Alaska dilemma

here2cruise

we will be taking an Alaska cruise next summer and can't make up our minds which one to take...we don't know if we should go out of vancouver or seattle and take one of the newer larger ships that we would rather sail on or if we should take the Regal out of San Fran.

if we took the 10 day on the Regal then we wouldn't have to fly since we're from the bay area and it would also mean more sea days (which we love!), but it is an older and smaller ship ( less restaurants) which is why we are thinking maybe we should drive or fly to seattle or vancouver to take a larger ship, but less sea days...So far we've been on the Star, Coral & Grand and have loved all 3 ships...would love to try Sapphire....Any advice to help us make our deicison?

Hard choice, I agree, but I would choose Regal Princess, and sail out of San Francisco, one of the prettiest harbors around.

There is no thrill like that of sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge.

We loved Coral Princess, and her itinerary out of Vancouver, which we took north- and southbound in May 2004 for a 14-day cruise. We got a great bargain price so that our 14-day cruise cost about the same as a 7-day R/T out of Vancouver or Seattle would have cost (balcony on Aloha deck).

Best itinerary is INSIDE passage (between mainland Canada and Vancouver Island & the Queen Charlottes rather in open ocean west of Vancouver Island) and Glacier Bay. Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord also good for glaciers if you're going that far north.

I agree with Xoe; if you have the time for the 10 day, you will see more of Alaska by doing the north and southbound back to back out of Vancouver. The Oregon coast can be pretty turbulent. If you're not bothered by motion sickness at all, you get more sea days out of SF, but you will not get to do Glacier Bay or College Fjord, which most think is half the reason to go. airfare from SF to Seattle should be cheap, then bus or rental car to Vancouver.

I have done Alaska twice. The first time was Inner Passage from Vancouver on the Ocean Princess, second was on the Diamond from Seattle.

I thought Inner Passage was most spectacular. Glacier Bay is just magnificent.

Did not think Tracey Arm compared. My opinion :)

I do like the choice of the Regal for 10 days as well. Yes, the Regal does not have all of the alternative dining options, but, she is a great ship.

Good Luck with your decision!

Since part of your quandary is ship size, keep in mind that some ships are changing Alaska itineraries next year: The RT out of Seattle will be on the smaller Sun and Dawn, and the one-ways between Vancouver and Whittier will be done by the big Diamond and Sapphire. The mid-size Coral and Island will also stay with the one-ways, as they are this year.

Archived