Star princess

trident777

Me and my GF are interested in doing the Sat-Sat May 25 sailing on the Star Princess departing from Seattle.

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.page?voyageCode=9314&itinCode=AIS071&tourCode=&trade=A&date=0513&noOfPax=2&resType=C&ship=&bID=PCDIR&meta=I&ppax=false&itinPort=&tourIds=&duration=&tourdur=&orderBy=&filterBy=&order=

I had a couple of questions for those that have done Alaska itineraries.

What do you think of this itinerary and does it miss any important ports of call? I noticed that the inside passage route is a bit different from others but it does go to the Hubbard glacier.

What are the pros and cons of cruising in May (in terms of weather)

How would you rate your experience on the Star princess if you have been on this ship?

At this time we do not have time to combine the cruise with the inside tour of Denali National Park so is it worth it to just do the cruise now or wait until a later time when we can do the cruise+inside together?

According to the link you posted, the itinerary includes Glacier Bay, NOT Hubbard Glacier. Glacier Bay is spectacular and superior to sailings that only go to Tracy Arm.

I've been on both the Star and Golden to Alaska and have enjoyed them both. I intend to book the Star this year, hopefully soon when I sort out timing and such. I love these ships, though I don't have a lot to compare them to since I've only been on one other cruise on another line.

Since this itinerary sails round trip from Seattle, combining it with interior touring of Denali doesn't make sense. You'd return to Seattle and then have to fly back to Alaska. If you want to combine a cruise with interior land touring, you would be best to choose a one-way cruise.

You should check out the Alaska Ports of Call board here on Cruise Critic for the best information about cruising in Alaska.

We cruised Alaska exactly the same time and had the best weather ever. It was 85 degrees when we arrived in Vancouver and DH was upset I hadn't let him pack shorts. The crew even said it was one of the best ever, joked that they thought we were in the Caribbean. No rain at all and people were actually using the pool. We did Denali and quite frankly, I thought the train ride from Whittier was not that interesting, way too long, and didn't enjoy it. We had the short tour of Denali, and again, I wasn't that impressed. I love the outdoors and have seen many of our National Parks, so it's not that I don't appreciate the beauty of nature. Maybe if we had stayed there and been able to hike and explore on our own, but the bus trip in and what it entailed to get there was not worth it in my opinion. You are seeing the major ports and Glacier Bay, which was the highlight of the trip for me. Also Victoria is beautiful and don't miss Butchart Gardens if you go. Can't comment on the Star Princess as we haven't sailed on her yet, but we are sailing on her in January, so hoping she is great! I say go for it and book the cruise!

thanks guys for all the info. I have read that Hubbard glacier is not to be missed and the Princess southbound itineraries are better in coverage than the roundtrip Seattle itineraries. Perhaps I could find one where we can fly to Anchorage and head southbound and then fly back from Seattle?

We have done the Seattle RT twice, Diamond and Golden, and had a marvelous time. The Tracy Arm part was not to be missed. Make sure you do some whale watching, too. (on some kind of excursion) We saw whales out the window from the dining room. I agree with those who enjoyed Victoria. The first time we did a "Haunted Victoria" tour. Our son really likes those and we try to do them when we can find one. It was more history than anything else and very interesting. The second time, the seas were too rough for us to dock, so we missed Victoria. It was disappointing, but that's the way i goes, sometimes.

We took the Star on a Baltic cruise. That was also a great time and we really enjoyed the ship. It was a few years ago now, but the amenities were nice, the service great and the food was the best we have had on any Princess ship. We thought the Star was a nice size ship with lots of activities, yet we never felt crowded. We would take the Star again. No question.

Ohiodoglover

We are on this cruise. Did the Inside Passage NB on the Diamond in 2008. Glacier Bay is not to be missed and I, personally, would not consider an Alaska cruise that did not include GB. Never been on the Star, but can't imagine that it would take anything away from the beauty of an Alaska cruise.

thanks, unfortunately due to my new job I am really busy and can spare only memorial day week off (memorial day + 4 more weekdays off), so the southbound itineraries are out because they are 9-10 days. I guess something is better than nothing :D I guess Glacier Bay without the Hubbard glacier will still be worth it.

thanks, unfortunately due to my new job I am really busy and can spare only memorial day week off (memorial day + 4 more weekdays off), so the southbound itineraries are out because they are 9-10 days. I guess something is better than nothing :D I guess Glacier Bay without the Hubbard glacier will still be worth it.

Princess has four ships sailing the 7-day southbound Voyage of the Glaciers from Achorage to Vancouver.

We've cruised Alaska four times. Any itinerary is better than none. Just plan on going back. Alaska is way too big to see in one trip anyway. The inside passage route will give you calmer seas in case of a late season storm. You might have 85 degree weather but don't count on it! 60 is more likely. I would go for glacier bay over hubbard. Its amazing! Happy cruising.

Princess has four ships sailing the 7-day southbound Voyage of the Glaciers from Achorage to Vancouver.

You are absolutely right, the result did not show up in my search on *********** but I was able to find it on princesscruises.com, thanks a lot! :)

How we did Alaska was to go up from Vancouver for a 7 day cruise stopping at the 3 cities on the way, then spent 7 days on shore going to Denali, Fairbanks and a bus ride up to the Arctic Ocean and Deadhorse and took the Dalton Highway that is featured in Ice Road Truckers. We then flew back to Anchorage stayed overnight and then caught a different Princess ship back to Vancouver which was basically the same itinerary except the Bays were different. Fabulous way to do it as we had the chance to do 2 shore excursions at each city in Alaska.

Hope that helps, it does take 21 days to do that one.

Archived