Carnival Website - Change in "lowest" price (was 4A, now 1A)?

GuitarPlayer

Is it just me, or has this recently started on the Carnival website?

It seems to me you used to be able to do a search, find the lowest rate you were eligible for, and that rate was typically for a cat 4A.

Nowadays, when I do a search and find the lowest rate, it is for a cat 1A, and to get to a minimum 4A, one has to pay and additional upcharge ($2 - $20 per day - at least that is the range I have noticed).

Anyone else notice this, or am I way off my rocker (again)?

GP

Is it just me, or has this recently started on the Carnival website?

It seems to me you used to be able to do a search, find the lowest rate you were eligible for, and that rate was typically for a cat 4A.

Nowadays, when I do a search and find the lowest rate, it is for a cat 1A, and to get to a minimum 4A, one has to pay and additional upcharge ($2 - $20 per day - at least that is the range I have noticed).

Anyone else notice this, or am I way off my rocker (again)?

GP

For the last month or so they've been doing this, off and on, for several cruises I've been watching - it seems that it isn't being done for all cruises. Maybe this is to "compete" with TA's who often advertise the 1A fares? ken

I agree with SATXLady. I'd bet that the 1A's are often snapped up by singles, and those who don't mind, or even prefer upper/lower accomidations. Obviously, if they aren't available, they aren't offered. On the other hand, when there are 1A vacancies, that price is offered, because it's LOWER!

"SKY"

There are 1As on every ship, but very limited in supply. So they will pop up when they are available. Sometimes people book a 1A early as it's always the cheapest, then when price drops come along, will quickly upgrade out and that leaves one open. I believe I started with a 1A on my 12/3 Ecstasy sailing but have upgraded a couple of times since then for no charge duje to price drops.

I don't know....I guess it's a mystery. 4A is a "regular" inside cabin, which allows the beds to be made into a king, and the 1A is normally an upper and lower. If I were marketing the cabins, and there were 1A's available, that's the price I'd advertise, for sure! Probably 98% of people would upgrade to a 4A, or balcony, but that 1A price would look lots better in an ad! :cool:

"SKY"

I had noticed this as well. It used to be that they advertised 4A prices and often ... if you did a fake booking and clicked on an interior you would then see a screen that showed all the interiors available. If there were 1A or porthole cabins avaiable those shoes as a negative amount per person per day. You could click on them and then see just what the lower price would be for those rooms.

Now, when you click on the button to book an interior it shows the 1A price and anything that can be made into a king bed has a per person per day upcharge.

I'll be spending a week in a bunkbed because I didn't realize this change had taken place when I booked our upcoming cruise.

I'm disappointed in Carnival for doing this. It feels a bit like bait and switch when they offer it this way especially after all the years that it has been listed otherwise.

Just this summer I showed a friend that was debating between booking themselves through Carnival or going through a TA. I showed them that the TA's lowest price advertised while it looked cheaper was a room with bunk beds and bragged that Carnival didn't lure you in with that price. Now they've changed their sales tactics ... I hope it gets them the sales they want.

As for me ... it will make me do even more research before the next trip I book with them.

I had noticed this as well. It used to be that they advertised 4A prices and often ... if you did a fake booking and clicked on an interior you would then see a screen that showed all the interiors available. If there were 1A or porthole cabins avaiable those shoes as a negative amount per person per day. You could click on them and then see just what the lower price would be for those rooms.

Now, when you click on the button to book an interior it shows the 1A price and anything that can be made into a king bed has a per person per day upcharge.

I'll be spending a week in a bunkbed because I didn't realize this change had taken place when I booked our upcoming cruise.

I'm disappointed in Carnival for doing this. It feels a bit like bait and switch when they offer it this way especially after all the years that it has been listed otherwise.

Just this summer I showed a friend that was debating between booking themselves through Carnival or going through a TA. I showed them that the TA's lowest price advertised while it looked cheaper was a room with bunk beds and bragged that Carnival didn't lure you in with that price. Now they've changed their sales tactics ... I hope it gets them the sales they want.

As for me ... it will make me do even more research before the next trip I book with them.

LittleJeanne:

You nailed my thoughts exactly (well, except for the spending time in a bunk bed because of it) :( including the part about it not being because of 1A availability...to me those also showed as negative amounts off the 4A "lowest" price when you went to choose you cabin.

Thanks for the responses folks.

GP

Regarding the 1A that you inadvertently booked......1) does it have an upper/lower or does it have a lower with sofa bed? 2) does the cabin have 2 portholes? Depending upon which ship you're booked on the 1A cabin can be configured many different ways. On a few of the older ships, there are a few 1A cabins that have 2 large picture windows.

Regarding the 1A that you inadvertently booked......1) does it have an upper/lower or does it have a lower with sofa bed? 2) does the cabin have 2 portholes? Depending upon which ship you're booked on the 1A cabin can be configured many different ways. On a few of the older ships, there are a few 1A cabins that have 2 large picture windows.

Where are these 1A's with picture windows? Or are you speaking of those fake lit up windows?

I've always thought a 1A was the cheapest rate advertised, mostly picked up by solo cruisers, but a 4A is the next step up.

When I posted that I was in a worried state. We had allready booked the cruise and when i got ready to print out some of our paperwork I noticed that it said we had booked a "1a upper/lower". We've booked inside guarantees before and had it show as a 4A until we got our room assignment. But ... I'm a happy camper or should I say cruiser ... i just got my room assignment and I don't have to sleep on a bunk bed. We were upgraded to a 4D.

Where are these 1A's with picture windows? Or are you speaking of those fake lit up windows?

I've always thought a 1A was the cheapest rate advertised, mostly picked up by solo cruisers, but a 4A is the next step up.

There are 3 different ships that have a pair of unique 1A cabins that savy cruisers know about and they are very popular. On the Triumph and the Victory, they are cabins 2444 & 2445 and on the Destiny they are cabins 2334 & 2335. They are located in the aft section on the main deck. The cabin is situated sideways, they have 2 twin beds in them and 2 picture windows along the wall, real windows, not fake ones. You can do a search on CC about these cabins if you do not trust me.

Not all 1A's consist of an upper/lower configuration as well. On our upcoming Breeze cruise, we're in a 1A that consists of a lower and a sofa bed and has 2 portholes. We get natural light as a bonus and a cheaper price to use towards gratuities and no upper to have to climb into.

There are 3 different ships that have a pair of unique 1A cabins that savy cruisers know about and they are very popular. On the Triumph and the Victory, they are cabins 2444 & 2445 and on the Destiny they are cabins 2334 & 2335. They are located in the aft section on the main deck. The cabin is situated sideways, they have 2 twin beds in them and 2 picture windows along the wall, real windows, not fake ones. You can do a search on CC about these cabins if you do not trust me.

I think 2334/5 on Destiny are upper/lower with a sofa and two picture windows. I'm booked in one next month.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559630193PHMJzS

Not all 1A's consist of an upper/lower configuration as well. On our upcoming Breeze cruise, we're in a 1A that consists of a lower and a sofa bed and has 2 portholes. We get natural light as a bonus and a cheaper price to use towards gratuities and no upper to have to climb into.

Triumph, Victory, & Destiny/Sunshine have these 1A rooms with 2 picture windows. However, they do not have 2 regular twin beds in them. They have 1 regular twin bed plus an upper bunk. We had 2444 on Triumph. Very nice room for the price, if you're okay with the upper bunk for a 2nd person. Even with the 1As that use a sofa bed for the 2nd person instead of an upper, you cannot put the beds together. The sofa bed is bit lower, and it just wouldn't work.

Triumph 2444:

P1020900.jpg

P1020902.jpg

P1020901.jpg

I definitely agree with you. One note: the porthole cabins (category PT) are the same price as a 4A. But yes, I see it as bait & switch. Most cruisers do not want the 1A sleeping arrangement, so to put that up as the advertised price is somewhat deceptive. The typical cruiser sees that price, only to find out that what they actually need is a higher, and sometimes much higher price. Or, they don't figure it out until they get on the ship. The groom carries the bride into their stateroom on the first day to find bunk beds.:eek: People like me who actually enjoy the 1As would like to keep it the old way, so that people who don't want them won't accidentally take them away from us.

Archived