From Falmouth - Red Stripe Beach vs Chukka Beach excurison

gam888

From Falmouth, Allure charges $29 for the Chukka Beach excursion, 4 hours duration including transportation time, there is also a Red stripe beach excursion from Falmouth for $24, duration is 3 hours including transportation time. Have heard from some folks who have done the Chukka Beach and seem positive, but have not heard from anyone who have done the Red Stripe Beach excursion, do you know if the water is calm and crystal clear, is the sand soft and powdery with a gradual slope into the water? Just wonder which one is nicer.

They are also offering the Falmouth and Montego Bay at Leisure. I don't care too much for the sightseeing part as we were in Falmouth last summer. It says it will spend some time at Doctor's Cave Beach at the end. We were at Doctor's Cave Beach before and really enjoyed it. Has anyone done this excursion with the ship, was it worth it? Thanks in advance.

We did the Chukka Beach excursion in October and were not impressed. The beach was nice, but it was so packed, you barely had enough sand to stick your chair on. The water was pretty calm but murky. For the price RCCL charges, I don't think this excursion is worth it, IMO. It's less than 10 minutes from the port.

I am interested in feedback about these 2 beach breaks as well. And YES, I know there is a destination section on CC but there is no good info there about this. And, when Googling Red Stripe Beach there is only very minimal pics or details. Thanks in advance.:)

We did the Chukka Beach excursion in October and were not impressed. The beach was nice, but it was so packed, you barely had enough sand to stick your chair on. The water was pretty calm but murky. For the price RCCL charges, I don't think this excursion is worth it, IMO. It's less than 10 minutes from the port.

I think your experience had to do with the fact you were on Oasis. When we did it on Freedom in Oct '11, it wasn't overcrowded. We're going on Allure next Nov and will prob not do an excursion. The experience you had on Oasis just reinforces that.

I think your experience had to do with the fact you were on Oasis. When we did it on Freedom in Oct '11, it wasn't overcrowded. We're going on Allure next Nov and will prob not do an excursion. The experience you had on Oasis just reinforces that.

I agree. I did it last year on the Navigator and it wasn't crowded at all.

We just did Chukka this week -- as long as you get there first thing in the morning on one of the first excursions then you will get a free lounger and your spot of the beach. The later excursions or ships all got stuck with a normal lawn chair near the back.

They had a limited bar with $5-$6 drinks, $2 chocolate bars, etc. (negative here).

We felt it could have been $5 cheaper / pp.... but when I saw Red Stripe review it felt bare.

PS: It's a minimum 4 hours, the first bus back started at 4 hour mark but you could stay longer.

Feel free to ask anything else.

Went from Oasis in Sept. Got off the ship went to the Kiosk bought (2) tickets and went to the parking area to pick up the mini van. Ride was only 7 miles. Went thru a guarded gate, thru the mangroves, to a beautiful secluded white sand beach, crystal clear water, music, food for purchase, drinks, showers, changing rooms, working toilets, life guards, lounge chairs for rental. The day we went there were only about 30 people. Can't wait to go back next year. Click thumbnail for panoramic view from the water.:)

P9030434.jpg.4a64057d54f7038a0f6118158286a51d.jpg

Went from Oasis in Sept. Got off the ship went to the Kiosk bought (2) tickets and went to the parking area to pick up the mini van. Ride was only 7 miles. Went thru a guarded gate, thru the mangroves, to a beautiful secluded white sand beach, crystal clear water, music, food for purchase, drinks, showers, changing rooms, working toilets, life guards, lounge chairs for rental. The day we went there were only about 30 people. Can't wait to go back next year. Click thumbnail for panoramic view from the water.:)

Where exactly is the kiosk, how much did it cost, and did you have to go past the gated area to get to the van? Thanks

Where exactly is the kiosk, how much did it cost, and did you have to go past the gated area to get to the van? Thanks

Kiosk in the middle of the shopping courtyard. Van picks up where all other excursions pick up, inside the gates.:)

Fee was $18pp.

Red Stripe beer was $12 a 4pk.

Other blender drinks were reasonable.

Jerk chicken with festival bread was $8

Beef patties were $4

Lounge chairs were $5 ea

Quiet, clean, friendly, great place to pass the day in Falmouth, PRICELESS:D

We just did Chukka this week -- as long as you get there first thing in the morning on one of the first excursions then you will get a free lounger and your spot of the beach. The later excursions or ships all got stuck with a normal lawn chair near the back.

They had a limited bar with $5-$6 drinks, $2 chocolate bars, etc. (negative here).

We felt it could have been $5 cheaper / pp.... but when I saw Red Stripe review it felt bare.

PS: It's a minimum 4 hours, the first bus back started at 4 hour mark but you could stay longer.

Hi! We're leaving tomorrow, and are thinking about doing chukka beach. You say the buses back started at the 4 hour mark, so what time was that? What is the first excursion time? If you go on a later excursion, do you still have to stay at least 4 hours?

Kiosk in the middle of the shopping courtyard. Van picks up where all other excursions pick up, inside the gates.:)

Fee was $18pp.

Beef patties were $4

Lounge chairs were $5 ea

Thanks for the great info, more reasonably priced for 6 people!!!

Edited by funfamilyof6

Great pic!

Hi! We're leaving tomorrow, and are thinking about doing chukka beach. You say the buses back started at the 4 hour mark, so what time was that? What is the first excursion time? If you go on a later excursion, do you still have to stay at least 4 hours?

2:15pm is when the first bus was made available. Our excursion was officially listed as 8:30 start, but by the time we waited for everyone and the drive it was more like 9:00 - 9:30. ... so I guess that's more than 4 hours before first bus.

RCCL only lists 1 excursion time, but there were other ships in port hence what I meant by "first excursion time" -- make sure you beat those other ships in :-)

2:15pm is when the first bus was made available. Our excursion was officially listed as 8:30 start, but by the time we waited for everyone and the drive it was more like 9:00 - 9:30. ... so I guess that's more than 4 hours before first bus.

RCCL only lists 1 excursion time, but there were other ships in port hence what I meant by "first excursion time" -- make sure you beat those other ships in :-)

Thats the problem with us going there next March...we (Allure) are one of 6 ships parked off Jamaica that day! Yikes! We arent even going to try this, only to be very disppointed and feel like we wasted our money :(

That beach is not very wide/long.

Fee was $18pp.

Beef patties were $4

Lounge chairs were $5 ea

Did you feel good about the tour company you booked through? What is the timeline for the shuttle back to the port, do they run on a schedule or do we have a certain amount of time at the beach then have to go back? It appears buying in port is about $6 cheaper than going through the ship.

Is this Kiosk at the Falmouth dock? We are arriving from the Allure of the Seas at Falmouth. The ship charges $24 for the Red Stripe Beach. So this Kiosk is not part of Royal Caribbean I presume. If they are locate within the Falmouth port compound, I presume they are illegitimate vendors? What time do they leave in the morning? If we head out about 10am, would they still be running the shuttles? Or everyone is supposed to head off at a certain time? What is the minimum and maximum time you can stay at the beach? I think 2 to 2.5 hours is probably enough. Don't want to be stuck there for 4 hours. Are they any water spots activities you can purchase while you are there? Is the sand a gentle gradual slope, no quick drop off or sea weed? Is the water calm and crystal clear? Powdery sand? Thanks.

Hi, you mention a minimum of 4 hours, so that means if you go with the ship excursion, once they transport you there, the first option to go back is not until 4 hours later? That could be too long if there is no water sport activities on the beach. Is there shade? I wonder if you can book any alternative transportation from the Falmouth cruise port compound to take you there instead of going through the ship? Thanks.

Fee was $18pp.

Beef patties were $4

Lounge chairs were $5 ea

Another question, did you notice at the Kiosk at Falmouth cruise port, do they offer transportation to Doctor's Cover Beach just out of Montego Bay?We were there last time and really liked the beach, but don't want to go that far if we can go to a beach closer to the port that is just as nice.

Hi, you mention a minimum of 4 hours, so that means if you go with the ship excursion, once they transport you there, the first option to go back is not until 4 hours later? That could be too long if there is no water sport activities on the beach. Is there shade? I wonder if you can book any alternative transportation from the Falmouth cruise port compound to take you there instead of going through the ship? Thanks.

They did announce they could find alternative transportation for those who couldn't last until 2:15. I think you would have a hard time telling a cab where to pick you up - the beach is off of some unmarked dirt road with lots of trees; it felt like we were driving into the forest.

There was lots of shade and you can ask the attendants to put your loungers wherever you like.

Did you feel good about the tour company you booked through? What is the timeline for the shuttle back to the port, do they run on a schedule or do we have a certain amount of time at the beach then have to go back? It appears buying in port is about $6 cheaper than going through the ship.

They start running about 10-10:30 then about every 1/2 hour. The vans keep dropping people off and taking them back to the ship as well. I was hesitant at first, but someones gotta try new things. This beautiful little beach is privately owned. As they continue to make profit, they add more.

They have guards at both ends to keep the locals out. They have a small gift shop so they do not let the panhandlers pester you.

• 1 month later...
, but there were other ships in port hence what I meant by "first excursion time" -- make sure you beat those other ships in :-)

Falmouth only has room for two ships at a time. We were there with the Oasis.:eek: