Is Turkey [Kusasi/Ephesus] homo ok?

jonle1

Hi all, I am thinking of doing a May cruise on either NCL or RCL in Europe.

I would love to go to Greece, but it appears that all of the cruises include a stop in Kusasi/Ephesus.

I have never thought myself to ever set foot in that country but here goes....

Is that place homo ok? I mean obviously my bf and I are not going to hodl hands and all that stuff, but I would just like to know if there is a chance I would get lynched?

Also, if anyone has gone, is this place good, or skip?

There is one more cruise that goes to the Greek Isles but not Athens.....but it does skip Turkey...

thanks!

You mean Kusadasi I assume. My partner and I have been to Turkey on many occasions and have never felt uncomfortable through I note we are always in the west.

Turkey is a secular state and although the primary religion may be muslim you will find no things like Sharia law which I am guessing is the kind of things you are concerned about.

Istanbul and Ankara (the two biggest cities) all have a thriving gay community and nightlife and although it may not be 'in your face' like the USA or Canada it is certainly not secret.

Ephesus is a truly imperssive site - especially in the early morning or late afternoon. It puts Pompeii to shame IMO and you must have a fish sandwich or a sage tea or Efes beer.

Hope this helps.

I have been to Turkey three times now. Once we spent two days in Istanbul. It was my partner and a friend and we walked around all over the place. I never felt uncomfortable at all. Of course, we didn't have any PDA going on or anything. I didn't think twice about it. We loved Istanbul.

The two other times we docked in Izmir. Once we went to Ephesus and had a great day looking over the ancient ruins. It is very well preserved and simply astounding to experience. The other time we walked across the city of Izmir to the Bazaar. It was a wonderful day. The open street bazaar in Izmir is huge and a lot different then the Grand bazaar in Istanbul. It is a lot more localized and diverse (not so much touristy as the Grand Bazaar). Again, we felt very safe in the city and didn't think twice about it.

My partner and I (women) were on a Med cruise on the NCL Jade several years ago. We docked in Izmir and, along with two others from our Roll Call, used a private tour operator (Ekol, highly recommended) for a tour of Ephesus, the Mary House, and the Temple of Artemis. Ephesus is a fascinating historical site, and our day there with our incredible guide was the single most enjoyable day of our entire trip. (If you go, make sure that you visit the Terrace Houses, within Ephesus, separate admission. Big ship's tours are too large to go inside.)

LibraryofCelsus.jpg

EphesusTheatre.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

You shouldn't have a problem in Instanbul or Ephesus. Partner and I did an Atlantis all-gay charter this summer that included Turkey. Obviously everyone on our ship excursions was gay, and I didn't notice or hear about any kind of problem. The tour guides were just as nice as they could be, and I didn't observe any kind of issue with the general population either. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

As others have said, Ephesus was a highlight of the trip. It's definitely worth visiting. Go and have fun!

I would love to go to Greece, but it appears that all of the cruises include a stop in Kusasi/Ephesus....

There is a reason most of the cruise itineraries include Turkey, particularly Ephesus. To travel in that region of the world and miss Turkey would be a shame. We've been there on a land vacation, not a cruise, and love Turkey. In my travels, I have not encountered anyone, gay or straight, who did not like Turkey.

Do it. As all above has said, it is safe. My partner and I have been all over Turkey several times. We loved Istanbul and Ephesus. There is a lot to see, the food is great and the people kind and welcoming. As also mentioned above, when we travel we do not show public displays of affection. We do not do that even here in the states. Do, go, it is an incredible place !!

I just got back from a two week trip through central and western Turkey. I would have absolutely no reservation about safety and/or being a gay tourist. Turkey has recently had a booming economy, and has really joined the first world. You will be impressed with Turkey.

Gay couples will probably fit in better here than most anywhere else, as hand-holding between men is very common, and there is a lot of cheek kissing going on everywhere. In some of the smaller cities and towns, it is mostly men socializing with other men with few women out and about in the evenings.

Go and have a wonderful time without any worries.

• 3 months later...

Another vote for Turkey. We love it. Spent a week in Istanbul and never had even the slightest concern for our safety or for being generally who we are.... Visited Ephesus in 2001 - as others have mentioned, it's an impressive place! GO!! ENJOY!!

Joe

My partner and I also have a holiday home in turkey. And have never ever had any problems with being a gay couple.this is not a third world country or like Iraq. It is warm and welcoming and very modern nowadays. You will love this country and I am sure you will want to return, as it has so much culture and beautiful places to visit x

My hubby and I are leaving for Istanbul a month from tomorrow, for touring before catching a cruise to Barcelona. It will be our second trip to Istanbul and third to Turkey overall. We know we'll enjoy it. Twice to Efes (Ephesus) but this time we port at Dikili and will go to Pergamum. If life turns out well, we will go to Efes again in the future, as they are constantly working on more restorations.

The Terrace Houses were just piles of rubble during our first trip, but what a change by the second trip. Tours of them are limited to no more than 20 people in a group (must be guided), but our last ship (NCL) offered a smaller group tour to the Terrace Houses, in addition to the main big bus/big sit tours. If you've not been before, do the overall tour, as we skipped most of the site to allow enough time for the Terrace Houses. It didn't go to the Library, so we were glad we'd been before...it's the 2-level, columned structure in the big picture above, and worth the price of admission.

As to safety. Just don't advertise you're gay and you'll never even catch a second look. We had a gay local guide on the first trip we've remained friends with. Had a beer with him on the second trip at Izmir, but he was on a different tour bus during the day.

If you have a choice of ports, Kusadasi is cuter and right on the water. Izmir's port is just a hopping ashore point, requiring transportation to get downtown.

Did a cruise to Turkey last summer. Loved Istanbul and Ephesus, and would really like to go back to both. They were really the highlight of the trip. If you are thinking about NCL Spirit, I would recommend it. First cruise, got us hooked, and loved the smaller ship and casual feel. Go to Turkey. As everyone has said, it is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 months later...

Turkey overall seems socially progressive, as we felt comfortable after having seen local gay Turkish residents holding hands as they strolled around the streets in Izmir (our port of call for Ephesus aboard the Norwegian Jade.)

• 3 weeks later...

While it isn't the topic of this thread, I find it offensive to refer to people who are homosexual as homos. The use of that term is not simply a shortening of the word homosexual, it is a derogatory name. I don't know how any self-respecting man, woman, or transgendered individual would allow another to call them a homo.

Where in a respectful society would you ask if something was "homo ok"?

Kusadasi is one of those ports where if you have a nickel in your pocket they will LOVE you! :-) As we walked back to our ship the vendors were chasing us. Two in particular were very persistent. Finally, as we were about to escape, they both yelled, "Please Gentlemen, PLEASE buy our CRAP!" We were both laughing so hard as we turned around & bought our $10 Rolex's. :-)

It is not a matter of personal taste; the term "homo" a derogatory way of referring to homosexuals. Whether or not some homosexuals think it is ok, there are many who see being called a "homo" as a bullying reference; and many would take offense with the terms queer, ******, etc.

Likewise, if I am overweight, I might not have a problem with calling myself Fatty or Fat-Butt in public, but there are those who might take offense in a public forum. Can you imagine me asking, "Is this country safe for fatty homos?" What one might say in a private setting may not be appropriate for a public forum.

Words hurt -- and degrading words degrade the person.

Archived