Our experience in Barbados

Iheartcruisin'

We will be in Barbados in about three weeks and have enjoyed everyone's post concerning the Island. We like to walk around town on our own and since many of you walked from the ship to the Boat Yard, it appears the town is safe and you felt comfortable walking there. Is this a fair assumption?

Thank you,

Yancy,

We've been there once before and did a pub crawl in the afternoon (still one of the best excursions ever), which gave us the morning free. We spent it walking all over town and felt completely safe no matter how far away we wandered from the main drag. In fact, I don't think we ever even gave it a second thought. Can't wait to go back.

Carib beach bar is not too far from the "famous" Rockley Beach.

They actually share the same stretch of beach.

That's good to know

except I'm trying to figure out how I walk around Cacrabank Point that separates Rockley Bay/Beach and Worthing Beach

To Bajan Keith-

Which beach do you prefer? Carlisle/Boatyard or Rockley?

Honestly I don't have a preference when it comes to beaches on the island. Alot of cruisers prefer boatyard because its close to the port and they have the water toys.

Still others prefer Rockley as that is a beautiful stretch of beach.

Carlisle is pretty much adjacent to boat yard.

You cannot go wrong with any of these beaches, it all boils down to personal preference.:)

We're there the week of March 9th...will have to see which day exactly.

And, yep, that's the right group. I forgot that it was in April. This upcoming cruise is with many of the same folks: Lita and Arn; aajacques (April and Bobby); capnC (Steve).

Thanks for your help, Keith! Now I just have to share your comments with the rest of the group...and tell them the advice came from you!

No problem at all. Glad I could help:)

April is on my FB (as well as Lita and Arn) and I remember capnc from the AOS Roll Call.

Happy New Year to you and the group.

We will be in Barbados in about three weeks and have enjoyed everyone's post concerning the Island. We like to walk around town on our own and since many of you walked from the ship to the Boat Yard, it appears the town is safe and you felt comfortable walking there. Is this a fair assumption?

Thank you,

What 2tall said....:)

Our second visit to Barbados will be in March 2013. The first time we did some kind of water tour and loved it. This time we'd like to see the caves and possibly some beach time. Is it possible to take a cab to the caves and then get back to the boatyard, and have enough time on the beach to make it worthwhile?

Our second visit to Barbados will be in March 2013. The first time we did some kind of water tour and loved it. This time we'd like to see the caves and possibly some beach time. Is it possible to take a cab to the caves and then get back to the boatyard, and have enough time on the beach to make it worthwhile?

Depending on how much time you have in port this maybe a tricky proposition.

The caves are a bit off the beaten path and depending on the time of day/day of the week traffic could be a problem. This could cut into your beach time significantly.

Depending on how much time you have in port this maybe a tricky proposition.

The caves are a bit off the beaten path and depending on the time of day/day of the week traffic could be a problem. This could cut into your beach time significantly.

Thanks Keith. I think we may just opt for the beach. Caves are so "underground".

Joe

Do you have (six) hours?

If so, it can be easily done.

Get off the ship first thing and find a taxi.

You may be the first people to the Caves. With transit and tour it will take a few hours up and back. Budget three (3) to be safe.

Have the driver drop you off at any beach between Holetown and points south to Deep Water Harbour. You'll only be 15-30 minutes from the ship at any beach from Holetown south. Taxis are plentiful.

You should be on the beach by 1pm and have two to three hours of beach time.

Food is abundant, too, not to worry.

Please don't miss the Caves. They are one of our best attractions. :)

harrisons2.jpg

Thanks Keith. I think we may just opt for the beach. Caves are so "underground".

Joe

I don't want to deter you from your beach day but the caves are indeed beautiful and if you can swing it I think you should do the caves. I am very concerned about traffic in terms of doing both and getting significant beach time though.

The time of day and the amount of time tou have in port are paramount

Do you have (six) hours?

If so, it can be easily done.

Get off the ship first thing and find a taxi.

You may be the first people to the Caves. With transit and tour it will take a few hours up and back. Budget three (3) to be safe.

T

Have the driver drop you off at any beach between Holetown and points south to Deep Water Harbour. You'll only be 15-30 minutes from the ship at any beach from Holetown south. Taxis are plentiful.

You should be on the beach by 1pm and have two to three hours of beach time.

Food is abundant, too, not to worry.

Please don't miss the Caves. They are one of our best attractions. :)

harrisons2.jpg

Barbados you beat me to it:D

I don't want to deter you from your beach day but the caves are indeed beautiful and if you can swing it I think you should do the caves. I am very concerned about traffic in terms of doing both and getting significant beach time though.

The time of day and the amount of time tou have in port are paramount

We're in port from 8am to 5pm, so have to be aboard by 4-4:30. The ship offers a cave expedition that leaves at 9:30, back by 1pm, but how far away is the Boatyard from the dock, and would it be worthwhile to go there for such a short time? I'm thinking the best way would be an early cab to the caves, then get dropped off on the way back. Are cabs readily available at the caves or would I have to arrange for one beforehand?

We're in port from 8am to 5pm, so have to be aboard by 4-4:30. The ship offers a cave expedition that leaves at 9:30, back by 1pm, but how far away is the Boatyard from the dock, and would it be worthwhile to go there for such a short time? I'm thinking the best way would be an early cab to the caves, then get dropped off on the way back. Are cabs readily available at the caves or would I have to arrange for one beforehand?

The boatyard is not very far away from the cruise dock so if you are back at one you maybe able to have about 2 1/2 hours of beach time comfortably. It should not take you 15 minutes each way to get to and from the cruise dock.

I am not to sure about taxi availability at the caves but if you go the cab route, I am sure if you arrange with the guy that drops you off to come back for you he will have no problem with doing that.

This option actually sounds quite feasible.:)

The boatyard is not very far away from the cruise dock so if you are back at one you maybe able to have about 2 1/2 hours of beach time comfortably. It should not take you 15 minutes each way to get to and from the cruise dock.

I am not to sure about taxi availability at the caves but if you go the cab route, I am sure if you arrange with the guy that drops you off to come back for you he will have no problem with doing that.

This option actually sounds quite feasible.:)

It does, and I think that's what we'll go with. Thanks you guys for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Barbados, our cruise ship leaves at 3PM so we will have to be back to the ship by 2PM, or at least that's the time frame I would be most comfortable with. What would be the closest beach that has facilities for changing, rents chairs and umbrellas and has food service?

SHould I look for a hotel day pass?

Thanks in advance.

Barbados, our cruise ship leaves at 3PM so we will have to be back to the ship by 2PM, or at least that's the time frame I would be most comfortable with. What would be the closest beach that has facilities for changing, rents chairs and umbrellas and has food service?

SHould I look for a hotel day pass?

Thanks in advance.

Boatyard would be your best bet with those parameters.

Archived