Norovirus or just lots of sick people??

sailbynite

Norovirus is very common.

From the CDC website:

"Norovirus is the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis in the United States. Each year, it causes about 21 million illnesses...Norovirus is also the most common cause of foodborne-disease outbreaks in the United States."

and

"Norovirus has many other names. You may hear norovirus illness called "food poisoning" or "stomach flu." Food poisoning can be caused by noroviruses. But, other germs and chemicals can also cause food poisoning.

Norovirus illness is not related to the flu (influenza), which is a respiratory illness caused by influenza virus."

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/overview.html

We just have to be sure to keep washing our hands!

Edited by Tansy Mews

In my case 4 couples had lunch at the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman on a Panama Canal cruise on the Crystal Symphony. 3 of us awoke in the middle of the night sick, none from the same couple. They quarantined us in our cabin for 24 hours even though my wife never became ill. From what we heard, about 65 pax and crew got the virus. They did heavy cleanings of our bathrooms and some of the self service buffets were no longer self service.

The good news is that it passed quickly and the cruise returned to normal. I always figured that I picked up the germs riding in a cab/bus or touching counters in stores, etc. in Cayman because there was a large Carnival ship and a large Celebrity ship there and the town was teeming with people.

Everyone Everywhere needs to practice HAND HYGIENE. The ships help with the sanitizing stations outside of the food venues, and at exit/entry points on the ship.

Read the precautions/advisories from the CDC. When you go ashore, bring your personal bottles of hand sanitizers with you and USE them. Practice caution when having ice cubes in drinks, eating fruit and vegetables, etc.

And from this discussion about tummy wogs, we could move on to RESPIRATORY HYGIENE/COUGH ETIQUETTE. The COLD is a common occurrence when traveling. And man, the one we contracted while we cruised through Asia was amazing, in the negative connotation. Sure wish folks land-side and on-board would have covered their coughs AND sanitized their hands.

We eat most of our meals on the Terrace and I wash my hands before eating, use the hand sanitizer upon entering and then use the hand sanitizer after filling my plate.

I see many who do not use the hand sanitizer and I have to use the serving pieces after they've handled them which is just a little gross so back to the hand sanitizer before I dine! c

And from this discussion about tummy wogs, we could move on to RESPIRATORY HYGIENE/COUGH ETIQUETTE. The COLD is a common occurrence when traveling. And man, the one we contracted while we cruised through Asia was amazing, in the negative connotation. Sure wish folks land-side and on-board would have covered their coughs AND sanitized their hands.

i agree with you

I have been struck with "CRUISE COUGH" several times

I cannot blame the airlines as we drove to the port & I got sick during the 1week of the cruise ...not nice at all

I am hoping for a cough free cruise in March but somehow I doubt it will happen ...taking my OTC cough meds with me ;)

Not pertaining to the norovirus but the common cold issue ... on two of our three riverboat cruises I caught colds from other passengers, and lots of people came down with the colds as well. On our April Viking B2B cruises in France they DID have sanitizers available at the entrance to the restaurant and the boat itself, but in the past I never saw them. (Our first Viking cruise, in Europe, was in October 2003 and the second, in China, was in May 2008.)

I have always assumed that the smaller quarters make it more likely for things like colds to go around. Sure, I've seen people with colds on cruise ships but never as many per capita as on the much smaller riverboats. Not having sailed on the smaller ships like Windstar, I'm wondering if colds and the like are more common there or not. Maybe there is no connection ...

Mura

Not pertaining to the norovirus but the common cold issue ... on two of our three riverboat cruises I caught colds from other passengers, and lots of people came down with the colds as well. On our April Viking B2B cruises in France they DID have sanitizers available at the entrance to the restaurant and the boat itself, but in the past I never saw them. (Our first Viking cruise, in Europe, was in October 2003 and the second, in China, was in May 2008.)

Mura

Yes we had a bad cold go around the ship in June on our river cruise

I was fortunate I did not get it until day 12 of 14 & DH got it when we got home

Our friends got it also

I really like the sanitizers on the river boat much better than the ones on Oceania

They are metal box & when you put your hand inside they spray the sanitizer on your hand

Not sure if I have a photo or not

Lyn

Back to the respiratory issue: another thing I forgot to mention was the proper disposal of tissues after they been used. Dispose of them as soon as possible in a rubbish bin instead of carrying them around in your bag, pocket or hand. I know this may sound weird/gross but if I'm going to be out and about when I have a cold, I take a small ziplock bag and put the used tissues in that so I can keep them contained til I find a rubbish bin. And No Hankies please......!

when I have a cold, I take a small ziplock bag and put the used tissues in that so I can keep them contained til I find a rubbish bin. And No Hankies please......!

Good idea!!

Hankies EEEEWWWWW!!! :eek:

My grandad would only use hankies & gramma had to wash them YUCK

Not to argue with Jan nor her source, but I AM onboard Riviera. Self service buffets (Tea time, for example) are gone. At trivia they annouced the pencils would be disposed of. The captain came over the PA and made an annoucement as required be the CDC when 2% of the passenger and/or crew have REPORTED GI problems to the medical center. The ship has instutited "code red" for sanitation. The staff is continually cleaning

EVERYTHING with sanitizer. As soon as anyone leaves a table in the Terrace Grill, their chair is wiped down with a sanitizer spray (I just witnessed this less then 10 minutes ago). One person told me her husband is going directly from the ship into the hospital upon arrival in Miami tomorrow. Several people have been on IV to avoid dehydration.

There are more hand sanztizer stations set-up now then when we started.

Who ever gets this, seems to be OK within 48 - 72 hours. We are with 4 other couples and all 8 of them have been ill.

I do not know who Jan's source on this cruise is, but they aren't seeing what I am.

Anyone else currently on-board wish to comment... PLEASE?

Not to argue with Jan nor her source, but I AM onboard Riviera. Self service buffets (Tea time, for example) are gone. At trivia they annouced the pencils would be disposed of. The captain came over the PA and made an annoucement as required be the CDC when 2% of the passenger and/or crew have REPORTED GI problems to the medical center. The ship has instutited "code red" for sanitation. The staff is continually cleaning

EVERYTHING with sanitizer. As soon as anyone leaves a table in the Terrace Grill, their chair is wiped down with a sanitizer spray (I just witnessed this less then 10 minutes ago). One person told me her husband is going directly from the ship into the hospital upon arrival in Miami tomorrow. Several people have been on IV to avoid dehydration.

Who ever gets this, seems to be OK within 48 - 72 hours. We are with 4 other couples and all 8 of them have been ill.

I do not know who Jan's source on this cruise is, but they aren't seeing what I am.

My source is another passenger that is on board now and maybe he is not seeing what you are..hope your friends are better soon..

Regards,

Jan

Who ever gets this, seems to be OK within 48 - 72 hours. We are with 4 other couples and all 8 of them have been ill

I do not know who Jan's source on this cruise is, but they aren't seeing what I am

Also on the Riviera now. There is a problem, nurovirus or not. All food is served by the staff, food snacks were removed from the executive lounge two days ago. Just coffee and bottled water, with sodas and some yogurt. Staff is constantly wiping all areas of the ship, railings, chairs, tables, etc. Our butler informed us of the same situation, code red. Close to that 3% when this might have to be reported to the CDC.

On my observation it is obvious. Saw people in the ex. lounge picking up snack sandwiches to see what was in them and then putting back on tray. Guess they didn't like what they saw.:eek:Same problems in the buffet area. Staff is trying very hard but when some people just can't go with the program you have these results.

Capatin was on the PA and did tell us of the situation and to take precautions. I have seen the medical staff visiting some cabins.

We disembark tomorrow and I would suspect we might have a short delay.

We are supposed to board the Riviera tomorrow. Do you recommend that we cancel? How many people do you estimate have been sick?

No. If there is a continuing problem ship will be sanitized completely before allowing new pax on board. How many sick? If code red indeed is in effect then 3% of the ship, pax and crew would be appox 75 to 100 people. Small percentage considering.

CDC.

On my observation it is obvious. Saw people in the ex. lounge picking up snack sandwiches to see what was in them and then putting back on tray. Guess they didn't like what they saw.:eek:Same problems in the buffet area. Staff is trying very hard but when some people just can't go with the program you have these results.

Makes you wonder where these people come from :eek:

I hope you are not delayed too long

Lyn

Also on the Riviera now. There is a problem, nurovirus or not. All food is served by the staff, food snacks were removed from the executive lounge two days ago. Just coffee and bottled water, with sodas and some yogurt. Staff is constantly wiping all areas of the ship, railings, chairs, tables, etc. Our butler informed us of the same situation, code red. Close to that 3% when this might have to be reported to the CDC.

Capatin was on the PA and did tell us of the situation and to take precautions. I have seen the medical staff visiting some cabins.

We disembark tomorrow and I would suspect we might have a short delay.

Why can't people follow instructions/directions? I'm talking about ADULTS here!

I've been confounded by people on our cruises who don't queue where they've been directed, who shove and push in the Terrace buffet line (yes, on O!), and what amazes me most are the people who feel that the muster drills aren't meant for them! Naturally these people don't follow directions when instructed to adhere to food safety and hand hygiene guidelines.

GEES, thanks a lot for thinking rules don't pertain to YOU and thanks a lot for contributing to the problem and maybe CAUSING the problem in the first place!

These viruses spread quickly and easily. Although we all should take precautions, I am not sure that one can be immune from the Norovirus by just being careful about sanitizing and washing hands. We are constantly touching handrails, elevator buttons, armrests, etc. I have no explanation why 3 of us contracted it and 5 did not in our group of 8.

As a cancer survivor, the first thing that people often ask me is whether or not I smoked. When I answer "no", some find it disturbing to realize that stuff can happen, even to those who did not engage in risky or unhealthy behavior.

These viruses spread quickly and easily. Although we all should take precautions, I am not sure that one can be immune from the Norovirus by just being careful about sanitizing and washing hands. We are constantly touching handrails, elevator buttons, armrests, etc. I have no explanation why 3 of us contracted it and 5 did not in our group of 8.

You are right some people are just immune to certain viruses

Have they confirmed it is Noro or something else ?

On one cruise (not Oceania) my DH became deathly ill while I with the compromised immune system never got sick at all in the 18 days onboard

You just never know who or when illness will strike

Congratulations on being a Cancer survivor

Lyn

As a cancer survivor, the first thing that people often ask me is whether or not I smoked. When I answer "no", some find it disturbing to realize that stuff can happen, even to those who did not engage in risky or unhealthy behavior.

People do tend to forget that not all smokers get cancer and not all non-smokers are immune. We had several friends, all non-smokers, who died of lung cancer.

Nothing is 100%.

Mura

People do tend to forget that not all smokers get cancer and not all non-smokers are immune. We had several friends, all non-smokers, who died of lung cancer.

Nothing is 100%.

Mura

I agree, nothing is 100% but one can reduce risk by reducing factors that put one at risk.

Practicing hand hygiene will reduce the risks of contracting an illness. I'd rather try to reduce my risk of contracting illness than not.

Off soap box now and packing it away until next time...