Airline tickets

chet the jet

I guess what I was trying to get is when do you purchase the airline tickets. One month, two months or like 330 days in advance. I have most of the time booked out as far as 300 days to get best price. Is it best to wate till the last min to get the tickets. Yes I do get trip insurance to make sure I have everthing covered.

Normally about 60 days out. I use an app called yapta that emails me we the flight I'm watching changes in price either up or down. It turns out that at about 60 days out there is usually a drop in price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One really never knows anymore with the airlines so your best bet s that if you find a fare and lights that you are happy with, book it, and don't get upset if the fare goes down, be content with your purchased fare, and get insurance in case of eventualities

I book cruises or trips more than a year ahead of time. I start testing airfare prices for the previous year on Kayak. Once you are within 330 days of flying, you can check prices. If the price seems high, I defer, if it is great, like I booked Rt Orlando, FLA to Istanbul for $826 pp, which is not likely to go down much if any. So I booked it ASAP.

I generally book about 2 to 3 months out. Book too far ahead, the airlines usually will charge you their base price and you miss out on any subsequent promotions or sales. Book too close to sailing, you are left with horrible flight times and possible sky high prices as supplies dwindle.

It really depends on the flight. If we're talking a domestic flight, I tend to fly Southwest, as the two free bags saves us on average $300 per trip. I try to book the day the schedule opens as the prices tend to only go up from there. Case in point, I missed the schedule opening for July 2013, and I went to book today and my round-trip to Orlando was already $400 per person (it was the cheapest round trip flight)

If you're flying over a holiday (Thanksgiving, Memorial/Labor day, Christmas, Easter, college spring break, grammar school spring break, 4th of July) book as early as possible. Otherwise, I agree with using Yapta to try and predict what the fares are going to do.

In the end- book the flight you want at a price you feel is fair.

It does depend on the flight - for domestic hops down to FL - we book about 3 months - or when the airlines start their "sales."

For international - 9 months seems to be the majic time for the best fares - but it you are past that, then check a month or so out.

Good rule of thumb: check out Kayak and look to see where flights usually fall - right now ATL to HNL is on average $750 for May 2013, but based on previous months, I know to wait about 1-3 months out to try for below $700 (direct, but you decide if connections are a problem for you - they can be much lower). It takes less than 15 seconds at the computer to check this.

Six months is pretty common for us. Sometimes it's been much later. I tend to keep an eye on things for a long time, and travel a lot for work, so it's more about when the right price point hits for me. I've rarely seen it get cheaper within 30 days for me, out of a mid-sized midwestern town. With fewer flights, it seems like everything gets booked up so fast these days.

USAir and SW are normally 11 months. I checked on flights from Philly to NO. $1800 round trip for two (direct):eek::eek::eek: LOL

Decided to book the Dawn instead and month later out of Tampa same ternary. Same cabin is $300 less and SW into Tampa will be a 1/3 of the price

Archived