New travel rules for taking other's kids to Mexico

misguidedangel

Well, it seems the Mexican gov't changed the rules for taking children that are not your own out of the country. No longer is the notarized parental consent form enough. The parents must have two forms-One consent for in English and one in Spanish and both have to be sent to the Mexican embassy/consulate for approval. This applies to all minor children travelling to Mexico.

I have to wonder if this will be enforced and put into place for cruise ship stops in any Mexican port. I can't see how they will enforce it because it will seriously throw a wrench into people's plans if they are bringing a friend of their child with them or if family members are taking a niece/nephew or grandchild on vacation with them with their parents consent.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a source link???

I believe the rules only apply if going one way to Mexico and staying there not being on a closed loop cruise where you are visiting for less that 24 hours.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parents/legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this affect is required if debarking with children in Mexico (sailing one-way and not returning to the cruise).

Please note that the OP is from Canada. The info they posted applies to Canadians -- and the new requirments / process the OP described is documented on the website of the Consulado de Carrera de Mexico en Calgary.

It is being discussed on several travel forums across the internet.

No idea how it will be enforced but I sure wouldn't want to find out "the hard way". It appears this went into effect November 9, 2012 but I can't find any posts by folks that have been asked for the documentation.

Snoskier--Please, allow me to get snarky. why do you think it only applies to Canadians? Yes, some nations may suddenly change the rules and say a Visa is required for a specific zone/region. They don't change the laws for just one country and not all countries when the reason they are doing it is to stop human smuggling. If anything, the issue of human smuggling would be a bigger issue for American's travelling to Mexico. Mexico is a tourist destination that attracts visitors from around the world.

As for if it applies, likely it might not for cruises, but I posted it on FB for John to get Carnival beards to see if it does it not. They have far too many day visitors to enforce it. As it is the law is being enforced at the predeparture level--aka the airports or border crossings.

This is taken from the Mexican Consulate: Kids only need a letter if they are traveling alone, or with someone other than their parents, or one of their parents. I am guessing this applies to Canadians and Americans.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR TRAVEL OF MINORS

Based on the entry into force of the Regulations of the new Migration Law on November 9, 2012,please note that Mexican or foreign minors (under 18 years of age) travelling alone or accompanied by a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, other) must present, in addition to a valid passport, a document showing the consent of both parents or those with parental authority or guardianship over the minor. If the document is issued in Canada it must be notarized, legalized by the Mexican Consulate or Embassy, and translated into Spanish.

The text of this document must contain the parents’ express authorization for the minor to travel alone or, if applicable, information on the adult who is authorized to be responsible for the minor during the trip. The document must state the purpose and length of the trip, and specify the dates of entry and departure, as this will be a requirement for allowing the minor to leave Mexican territory.

Minors travelling with at least one of their parents do not require any authorization at all.

This is taken from the Mexican Consulate: Kids only need a letter if they are traveling alone, or with someone other than their parents, or one of their parents. I am guessing this applies to Canadians and Americans.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR TRAVEL OF MINORS

Based on the entry into force of the Regulations of the new Migration Law on November 9, 2012,please note that Mexican or foreign minors (under 18 years of age) travelling alone or accompanied by a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, other) must present, in addition to a valid passport, a document showing the consent of both parents or those with parental authority or guardianship over the minor. If the document is issued in Canada it must be notarized, legalized by the Mexican Consulate or Embassy, and translated into Spanish.

The text of this document must contain the parents’ express authorization for the minor to travel alone or, if applicable, information on the adult who is authorized to be responsible for the minor during the trip. The document must state the purpose and length of the trip, and specify the dates of entry and departure, as this will be a requirement for allowing the minor to leave Mexican territory.

Minors travelling with at least one of their parents do not require any authorization at all.

What you pasted CLEARLY states this is for Canada. I have searched and searched and find nothing stating the same for Americans.

Every embassy can issue their own consular notices, and this one sounds like it came from the Canadian embassy, which makes perfect sense to refer to Canadians. That in and of itself certainly does NOT mean it applies only to Canadians... which makes no sense. But I will allow as anything is possible.

All countries require legal documents to be in the language of that country... except, perhaps, the US, where some politicians seems to think needs to print everything in 9 different languages and dialects. So, I am not surprised that Mexico wants documents that their spanish speaking staffs can read without interpreters.

Rather than doing a "cut and paste" I would like the link direct to the source so I can better judge this.

Thanks ;)

Every embassy can issue their own consular notices, and this one sounds like it came from the Canadian embassy, which makes perfect sense to refer to Canadians. That in and of itself certainly does NOT mean it applies only to Canadians... which makes no sense. But I will allow as anything is possible.

All countries require legal documents to be in the language of that country... except, perhaps, the US, where some politicians seems to think needs to print everything in 9 different languages and dialects. So, I am not surprised that Mexico wants documents that their spanish speaking staffs can read without interpreters.

Rather than doing a "cut and paste" I would like the link direct to the source so I can better judge this.

Thanks ;)

This is the second request for a source link as mine was ignored up above, LOL

From the CCL website:

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

I have taken numerous cruises with my grandson and even though I bring the notarized letter, not one person ever requested to see it. I would think that if a major change had happened Carnival would be aware of it.

It does appear to be specific for Canadians and is something new.

The US site still has the same wording that reflects what CCL says is required.

Travel Documentation

At the very bottom of required documents page.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parents/legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this affect is required if debarking with children in Mexico (sailing one-way and not returning to the cruise).

We just went to Mexico last week on the Elation and brought our Foreign Exchange student along with us. I had a letter in hand and was never once asked for anything. They didn't even bat an eye when he went through.

Not saying this to deter people from getting proper documentation, just saying that it is not being enforced in Cozumel at least.

That's especially interesting considering when we took my daughter's friend with us to Cozumel in October, they didn't ask to ever see a letter there, or at any port for that matter. Of course we had the notarized letter and her passport, but never once did we pull the letter out.

Same here, just got back on Thanksgiving Day, stopped in Progresso & Cozumel with my niece and was not asked for the letter. Of course, I had a notarized letter from both parents to be safe. Yes, it is better to have it on hand and not be asked for it, than to not have it and be asked for it. That would really suck! :eek:

Well that is good that for cruises it isn't being enforced. My mom, for my nieces 16th birthday at the end of June, told my niece that she's paying for her and a friend which is in two weeks time. My brother and his wench of a wife will be going and she also invited a second friend who's coming, but paying her own way to go.

I wouldn't want to go on that cruise, three 16 year old girls to manage and keep track of...no thanks.....they have two cabins with adjoining door, so no hanky panky gonna happen......oh wait, my niece has a healthy fear of what her parents would say/do about certain situations or incidents....

Archived