 1st on HAL. We always booked an assigned cabin.

This year we want to book a last minute cruise. When we looked at Dec.23 sailing there are no bacony left but guarantee.

I keep reading about the upsell that is offered sometimes . I understand that if we book a specific category we'll have to live with the assigned cabin no matter the location.

So how bad can it be really?:D

Do they ever upgrade for example from a verandah category to a superior suite category? Or usually just within the same type of cabin?

Also if one is to call and try Bargen an upsell, would you do this before or after you are assigned your cabin?

Cheers

Steve

Do they ever upgrade for example from a verandah category to a superior suite category? Or usually just within the same type of cabin?

Yes, I saw a sz gty for an amount I was willing to pay and basically rebought a sz instead of VH. HAL then upgraded it a catagory at the same time from sz to sc which is a superior suite to a deluxe. So they did upgrade it a full category. It isn't usual though, it was my first. I happened to buy at a time the computer was giving a green light.

Also if one is to call and try Bargen an upsell, would you do this before or after you are assigned your cabin?

Cheers

Steve

Mine happened when I was in a GTY and I didn't negotiate, I just asked for the posted new fare.

I'm up to checking three times today. And now the weekend is coming, so I should probably back off and wait till Monday to check <sigh>. Monday will be 10 days out, so that should be the "magic" day--keeping my fingers crossed since I'm not sure I can last much longer (LOL).

For those who didn't receive a cabin until showing up at the port, I don't know how you could stand it :eek:.

It was worth it. I went from a balcony GTY to a VA which was just fine with me. But the decks were not price differentiated back then.

The only time I don't book GTY is if I do a solo. Only because I book inside cabins when the DW can't go and I would prefer to be high on the ship. But that has only been twice.

I'm up to checking three times today. And now the weekend is coming, so I should probably back off and wait till Monday to check <sigh>. Monday will be 10 days out, so that should be the "magic" day--keeping my fingers crossed since I'm not sure I can last much longer (LOL).

I would still keep checking, weekend or not. If the assignments are done by a computer, they do not get any time off! Maybe you will get your surprise before that magical 10th day.

For what it is worth, my cabin has remained the same, no offers, no surprises.

Even though it's the weekend, I checked--no cabin assignment on Saturday.

Checked again this morning--no cabin assignment. Told myself that even if we are are the "magical" 10 day period, it's the weekend so I really shouldn't be checking...stop obsessing ;) and just wait until Monday. Did I listen to myself--no, of course not :D.

Well, just checked again and, oh my goodness! I have a cabin!! Booked an MM and received a K category. Would have been happy with any cabin, but really happy with the little bit of an upgrade and like the location.

Yay, now I can stop checking three times a day and relax. Ok, I won't really be relaxing since I'm now going to start obsessing about what I should pack, but hey, I have a cabin!!!

(hmmm, if I take those pants, I could take that shirt...no wait, maybe I should take this shirt...then I could take these pants...but then I'd have to take the shoes that goes with those, so maybe instead I should just........mumbling to herself, BassettMom goes off to stare at her closet and her suitcases.....):D

We leave in 13 days - still no assignment on our SY guarantee. So I'm thinking that maybe on Wednesday we'll get it - hope we get the type of upgrade you do - 2 cat's up and we'd be in an SC would LOVE THAT!

Can I ask what time you received it today? I've heard it's normally between 4-5 p.m. pacific time. Does that sound like what happened for you?

Again, CONGRATS Have an AWESOME cruise!

ready everyones comments, it really does seem that they make you wait right up untill around the 10 day mark!?

I found on cunard/RCCL that they allocated rooms a lot earlier.

whats everyone thought on chances of upgrades if the cruise really isnt selling well at all?

steve

Booked a guarantee cabin on my Panama Canal cruise, leaving in 15 days, and still no cabin assigned. I booked an inside MM category--I'd rather book more cruises than spend a lot on just one cruise (and I'm happy with insides since I'm not claustrophobic and don't spend much time in the cabin).

Anyway, I used to check every week for a cabin assignment, then a couple of weeks ago, started checking almost every day. Now I find myself starting to check twice a day. My last cruise on HAL, I didn't get a cabin until 10 days before, so I tell myself to be patient, but the anticipation is building.

Booking a guarantee is a lot like Christmas. I feel like a kid waiting to find out what Santa is bringing me. I know what I asked Santa for and will be happy to get what I asked for (but there's always the possibility of getting more :D).

I actually like the anticipation (like "shaking" that present under the tree and wondering what's inside).

Anyone else waiting for cabin assignments feel this way? (Or am I crazy?) :D

Yes, we are still waiting for our cabin assignment. It should be soon. Hope you get what you want.

Sorry Hugger, mine is the first I have ever gotten that jumped to a whole other catagory. You still are going to have a nice, spacious cabin. I sincerely hope and wish for you to have a wonderful cruise. And keep trying in the future, I sure didn't expect it, sometimes they just happen.

So where did you end up exactly?