Just off the Nov 11th chartered Freedom

Karter

I thought I would update this thread since I just came off the latest charter - Brilliance of the Seas from San Juan. The ports were fantastic (Curacao, Aruba, St, Marteen and St. Kitts) - probably the best four ports of my US cruising days (30 cruises). Weather was perfect too.

The only thing that qualified me to be on this cruise is that I am an adult, but we had a great time. The hallmark of the entire experience for us was how friendly the other cruisers were. We met more people on this cruise than all of my previous cruises combined. The people watching was great fun, and we even brought a few modest costumes to feel like a part of it all. Nobody approached us in the slightest way that made me uncomfortable. We are already signed up for two more, and like some posters above, can't imagine being on a cruise with kids at this point.

The only negatives were with respect to the ship itself. I am not a Royal Caribbean cruiser, and didn't care much for the food or the decor of the cabin (a suite that hopefully will be refurbished), although did like the ship in general. I was concerned about toilet malfunctions before the cruise, having read about them here, and sure enough, it happened. The lack of information from the cruiseline about when someone would attempt to repair added to the distress. But these were small inconveniences compared to the wonderful time that we had.

I would urge anyone considering this type of cruise to look into it. I was nervous going in, and got some wrong information about dress codes and such. I was talking to one of the owners on board and she said that she aimed for a classy experience. I think she delivered.

We were on the cruise also and asked the charter organizer what percentage of the cruisers were actually swingers. His response was approximately 30% - the rest are there for an adult time without any kids. We also had a great time on the Brilliance as usual and were never asked to participate in any activities that we were not comfortable with.

The pool party was incredible lasting until 2:00 A.M. with a large crowd. I will say I prefer the Freedom class to the Radiance class for this type of cruise because the promenade is great for people watching and the parades.

As I mentioned in a prior post I am booked on the upcoming Freedom, Brilliance, and Independence because they are so much more fun compared to a regular cruise. Plus I get the normal points and amenities for being Diamond Plus including the concierge lounge.

Like you I also found the passengers to be much more friendly and outgoing than on a regular cruise. If there are any other questions I can try to answer them.

This sounds interesting. How would you find out about charter cruises?

Can I also get the compasses emailed to dsunny3 at excite dot com. Thanks.

The compasses have been sent.

To find out more try searching for Freedom of the Seas November 10, 2013, Brilliance of the Seas January 27, 2014, Celebrity Century May 3, 2014 (west coast cruise), or Independence of the Seas November 15, 2014.

I forgot that we are also booked on the Celebrity cruise since we have not taken a west coast cruise for many years after RCCL pulled Mariner out.

I met several folks on this cruise that booked inside or window cabins and were upset that despite booking a year in advance were not able to book balcony cabins. Here's what I learned, and perhaps the owners of this charter will correct me if I am wrong.

Couples Cruise is the charterer of these cruises. They work with several travel agents. Each travel agent gets an allotment of cabins (in different categories). Each travel agent has control of these cabins, at least for a while. I shopped around (via the Internet - the deck plans are easy to use to see what is available) until I found close to what I wanted. I am still looking for a different cabin for the November cruise, but I am booked in one that will be fine if nothing else opens up. I would suggest that if you stumble across a travel agent that only has inside cabins on a low floor, and you want something else, keep looking or reach out to the charterer. The prices seem to be the same regardless of who you book with (they don't fluctuate over time like a regular cruise, I believe) although talk on the ship was that certain agents offered perks that others didn't. I was just happy to get the cabins that I was looking for. These cruises book up quickly and although there might be cabins available up until sail date, the earlier the better for the best selection. In all my years of cruising I never booked so far out in advance, but I am now.

Thanks for this review. My hubby and I are not in the lifestyle ("in the lifestyle" is correct?) and have no interest in it, but have always wanted to take a no-kids cruise on one of the lines we enjoy. It would never have crossed our minds to look for a charter like this. Truth is that I would have been afraid we'd feel like outcasts or prudes or, well, whatever. But it sure would be nice to have the option of sunbathing topless and having some of the freedoms not available on regular cruises. May I ask how overt the activities were? We're comfortable with nudity, sexy attire, and even somewhat provocative behavior, but would be very uncomfortable with things like sex in public places, etc. It sounds like that was not the case and I know that people in the lifestyle are usually very committed to their partners and have specific "rules" for appropriate behavior both in public and between consenting adults in private. I just don't quite know how that works.

beachchick

Umm ... beachchick .... sounds like you got some interest there! :D:p

Yes and no. Most of the furniture was removed and replaced with mattresses, curtains, battery lanterns, and other decorations but I would estimate only maybe 50 mattresses total. There were curtains across the entrance so you would not see inside unless you entered.

The Bouncy-Bouncy Room! :eek::p

• 2 months later...

Karter, my wife and I were just on the Freedom and are intrigued by the idea of returning for the adult version. If it isn't too much trouble, can you send me the compasses as well? Thanks!

enigma99 at netscape dot com

Umm ... beachchick .... sounds like you got some interest there! :D:p

Umm...No. We have no interest in the swinging lifestyle, period.

Having no problem with nudity or even somewhat provocative behavior (that is, behavior by others) in no way means having an interest in anything. Good grief, just because we enjoy topless/clothing optional beaches and just because the idea of an adults-only cruise might be enjoyable doesn't mean we want to have sex in public or with different partners or anything except simply enjoy sunbathing without clothing. It's rather irritating that anyone would assume otherwise. If there were standard adults-only cruises on the lines we prefer and can afford, we'd be all over that in an instant. There aren't, so we might consider other options. That doesn't mean we would participate in various activities. Not a chance.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

I just realized that I might have offended some people last night. I want to make it clear that I'm not saying couples who swing have sex in public, etc. Clearly, there are rules and customs that mean that is inappropriate--I don't know exactly what they are, but from reading here, it's obvious that they exist partly so that no one will be uncomfortable or embarrassed. I'm afraid I went a bit overboard in my examples.

beachchick

Karter, my wife and I were just on the Freedom and are intrigued by the idea of returning for the adult version. If it isn't too much trouble, can you send me the compasses as well? Thanks!

Thank you for your initial review and also the newer one -this sounds interesting. Could you send the compasses to pgpshops at yahoo.com ? Thanks!

They have been sent.

Edited by Karter

I just realized that I might have offended some people last night. I want to make it clear that I'm not saying couples who swing have sex in public, etc. Clearly, there are rules and customs that mean that is inappropriate--I don't know exactly what they are, but from reading here, it's obvious that they exist partly so that no one will be uncomfortable or embarrassed. I'm afraid I went a bit overboard in my examples.

beachchick

Hi Beachchick

The reason I wrote the initial review was to try and explain that these cruises are nothing like what some people envision. There is no sex in public places in fact it is prohibited. It is just one big party with people dressing to impress (think club wear) and less late at night. During the day by the pool or solarium think Orient beach and at night think senior frogs. We are 50+ year old professionals and never felt awkward or embarrassed we just enjoyed the party atmosphere and best of all no kids.

Tried twice to E-mail but was rejected both times here is the error message.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550 Recipient Rejected: No account by that name here

does not like recipient.

my sincere apologies....my error. Please resend to grecheck53 at comcast.net

does not like recipient.

Could you also send to me please? mmay2000@sbcglobal.net

Very interesting..have not heard anything on this before..so thank you! I like the idea of no kids also..

Compasses have been sent to everyone who requested them. If anyone else wants compasses please E-mail me directly at karter_ken at yahoo dot com.

Also use that E-mail address if you have any questions that you are uncomfortable asking in this public forum and I will be happy to answer them if I can.

• 1 month later...
Karter,

Hello and a big thank you for the info! I have been scouring the internet looking for info on this cruise as Lia and I would like to do the Freedom takeover in 2013. We are not into the lifestyle, but do enjoy an adults only atmosphere and do like to sunbathe au naturel. Any idea what percentage of people were au naturel at the pool, pool deck, and sun deck on a typical day? Also, if you have the ability to email the Cruise Compasses, my email is mike_arruda at hotmail period com. Thanks again for your notes and happy thanksgiving!

take care,

Mike Arruda

We were on the FOS last year and booked it this year. We are not into the lifestyle but do like the sunbathing au naturel. And we enjoy the no kids thing. :) One thing I'd like to mention is, the main dining is open seating. If you wish to sit by yourselves and not "mingle" just ask for a table for two at the hostess stand. We have friends who do "mingle" and we sat with them the first night (table of 8) and I felt like we were intruding on their space. Hope this info is helpful.

One thing I'd like to mention is, the main dining is open seating. If you wish to sit by yourselves and not "mingle" just ask for a table for two at the hostess stand. We have friends who do "mingle" and we sat with them the first night (table of 8) and I felt like we were intruding on their space. Hope this info is helpful.

Really? Wow. Maybe next time, sit at a big table, but not with your friends. in both the LS cruises I've been on, we go to the MDR every night and sit with different people, and everyone is always friendly and the conversation is usually fun and easy-going, but there is typically no differentiation between those who are there for outright hooking up, and those who are more into just the clothing-optional pools, the theme parties, the adult-themed seminars & activities. Because we fall more into that second group, and we've never felt "left out" or like we were intruding on anyone's fun at dinner. I feel like this might have just been a personal dynamic taking place between you and your friends.

I think you'd find there are more people in your situation than you might realize, and by sitting alone at dinner you're missing out on an opportunity to make new friends and meet some interesting people.