Laundry on Marina

Jimosprey

I know there are washers/dryers on board.

Are there irons/ironing boards available?

What is the cost for dry cleaning or ironing svcs by the staff?

Thank you (first time cruising).

Can't help you with costs of ship's service as I've never used it, but reports are that it costs "no more than at home." I do use dry cleaning at home occasionally, but have never used laundry services anywhere, so I have no comparison.

But, to answer your other question, yes, each laundry room (one on every cabin deck except Deck 12), has two ironing boards and two irons built into cabinets on the wall. If the cabinets are closed, some folks have mistaken them for electrical panel boxes as they made little attempt to make them pretty, but open the cabinet door and the ironing board folds down.

You can see one closed cabinet and part of one opened ironing board in this photo:

150040.jpg

You can also see the blue detergent dispenser on the wall. On Riviera, and possibly now that Marina has been through drydock, there is a nice cabinet in each laundry room providing a counter top for folding and a fridge with bottled water.

Can't help you with costs of ship's service as I've never used it, but reports are that it costs "no more than at home." I do use dry cleaning at home occasionally, but have never used laundry services anywhere, so I have no comparison.

But, to answer your other question, yes, each laundry room (one on every cabin deck except Deck 12), has two ironing boards and two irons built into cabinets on the wall. If the cabinets are closed, some folks have mistaken them for electrical panel boxes as they made little attempt to make them pretty, but open the cabinet door and the ironing board folds down.

You can see one closed cabinet and part of one opened ironing board in this photo:

150040.jpg

You can also see the blue detergent dispenser on the wall. On Riviera, and possibly now that Marina has been through drydock, there is a nice cabinet in each laundry room providing a counter top for folding and a fridge with bottled water.

There is a power switch timer for the irons - for safety. I have used the laundry machines - fairly cheap - a dollar or so. Get the tokens from Reception. Free laundry detergent.

Don's picture does not show it but I think there is a TV on the wall to entertain you while you do laundry.

Yes, dryer sheets are a good idea.

You buy tokens at Reception and if you think you will be doing laundry several times, get extra tokens. They can be turned back in for credit if you don't use them. That way if a machine is available you can start right away.

When you get tokens, they are charged to your onboard account.

I also found a way to convert OBC to cash, in a very, very small way :D. Assuming you have a little OBC left in your account and were about to lose it, wait until the morning of disembarkation (after accounts have been settled) to turn it in. They will give you cash.

I didn't plan this; I just happened to find the token in my pocket as I passed reception on the way off the ship.

Hey, two bucks in my pocket is better than nothing, right? :p

Not sure if the same tokens are on all ships.

Marina originally took 8 quarters which they supplied at Reception and charged to your account (Better deal, Don) but I believe they have converted to tokens. Don't know about Riviera.

Fortunately yes, $2 tokens - no quarters.

I believe one day there could be a card reader to simply charge to one's ship board account. That would be convenient for the ship as well not having to manage the tokens

The laundry service is not a big expense and very convenient. The self-serve laundry can get very busy though much better on the O ships with one per deck. I appreciate having the laundries. Would even be better if O offered the $10 a bag or such that some lines that do not have self-serve laundries offer.

Best time to do laundry is 5:30 and onward while people are guzzling their Happy Hour drinks and going to dinner. Hardly ever a line then. Since we eat late and don't always go to Happy Hour, it works for us. And of course, it's not everyday that you need to do laundry.

I often hang a lot of my stuff to dry so put in a load, dress for dinner, pick it up and hang, go to dinner. Works a charm.

Mo

Why not just hold them for your next cruise, Don? If they raise the cost you're even farther ahead. Kind of like "investing" in the new stamps that never expire. :D

I'd forget them. Part of the aging process.

As for the "Forever" Stamps, I bought some when they first came out, but had used them up before the price increased. So, I paid more for the next batch, but did the same. In fact, I don't think I've had more than one or two that saved me a penny or two after an increase. Each time I need more, they cost more. The only way they would work for me is to buy more than I could afford way back when -- and by now, I probably would have forgotten where they are. :rolleyes:

Not sure if the same tokens are on all ships.

Marina originally took 8 quarters which they supplied at Reception and charged to your account (Better deal, Don) but I believe they have converted to tokens. Don't know about Riviera.

Marina took quarters at first because someone in Miami forgot to ship tokens to the ship! I would imagine it has been converted to tokens, by now. That was one of the things they learned through Marina and used on Riviera -- she took tokens from the start.

I'd forget them. Part of the aging process.

As for the "Forever" Stamps, I bought some when they first came out, but had used them up before the price increased. So, I paid more for the next batch, but did the same. In fact, I don't think I've had more than one or two that saved me a penny or two after an increase. Each time I need more, they cost more. The only way they would work for me is to buy more than I could afford way back when -- and by now, I probably would have forgotten where they are. :rolleyes:

Ah, Don. I resemble that problem.:o Kay

I did laundry in the deck 11 laundry room on the recent Riviera transatlantic and there was a machine in the laundry room which took dollar bills and dispensed laundry tokens. I did not use it as I had obtained my tokens earlier from reception.

I forgot to mention that there were also about 5 laundry baskets for you to use to transport your laundry back to your room. There was a note pasted in the bottom of the basket asking you to return it back to the laundry room after you were finished with it. A very nice touch!

I'm one who preferred it when the machines on Marina took quarters, but that's just because at home I'm the one who collects quarters from the laundry rooms and puts a certain number in rolls to sell to other residents. (I don't get the proceeds, the Coop does!) The remainer DH hauls to the bank where they have a machine -- which sometimes works properly -- that translates the quarters into dollar bills.

So it was very easy for me to bring a roll along with us ... saved us taking the time going to reception to get tokens.

But gone are the days ... Pretty funny that the reason for the quarters was that someone forgot to send tokens to the ship! Except ... weren't the machines calibrated for quarters and NOT tokens? At least at the beginning?

Mura

Archived