Help with upgrade options!

tiffy2by4

I have a question for all of the repeat cruisers out there. We currently have an oceanview stateroom on FOS right in the middle of deck 2 (I was told in the middle and lower would be less ship movement). In looking at prices today, it looks like we may be able to upgrade for only about $160 to a balcony room on the 6th deck. It looks like it's a category x, which I guess means we can't pick our stateroom in advance? I'm worried that we will end up in an area with a lot of noise if we end up going for it. What do you guys think? We are first time cruisers so I have no idea what to expect. Do you think a balcony room is worth it? And if how bad would the noise near the rear of the ship be if we did end up in a noisy room?

I have a question for all of the repeat cruisers out there. We currently have an oceanview stateroom on FOS right in the middle of deck 2 (I was told in the middle and lower would be less ship movement). In looking at prices today, it looks like we may be able to upgrade for only about $160 to a balcony room on the 6th deck. It looks like it's a category x, which I guess means we can't pick our stateroom in advance? I'm worried that we will end up in an area with a lot of noise if we end up going for it. What do you guys think? We are first time cruisers so I have no idea what to expect. Do you think a balcony room is worth it? And if how bad would the noise near the rear of the ship be if we did end up in a noisy room?

For $160 total I would definitely do it. If you get assigned a cabin in a location you are concerned about, you can usually get moved if there is something else available. You could get lucky and end up with a Jr. Suite.

I would do it.

Please understand that you could be assigned any balcony on any deck (baconies are on deck six and higher) anywhere on the ship. Theoretically, you could get a JS or better, but expect a balcony assignment. You could get your assignment soon after buying the upgrade, or you could get it a few weeks or a few days before the cruise, or, less likely, you could wait until you arrive at the pier to to get your assignment. If you get your assignment early and if other cabins are available in your exact same assigned category and if you like the location of one of those cabins better, you could call ask ask to be changed to the better cabin in your exact category. So, if you can roll with the uncertainty and the chance you may not love your cabin location, Go for the X balcony. If you dislike uncertainty or if you really fear being near an end of the ship, stay put. If any of you have a history of motion sickness, perhaps you should consider staying put...otherwise consider going for it with the above caveats.

Freedom class ships are my favorite- prepare to be spoiled!

Keep an eye on your reservation and when you see what category you have been assigned (E1, D2, etc.) take a look at the deck plans to see if it is in an area of the ship you feel comfortable with. If not, just do a mock booking on the RCI website to see what cabins in your category are available! Or better yet, do a mock booking anyway just to see what else is out there. People move cabins all the time so if you see a cabin location you think you might enjoy, don't give up since something in the "neighborhood" might open up! Then you can call RCI or your TA and request a cabin change. As long as it is the same category there will be no charge. And continue to keep an eye out for price drops too!

Please do come back and let us know how it works out for you:)

Congratulations on making a great decision. As others have mentioned, keep an eye out for when they assign you a cabin, then look at where you are located, and if you want to move, remembering that you need to stay in the same category, you can request to be moved to a new cabin number.

Also, watch for price decreases in a better catagory, and for very little, if any money, you may be able to even improve your location more. You mention that you are a first time cruiser, so until you have a few cruises under your belt, this last piece of advise may be hard for you to understand.

You did the right thing, now enjoy your cruise!!:)

Rick

Thanks again you guys! I will definitely be stalking the webpage to make follow any price drops and to see about better cabin locations once we get an assignment. Can't wait to relax on our balcony! You guys made me feel a lot better about making the decision. Thanks!!

Archived