Anyone on the Oceana 3rd Feb 2006

legospice

We are doing the Caribbean connection cruise on the Oceana on the 3rd Feb., anyone else joining us. It will be our first P&O cruise but have previously sailed on Princess, RCCI, Celebrity, Cunard and Carnival. What will we expect compared with the other lines? Any info/feedback is welcomed.

Donna

Hi Ali

You are raving mad woman, glad you found the boards, just need to find some more folks to get the party started, and we are off. Im counting the days already, think it must be something to do with all the nice beachwear in the shops right now that makes you want to be there. Im gonna book another cruise on Monday for Novenber 2006 on the Queen Mary 2, once again "too much of a bargain to pass up".

Speak to you soon

Donna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got an email from Anne and MIke and also Lynette and Richard. We will try to have Dinner with Lynette and Richard while we are in London. I hope we can all go on a cruise together again. I think we had such a great group. We all had such a wonderful time together. Send my love to your Mom and to you too. Happy Sailing, Joy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Retiredbrit,

Welcome-this makes 6 of us now.

I am Donna from Scotland and will be travelling with my mother Cathie on this trip, its our first with P&O but have several others under our lifejacket. I booked this trip for the ports of call, although it will be quite exhausting, i think it will have a great variety of things to do. Ive never been on such a port intensive cruise before but really looking forward to it.

Im of on a med cruise on the 4th Sept so my posts might be a bit few and far between until i come back, but i look forward to chatting with you before and during the cruise.

Donna

Thanks for the welcome. We took our first cruise last year and are going on our third in October via the Med through the Suez Canal with Thomsons. We are really looking forward to the Oceana.

I think cruising is great but we have a long way to go to catch up with many people who post.

Long term we have booked for Christmas and New Year 2006 / 7 with Celebrity on Mercury through the Panama Canal - I mustn't wish my life away but it seems such a long time to wait.

regards Alan and Joyce

Alan and Joyce- I know what you mean about wishing your life away, im always on countdown to my next cruise. Got my Med one in 2 weeks, patiently waiting for our Oceana one, and for November 2006 ive booked a transatlantic QM2 to Fort Lauderdale followed by a Majesty of the seas Bahamas cruise. Looking to see if i can squeeze and extra week of in May and do the Splendour of the seas greek islands one but i dont think the boss will be up for giving me the time off.

We were on the Celebrity Summit last year and really loved the celebrity experience, they do a lot of extra nice touches that seemed to have faded out of the other lines. I wouldnt hesitate to go with celebrity again. I just cant wait to see what P&O has to offer.

Have you researched any of the ports yet, i havent had the time, but im sure after my med cruise i will be in the Caribbean frame of mind. Some thing to dream about in those long winter nights.

Donna

Hello Donna

we have another one booked on the Oriana sailing on 13 May for a four night Spring Break from Southampton.

This was an extra really as I have a birthday on 14 may and we are going with two very good, long time friends, to celebrate in style - also so I possibly won't be able to remember, or see, to count the candles!

now I'm up to date.

I thought I would add my latest photo so you may possibly recognise me (I knew I should have shaved first :))

best wishes

Alan and Joyce

• 1 month later...

HI Alan and Joyce,

Im back from my med cruise and in caribbean mode, cant wait, im counting the weeks already (19 weeks yesterday). I really enjoyed my Med cruise, i went alone on this one and everyone (staff, crew and passengers) couldnt have been nicer when they found out i was alone. The ship was the MSC Melody, mainly Italian, french and spanish but had a fair few brits in there to party the place up. Not the best ship ive been on but certainly not the worst and deffinately had the best party atmosphere ive seen. I would def. sail with them again.

Have you had a look at the P and O website and looked at the shore excursions, i had a look the other night and there are a few good ones that i fancy so i might just have to save a little harder as normally i just like to do my own thing. One that i saw was a helicopter flight over the volcano on monserrat, bit pricey at £168 but i have this thing about volcanoes so i guess i have to do it. I wonder if santa claus could help me out here.

Got loads of stuff to catch up on so i will say ciao for now.

Donna

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi gang

a posting about nothing in particular to keep us in view

oohh its getting nearer - I hope you are all as excited as we are!

We are going for a walking holiday on the Isle of Wight for Christmas and New Year - the secret plan is to work off some of the podge to make room for the Feb 3rd extravaganza. But alas as the food is so good with hf holidays I doubt if the exercise will make any difference.

BTW we are about 5 miles from the petrol storage fire in Hemel Hempstead - fortunatly the smoke went the other way, but a number of my friends have had their housed damaged - good job it wasn't a normal working day

best wishes for a happy Christmas and New Year

regards Alan and Joyce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan and Joyce,

That was terrible about the fire, glad you are both ok and that you have no black clouds hovering over you.

A walking holiday sounds great, i wish i could escape from all the office parties and christmas songs, i swear if i hear noddy holder yell merry christmas everyone one more time i wont be rsponsible for my actions.

Only 6 weeks to go now, i better get packing.

Speak soon

Donna

• 3 weeks later...

Not long now - I see the flight times are on P and O's site. Early start to Gatwick for a 10:15 flight. I will phone tomorrow and see if seats are first come first served or if it is possible to preselect - I like a gangway seat if I can - so I can "run" up and down the aisle.:)

I recently flew on a Thomson charter and everything was extra - specific seat, meals, drinks etc plus not a lot of leg room - anyone been on a P and O charter??

Reading up about the destinations and looking at excursions trying to see what is possible on a DIY basis.

regards Alan and Joyce

Happy New Year to you both,

I got the flight times for our flight from Manchester, leave at 8am (ahhhh) we are flying down the day before and have a hotel for the night but its still an early rise, need to be there for 5am but the worst bit is the coming back, we land at 3.15am and dont leave again till 4.40pm, 12 hours in Manchester airport isnt a good thing and i cant find any hotels that do day rooms.

I had a few shore excursions picked out but after reading a review on another holidaytruths uk site from a guy from Scotland he seemed to have a great time doing everything on his own in local taxis i have decided that is what i will do, except for the rhumba on the chiva tour as it sounds fun.

A few of us are meeting up for sailaway, dont know where yet but i will let you know when i find out. Alison and Allan from Newcastle are fling from Gatwick as well, so if you hear a geordie accent it will be them.

Donna

Hi Donna and all,

Not long now. Donna’s tip on excursions is well worth thinking about.

IMHO everyone should read the review at Holiday Truths that she mentions. We have booked the Submarine on Barbados and the train on St Kitts. We have to book on the later train as the earlier one is sold out.

Other than that it seems well worth making up fours and booking a taxi trip at a fraction of the price. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

We hope to see something of the islands not just laze on a beach all the time.

Don’t forget to put your photo on the Cruise Connections web – then you get to put an * after you name.

See you on board

Regards Alan

Happy New Year to you both,

... but after reading a review on another holidaytruths uk site from a guy from Scotland he seemed to have a great time doing everything on his own in local taxis i have decided that is what i will do, except for the rhumba on the chiva tour as it sounds fun.

I was just browsing the P&O forum (the MSC forum is my usual haunt) as I am now looking for a future cruise, and spotted a name I knew.

I wonder if I'm Scottish guy you could possibly mean? ;) Or is it Abroadscots or someone else?

If it was me you are talking about I have never taken an organised tour to compare it with. I'd imagine there'd be too much queuing and bustle for my liking, but as I say I've not tried it... yet. The thing that I missed on the taxi tours, if the drivers English or my Turkish/Greek(!) wasn't up to standard was the tour guides info. In the Caribbean you should be fine though.

Have a fantastic time :cool: , Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Really thinking about the cruise now.

Ordered some US Dollars to spend on the Islands.

I have to order the taxi to take us to Gatwick.

Got to decide what to pack and check for unknown marks on my clothes – I have the habit of leaving things like that to the last minute (or so Joyce says who has to wash them!)

Check out my travel clothes steamer – great for creases – make sure I have all the usual clutter I travel with

Get the cases from the loft and nearly there – its not long now. Hope to meet some of the members of this list and Cruise Connections on board. If anything is arranged please let me know

See you soon regards Alan

Archived