Instead of Berlin...

SonomaMist

Schwerin has a castle with a moat and lovely gardens. I don't know when you are going, so the gardens might not be in all their glory if you are later in the year. You can also visit the old town area of Schwerin and it is fairly easy to get there from Warnemunde. There is a thread on here by Rostocker who has all kinds of information. Just be aware that train information posted there might have changed.

Luebeck is also a wonderful town, a UNESCO world heritage site with Medieval old town and a famous gate. I like both places, but it might be a bit longer on the train from Warnemunde to Luebeck. You'll have to check the bahn.de train schedule website to see how many transfers as well as trip length.

Also I can recommend just walking the town along the Canal in Warnemunde, its a nice little town, and if you walk to the RIGHT when leaving the dock area/train station you will come to the public beach. If the weather is nice its a nice relaxing day to decompress after intensive ports in other places.

Here is a link to Anni's website that might be helpful http://www.travelanni.webs.com/

You also didn't mention Wismar which is right near Warnemunde and also very historical, a Medieval red brick city, with some classic city gates along the waterfront.

I hope someone will come along with more specific information for you, I have visited both those places but in land vacations so dock logistics is out of my realm. :D

Here is a link to Anni's website that might be helpful http://www.travelanni.webs.com/

You also didn't mention Wismar which is right near Warnemunde and also very historical, a Medieval red brick city, with some classic city gates along the waterfront. . :D

Dear Sauer-kraut, thank you for your feedback. I did run across Wismar in my Eyewitness Guide book and was also considering it since we have an extended day in port (7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.). Will be there in early September, so hope we'll have good autumn weather to get in a lot of sightseeing by car. Appreciate the tip about die bahn -- it's my go to website for all train schedules in Europe. Looking forward to seeing a bit of the old East Germany countryside. When I was in Berlin in 2009 for several days, really enjoyed getting out to Potsdam and Sans Souci. Would like to go back to see the Wannsee Lake District at a later date.

Archived