Jewel class forward suites - windy? How bad?

Unknotted

I did a search on this , lest I be flamed for not doing my homework, but I can only find bits and pieces of info on the topic. There are no aft suites left, so moving aft isn't an option.

We will be sailing in suite 10000 on the Jewel next year, our first time forward. I've read that it is windy, but some say it's not bad. Some say you can't open the balcony door while under way, others say they have done it. (I see there are 2 doors to the balcony.)

So can someone enlighten me? How windy is it? Like, does it suck the breath right out of you or just blow your hair around a little?

Does the outer (bulkhead) door latch into the open position? Does it have to be closed while under sail? If it is already open before you sail can it stay open?

Is the picture window big enough to sit in front of for viewing? If so, can you see much? Can a fairly tall person (I am almost 5'10") see over the solid railing/wall while sitting?

I probably have a dozen more questions but can't think of them right now, so any opinion you have on these suites will be appreciated. If you only have negative opinions, that's OK...we will just have to get our minds in the right place before we cruise and it will be fine. We just prefer to go into it with our eyes open. Thanks for the help.

Hi Brenda, we were in cabin 9500 on the Star from Oct. 21 to Nov. 4. There was never a time we couldn't sit out on the balcony or walk out

and stand by the rail, while moving or in port. While moving we couldn't leave the inside door open, and we usually shut the outside door at night because the wind coming through the inside door whistled. We did have to keep our curtains closed at night, but that didn't stop us from having a gab session with our neighbors in the evening. We used our balcony much more in the penthouse than we ever did in a regular balcony. Sitting in a lounge chair you can see the ocean.

Yes, the bulkhead door latches open, for several days we had it open for 24/7 until we ran into some high winds. The inside picture window is nice, but we never sat there because it was so beautiful on the balcony, no matter what time of day or night it was.

It sure is going to be hard going back to a regular balcony, but the budget won't allow us to always have a penthouse! Enjoy yours!!

While under way it can be very windy depending on the wind direction as compared to the ships direction.

The outer bulkhead door can beat latched in the open position but will be usually closed by your room steward in the evening. They will also close the drapes for the evening to prevent glare on the bridge windows above.

The rail height is at about eye level when you are seated.

When I get back to my computer I will post a link to some pictures of #10500.

I could just hug the goop out of both of you for answering...THANKS!

I know that the wind would be dependent on direction of the ship vs. wind direction and also speed, but I am happy to know that the wind isn't necessarily going to ruin the experience of being out on the balcony.

I could just hug the goop out of both of you for answering...THANKS!

I know that the wind would be dependent on direction of the ship vs. wind direction and also speed, but I am happy to know that the wind isn't necessarily going to ruin the experience of being out on the balcony.

Brenda - do I get a hug for texting Beaver and asking him to answer you ? If so, could you leave the goop in ? ;):);)

Here is the link to those pictures I told you about:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/512440027jaJQiA

These are of #10500 from 2005 when the Jewel first came out. #10500 is a mirror image of #10000.

Another think to know it that you need to be very careful when you have the balcony door open. If it is windy and you open the cabin door to the hallway everything that is not nailed down will go flying right out the door.

John

Let's make it a bigger group hug because we upgraded ourselves on our 2013 cruise to be in BOTH 10000 and 10500.

I have an additional question....can the queen bed be separated into two twin beds or is it fixed? I have read both on here. We are taking all the kids along this time and would like it to be separate in one of the cabins. Trying to avoid the whole "his foot is on me....he's breathing on me..." thing if possible with the boys.

I was in Suite 10000 on the Jewel just last week. Surprisingly enough we were able to be on the balcony lots more time than expected. We were out there taking pictures until we got to the Verrazano Bridge before it got too windy by the rail. But you could back away to near the door and it's not windy at all.

We were outside every time we were going into ports and leaving ports. Below are some pictures of the suite for you:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Let's make it a bigger group hug because we upgraded ourselves on our 2013 cruise to be in BOTH 10000 and 10500.

I have an additional question....can the queen bed be separated into two twin beds or is it fixed? I have read both on here. We are taking all the kids along this time and would like it to be separate in one of the cabins. Trying to avoid the whole "his foot is on me....he's breathing on me..." thing if possible with the boys.

It is one bed that is not separable. I have heard of people requesting 2 smaller beds to replace the one big one.

Thank you John, I remember seeing those pictures, but forgot where I found them. I love that you show things from all different angles.

I understand about keeping the balcony door open and then opening the cabin door. That is a problem to a certain degree even with regular balcony cabins. We won't really need to keep both balcony doors open, but are hoping to sit out in the evening without getting our glasses blown off or something.

I guess common sense should tell me that if the wind was as strong as I imagine it in my mind's eye, the furniture on the balcony would be a hazard. I just didn't think of that until now.

I also read somewhere that if there is a bad storm or something, maintenance will come and board up the windows on these cabins. YIKES! That would really be crummy!

Anyway, thanks again John.

Brenda, we had 55mph winds one night and horrible lightning and thunder, but we never heard from maintenance about putting up the block over the window. Yes, you can sit out anytime day or night when it's windy and your lounge chairs are back closer to the door. The price of the penthouse is worth the balcony, in my opinion!!:D

JMHAM1: WOW! It sounds like you have a great cruise planned...you need double hugs for having 2 suites!!

NYGirl1002: Thanks tons for the pictures! It's nice seeing the exact room on the exact ship. Thanks for the input about backing away from the rail too. We'll be OK with that.

Joyce: I'm not even sure where I read that, but I'm glad to hear that they don't board up the window all that easily. Also, we sail in inside cabins a few cruises in a row and then we feel like we deserve something special. We'll be cruising in March, which is the last inside before we pamper ourselves with the suite on the Jewel. That isn't until next December, but I am really excited about it. At least we have the one in March (with my siblings) to help keep me distracted, but after that....ugh!

After this cruise, I seriously doubt we will want to book a suite with any of the other cruise lines that we use.

Just a teeny weeny disagreement (we were in OS 9504 on the Jewel last March-April, so we had the forward and the side balcony); when we were sailing, you could not stand by the rail *at all* (maybe the ship was going faster? rougher seas?) without losing anything not nailed down.

Yes, we could stand by the cabin's bedroom window, and all was fine, but sitting in the lounge chairs by the window it would have been hard to see anything. On days in port, or clear days, whatta balcony!

One point which maybe only I am the only one too stupid to figure out until halfway through the cruise: The lounge chairs on these balconies have cushions hidden behind the bedroom curtains! I assume they live there, and not on the chairs, because they would be blown off while at sea. At least I figured it out before the cruise was over...

happy cruising,

el henry

We were on the Star years ago, 10502, thru the Panama Canal, best seat in the house. Similar to the Jewel as far as those front cabins go.

Yes, you need to close the curtains at nite because of light reflecting up to the bridge, but theres not a whole lot to see at nite.

Our door would whistle with high winds at nite.

But the worse thing for DW was to sit, lay out on the balcony, there is no shade, we were mostly always in the sun. She can't do a whole lot of sun.

But thats the worst. The suites are great and make up for any shortcomings.

Enjoy.:)

el henry, thanks for the tip about where the cushions are stored...now we'll know to look for them.

Da-Painter, we're from the desert, so we are used to being in the sun and we always use protection (sunscreen, sun glasses, hats, etc.) I suspect that we'll be more likely to get windburn than sunburn out on the balcony. Thanks for the heads up though, because I'd rather know what we're in for than not be prepared.

Its pretty simple, stick your head out your car window driving 20mph. Thats how windy it will most likely be while the ship is moving. It could be better if they wind is coming from the stern.......it could be worse if the wind is coming ahead.

Its pretty simple, stick your head out your car window driving 20mph. Thats how windy it will most likely be while the ship is moving. It could be better if they wind is coming from the stern.......it could be worse if the wind is coming ahead.

I'll admit I hadn't thought of doing that. One thing I had wondered though (and yes, I sometimes analyze things to death) was if the aerodynamics of the ship were such that the wind was diverted away from the balconies instead of right into them.

I probably should stop second guessing myself and just roll with the flow, regardless of what the wind does. I do thank you all for your input though.

We wouldn't cruise without being in the forward suites anymore. We love it up there. Never had a time that we couldn't manage to be out there if we wanted. It can be breezy standing up at times. But we could always sit out there. As others have said, we close the outer door at night due to wind whistling. I've never heard of boarding up the windows. These are the same windows they use up on the bridge and those are never boarded up.

I love, love, love those forward suites! :D Some cruisers feel that way about the aft suites.....but I'll never change! Out of my 7 cruises, 4 have been forward suites. I booked my Pacific Coastal in one...but decided to move up to a GV. My Gem cruise we'll be in 9002 - right up front again!:cool:

Archived