Priceline and Hotwire?

dmk

We use these sites and I have no idea what you are referring to. Can you explain? And ... Hotwire doesn't require bidding. Oh! Are you talking about taxes? That is determined by the state and/or city and varies on location.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. Suppose you select a hotel in Miami from Hotwire. The price for example is $135. But you pay more than that in the final price when you check out. What I'm asking is what % does Hotwire add to arrive at the final price.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. Suppose you select a hotel in Miami from Hotwire. The price for example is $135. But you pay more than that in the final price when you check out. What I'm asking is what % does Hotwire add to arrive at the final price.

Recently got the Renaissance in Ft Lauderdale fpr $107 on Hotwire. Taxes and fees were $19.61. Something tells me the taxes are 11%, which is $11.77. That means the fee was around 7.5%.

Recently got the Renaissance in Ft Lauderdale fpr $107 on Hotwire. Taxes and fees were $19.61. Something tells me the taxes are 11%, which is $11.77. That means the fee was around 7.5%.

Thanks very much:). That's what I wanted to know. Do you happen to know how much Priceline adds to the final bid. I am trying to compare the two.

just go to the hotwire website, pick a deal in the city of interest, note the price, and click the button as if considering a purchase...it will give you the tax and fee number. hen go to priceline, same city, pretend you are thinking of making a bid, enter the price above, and the next page will give you their tax and fee figure.

If you want to know how much is tax, try google. or ask an area hotel.

Tax for hotels in Ft L is 11% Anything over that added to the bill is a service charge to the booking site. Easy to figure out. As suggested "pretend book" and you can see a total due on many booking sites. I wouldn't worry about a fee added...just look at final cost due and pick the best value.

Hotwire generally runs a little higher than Priceline because of its opaque nature. You can narrow down which hotel you are looking at. Can't do that on blind sites like PL. Plus on Hotwire you can book guaranteed rooms for more than two people. A biggie for groups.

Plus, for Priceline the amount they make depends on what the bid is. Example: Hotel X contacts Priceline that they have inventory for $50/room. Abe bids $51 and wins Hotel X , Bruce bids $55 and gets hotel X. They have already made $4 more from Bruce before the fee is added, plus Bruce has to pay taxes on that extra $4. This is another reason why researching the hotels and area before bidding is so important, you don't want to overbid.

Archived