Aerial Tram and Tortugero Canal tour, PUERTO LIMON

tine-tine

We did a trip last time in Costa Rica that included banana plantation and zip line and though the Aerial Tram would be a good choice, I have searched the appropriate Port of Call page but cannot find anything definitive as there seems to be confusion (by me) between the two Ports used by cruise ships. Does anyone know of a good trip from Puerto Limon and if it is doable as a cruise ship passenger not wanting to miss the boat!?

We have been going to Costa Rica for 20 years!! Love the country. Zip lines are fun and I find the banana plantations very interesting if you have never seen one. I have reservations about recommending the Arial Tram as most wildlife activity takes place at dawn & dusk as they hide out during the heat of the day. You will get great views of the jungle canopy which in itself is very interesting. My favorite by far is the Tortugero Canal tour with interesting birds, cayman's, iguanas etc along the banks of the canal. It is very doable from Limon (although don't know your port times)

These are the boats

IMG_0121.JPG

Side channel

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

We did a ship's excursion with a rain forest tour which included an aerial tram a few years back. The tour exceeded our expectations and was really nice. While there was a large busload of people they broke us up into smaller groups for the walk through the rainforest - which was on well used paths but very enjoyable.

Here are some pictures (#86 to 111 in this photo album):

Costa Rica - Rain Forest views on the Aerial Tram excursion

We were very happy we were on a ship's tour as the location was about an hour from port and on the return we ran into a taxi strike and cabs had blocked the highway at a bridge for an hour or two causing a big delay in returning.

Wow, thank you all, the pictures are amazing, I just want to be there and the good news i will be soon. So hard to decide, should I do the aerial tram or the canal trip. I will contact JJ and see what he says. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the canal tour a couple of years ago and loved it. Did see lots of wildlife!

Last February we booked (through Celebrity) a visit to the Veragua Rainforest research and adventure park with frog exhibit and butterfly garden including Arial Tram. This was definitly NOT the Arial Tram ride I would recommend to anyone. It was only 10 minutes down and after a short walk through the rainforest (same way up and back!) another 10 minutes up. I've seen videos of another Arial Tram ride, so make sure you pick the right one!

At least I now have a reason to go back to Costa Rica :D

• 4 months later...

Archived