Snorkeling from shore (not rocky)

gt1701a

Hello. I am looking for a place to snorkel from the shore. I know about Eden Rock Dive center but I am traveling with 2 young children (4 and almost 6) so I need a beach entry not a ladder or rocks.

Are there any parts of 7 mile beach that offer ok snorkeling? I would need a spot with bathrooms and snorkel gear rental (including life jackets). Cemetery beach looks nice but does not provide a bathroom it seems. With young kids I can't go without a bathroom!

I am not interested in snorkel boat tours as my oldest tends to get seasick on little boats.

The parts of Seven Mile Beach with ok snorkeling do not have bathrooms and other facilities on site.

Governor's Beach has ok snorkeling and is next door to the Westin Hotel. There are no bathroom facilities at Governor's Beach though. There is a Red Sail Sports dive shop at the Westin that rents snorkel gear.

Or Cemetery Beach... ok snorkeling. No bathrooms or snorkel gear rental nearby.

Rum Point does have ok snorkeling, on site snorkel gear rental, and bathrooms complete with showers. It is a good place for young kids. Just not on Seven Mile Beach. You will need a rental car to go there if you aren't gooing by boat.

Rum Point is also the nicest spot to spend a day on the island for our money. Easy drive and the rental is inexpensive, especially if your credit card covers you.

The Marriott on SMB was selling day passes for use of their beach, restrooms, and pool, not sure if they still are? The beach was virtually gone last Sept when we stayed there (at least at high tide) but they were going to reclaim it in Oct or Nov. But they have a man-made "reef" just past their floating tables, and there's a reef beyond that. Red Sail Sports rents snorkel equip there too.

A while back somebody posted about a beach across from Kentucky Fried Chicken. They said it had a small beach area. Now I cant remember if they said it had facilities close by or not. Anybody have thoughts on that beach area?

Archived